David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone mentioned the drumming on this album earlier, right? They weren't lying. This drummer cooks. Whooo. I love it. Honestly reminds me of Philip Selway a bit...to make a reference to someone doing something in the same "rock" world.

The Blackstar title track is really just fucking breathtaking.

??

While I wouldn't call myself a Bowie super fan (I actually only own 4 albums of his, excluding a hits compilation), this whole album is breathtaking. It's mighty good.

That title track might be my favourite.. Fair effort to make a 10-minute song that is so wonderfully compelling from start to finish.

Absolutely loving Girl Loves Me too.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Incredible. He's ruling the Amazon and ITunes charts too. I can't imagine how many people are being introduced to his music for the first time. Yesterday, Low was at 30 on Amazon USA. That's amazing. Imagine being a mainstream music listener in 2016 and hearing Warszawa for the first time. Or those deranged pop songs, which I found stranger than side 2 back in 1996. Lives will be changed. More people listening to his music and knowing how he lived his life is a great thing.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using U2 Interference mobile app

Alright, this is cool.

David Bowie Honored With Lightning Bolt-Shaped Constellation | News | Pitchfork

fdd813ee.jpg

The constellation is fittingly "in the vicinity of Mars."

So what's everyone's top 10 favorite Bowie songs?
Mine would be
01 Rock N' Roll Suicide
02 Heroes
03 Teenage Wildlife
04 Subterraneans
05 Life On Mars?
06 Five Years
07 Memory of A Free Festival
08 Lady Grinning Soul
09 Stay
10 Panic In Detroit

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Impossible to choose just 10 that I would be satisfied with, let alone put them in order. Here are 10 that I wouldn't want to live without, in some semblance of an order:

Life on Mars?
Heroes
Moonage Daydream
Aladdin Sane
Lady Grinning Soul
Stay
Five Years
Golden Years
Teenage Wildlife
The Width of a Circle

Incredible. He's ruling the Amazon and ITunes charts too. I can't imagine how many people are being introduced to his music for the first time. Yesterday, Low was at 30 on Amazon USA. That's amazing. Imagine being a mainstream music listener in 2016 and hearing Warszawa for the first time. Or those deranged pop songs, which I found stranger than side 2 back in 1996. Lives will be changed. More people listening to his music and knowing how he lived his life is a great thing.

:up:

Young Americans
Life on Mars?
"Heroes"
Sound and Vision
Bring Me The Disco King
Queen Bitch
Modern Love
Sunday
Teenage Wildlife
Station to Station

So what's everyone's top 10 favorite Bowie songs?
Mine would be
01 Rock N' Roll Suicide
02 Heroes
03 Teenage Wildlife
04 Subterraneans
05 Life On Mars?
06 Five Years
07 Memory of A Free Festival
08 Lady Grinning Soul
09 Stay
10 Panic In Detroit

This was too hard. Can't believe I left off "Quicksand". Brutally difficult to condense 25 albums into a top 10.
Anyone think they can do a full 1-25 album ranking? I can't.

Off the top of my head, in chronological order

Life on Mars?
Station to Station
Golden Years
Be My Wife
Beauty and the Beast
Heroes
Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)
Teenage Wildlife
Let's Dance
The Next Day

Also chronological:

Life on Mars?
The bewlay brothers
Sweet thing-candidate-sweet thing
Station to Station
Word on a wing
Always crashing in the same car
Beauty and the beast
"Heroes"
Ashes to ashes
Slow burn

Albums

Low
Station to station
Hunky dory
Heroes
Ziggy stardust
Diamond dogs
Blackstar
Lodger
Outside
Heathen
Scary Monsters
Aladdin sane
The next day
Young Americans
The man who sold the world
Earthling
Buddha of Suburbia
Reality
Pin-ups
Space Oddity
Let's dance
Black tie white noise
Hours
Tonight
Tin machine 2
Tin machine
Never let me down

Last edited:
TMWSTW would be most good band's best album.

There are far too many Bowie albums I've either never heard or only listened to once, so I'm not going to try to make any top 10 lists. I hate being the person who didnt know much past Honky Dory, Ziggy, Low and Aladdin Sane until after the guy died, but sadly, I am that person.

Albums I haven't heard:

Pin Ups
Tonight
Never Let Me Down
Tin Machine I
Tin Machine II
Black Tie White Noise
Buddha of Suburbia
Hours

Buddha of Suburbia is excellent, if a little like yuppie supper club music in spots. It was a very personal record, and one of Bowie's favorites, if not his favorite. Pin-Ups is good if only for the production and tightness of the band. Black Tie is ok. Tonight gas two good songs (loving the alien and blue Jean), and the rest is horrible. Never let me down is the worst record ever made, and tin machine are irredeemable. It boggles the mind how Bowie became so, so bad. Oh, and Hours is completely forgettable. Not awful, but not good.

Hollow Island is way off the mark on Tin Machine, particularly the first album. A much-needed rejuvenation after a career low point, not very arty or conceptual but a lot of energy. Some good blues rock and even a hint of the grunge sound soon to become popular (I Can't Read). And the lyrics are more political than usual for Bowie. A little long but the first half is stellar.

Tin machine lyrics are OK, but they were a very monotonous band. It was essential to Bowie's recovery, though. He didn't seem to have a clear purpose until Buddha of Suburbia, and he was "back" from then on, intent-wise anyway. Still, it wouldn't have happened without Tin Machine. They made him want to play again. Then he did the soulless Sound&Vision tour and put TM2 on the back burner. THEN he tried to be a commercial force again...he had a pretty rough time 83-93.

10 favorite songs? Difficult! No particular order:

Moonage Daydream
Rebel Rebel
Space Oddity
Lazarus
Cat People
Ziggy Stardust
Sound and Vision
(You Will) Set the World on Fire
Slow Burn
Cracked Actor

Hrm, the outfit Bowie wore in the Lazarus video is very similar to the outfit he wore for the Station to Station photo shoot.

Never let me down is the worst record ever made, and tin machine are irredeemable. It boggles the mind how Bowie became so, so bad. Oh, and Hours is completely forgettable. Not awful, but not good.

Can't really disagree about NLMD, although Time Will Crawl is a great track, & some of the B-sides from that LPs singles are well worth a listen, especially Julie, but Tin Machine is definitely worth a listen to anyone who hasn't heard either album before, both, imo, contain some classics, Prisoner Of Love from the first is regularly on any Bowie playlist I make, as is One Shot, You Belong In Rock 'n' Roll, Shopping For Girls, Goodbye Mr. Ed,....
And as for Hours, along with Space oddity his most under rated album. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom