David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came in here to post that. Even greater than leaving us with Blackstar, obviously.

It's better when you read "It's not a very good song, is it?" aloud in his voice.

I wonder why they wanted to make their humiliation public. Maybe they were so excited that he dignified their request with an actual response it didn't matter.

Yeah kind of strange they'd admit he thought their song sucked. Maybe Champion doesn't like Martin's songwriting either and this is the beginning of the end. :ohmy:

Love Coldplay, but this has made me very very happy.

I wonder why they wanted to make their humiliation public. Maybe they were so excited that he dignified their request with an actual response it didn't matter.

Dude, have you SEEN Chris Martin? The bloke is a walking personification of humiliation.

Haven't posted in here in a while but having read through all the pages since his death, I thought I'd like to post my 15 most recently played since just over a week ago. I was surprised at how much the news hit me, and I spent the week going over a lot of his albums again, and visiting Heddon St, Brixton and Beckenham etc. Such sad times, but what a wonderful back catalogue to have for us to enjoy and hopefully future generations too!

"I've got drama, can't be stolen..."

Be My Wife
Watch That Man
Five Years
The Buddha Of Suburbia
I Have Not Been To Oxford Town
Days
Where Are We Now?
Blackstar
Breaking Glass
Cracked Actor
Thursday's Child
Loving The Alien
Slow Burn
Life On Mars?
Lady Stardust

The guitars on Watch that Man are awesome. They rip so hard. Ken Scott hates the production on that track - he doesn't like how far the vocals are buried - but I like it. The guitars on Aladdin Sane in general are amazing.

Speaking of guitars, I really love how Bowie played everything on Diamond Dogs save for one track (1984). Considering it's an album with Rebel Rebel on it that's pretty impressive.

Having said that, the guitar work on the whole Man Who Sold The World album is just killer. Heavy, heavy stuff on there. In accordance with my blasphemous preference of Lodger over Low, I think I like the like the TMWSTW more than Ziggy Stardust.

I don't necessarily agree with that latter opinion, but I cosign any and all Man Who Sold the World praise. That album is a blast.

Speaking of guitars, I really love how Bowie played everything on Diamond Dogs save for one track (1984). Considering it's an album with Rebel Rebel on it that's pretty impressive.

Having said that, the guitar work on the whole Man Who Sold The World album is just killer. Heavy, heavy stuff on there. In accordance with my blasphemous preference of Lodger over Low, I think I like the like the TMWSTW more than Ziggy Stardust.

Alan Parker played the Rebel Rebel riff too. But I totally agree that Bowie's playing on Diamond Dogs is great. I love that grinding sound he uses. His solo on Sweet Thing (reprise) is amazing.

TMWSTW is my least favorite of Bowie's 70s albums (Running Gun Blues doesn't do much for me), but Mick Ronson fucking slays on it. If it was an 80s, 00s, or 10s release it would be in my top 20 though. Bowie was just too good in the 70s.

I'm surprised that Lodger isn't atop more people's Bowie lists. It's so much fun.

Hunky Dory is very safely my second favorite Bowie album, behind Low.

I definitely like Man Who Sold the World more than Hunky Dory.

No.

Definitely. But I'll be blasphemous and say that I'm not a big fan of Hunky Dory.

WTF.

Hunky Dory is very safely my second favorite Bowie album, behind Low.

This is more like it.

Alan Parker played the Rebel Rebel riff too. But I totally agree that Bowie's playing on Diamond Dogs is great. I love that grinding sound he uses. His solo on Sweet Thing (reprise) is amazing.

TMWSTW is my least favorite of Bowie's 70s albums (Running Gun Blues doesn't do much for me), but Mick Ronson fucking slays on it.

I am not sure that what you are saying is true about Rebel Rebel. I only see him cited for guitar on 1984.

Wiki agrees with the album credits. No mention of Parker on that track.

Last edited:
Keep streaming Lazarus! Though getting in the Top 40 at all was amazing. Blackstar also charted at #78.

Listening to Lodger today, and it is a lot of fun - extremely adventurous. My favorite part is when the instrumentation breaks in DJ and he belts out "time flies when you're having fun" but does so in the most disinterested tone possible. The contrast is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom