David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I love Fall Dog too. Reality is the weakest of his 21st century records, but I have a lot of affection for a few songs on it. It was also new when I first became a fan so I have some attachment to it on that level.

I hated that MTV interview as interviewer assumed that Midwest is filled with racists, which isn't really true

But this was in 1983. I don't think he was inferring the midwest was filled with racists, moreso that middle America was fairly "white bread" for lack of a better term, and he wasn't completely wrong. Its just how to properly express that which caused him problems.

Bowie had a very valid point, but truth was that in its infancy, MTV was targeting white teenagers, and Goodman was trying to explain it off much like how radio stations programmed, rock stations vs. pop stations vs country etc., all have different target demographics. Goodman said something like "we play rock music" during the interview, basically saying MTV's target demographic at that time was similar to a rock radio station.

Whoa, what the fuck, Earthling is a lot more enjoyable than I thought it would be. Drum and bass usually sounds dated to me, but the beats are implemented very tastefully and there are some strong melodies here. Not bad at all.

I'll say Small Wonder is a highlight as well. The arrangement on that one is crazy, it's like four songs in one.

I grew up in Bum Fuck, and Prince was absolutely huge among my fellow young caucasoids in the early 80s.

Odd that the VJ would single him out as "scary."

Granted, my mom probably wouldn't have approved of Jack U Off if she had known what was on that cassette, but even she was a fan of Purple Rain.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This interview was well before Purple Rain and when Prince was just hitting the mainstream with "Little Red Corvette" and "1999". As you mention stuff like "Jack U Off", "Head" etc., Prince prior to that was "scary" to programmers, but not in a racist way, more in a content way.

Prince became an MTV staple right around the time this interview aired:
Prince's "Little Red Corvette" was one of the first two videos by a black artist played in heavy rotation on MTV, along with Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean".

By the time Purple Rain was released Prince was as prominent on MTV as Madonna, Duran Duran or anyone else.

Last edited:
Looking up some old live footage, some of this is absolutely priceless:

^ Ronson's solo...FUCKKKKKK

The shared vocal with Bowie and Ronson :up:

I had no idea this one received a television performance or any sort of promotion. Fun to hear it tweaked for max disco appeal despite it being 100% sleaze on the album.

I'm not as familiar with his post-80s work as I'd like to be either outside of 4 or 5 albums, but I'm a huge Heathen fan.

This is way off. Black Tie White Noise didn't make many waves in the U.S., despite collaborating with Let's Dance producer Nile Rodgers again, but it went to #1 in the UK and had a big single with Jump They Say. But he made a very sharp left turn 2 years later with his Brian Eno reunion. Outside wasn't a popular success overall, but the video for Heart's Filthy Lesson made a big splash on MTV, and combined with his shocking new look (the spiked red hair) he became "cool" again among the alternative rock crowd, leading to the tour with Nine Inch Nails. That was a big fucking deal.

He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1996. And as pointed out above by someone else, the I'm Afraid of Americans collaboration with Trent Reznor was another huge alternative hit, even if the album Earthling wasn't a major seller.

So while he did take a nosedive after this period, he was hardly "a joke" in this decade.

I'm Afraid of Americans is the song that really introduced me to Bowie and got me into his earlier stuff.

Bowie was cool as fuck from 1995-1998. The Brian Eno/Trent Reznor era was divisive but at least he was trying. David Lynch brought him and Reznor on board for Lost Highway, for God's sake. Of course he was cool.

But this was in 1983. I don't think he was inferring the midwest was filled with racists, moreso that middle America was fairly "white bread" for lack of a better term, and he wasn't completely wrong. Its just how to properly express that which caused him problems.

Bowie had a very valid point, but truth was that in its infancy, MTV was targeting white teenagers, and Goodman was trying to explain it off much like how radio stations programmed, rock stations vs. pop stations vs country etc., all have different target demographics. Goodman said something like "we play rock music" during the interview, basically saying MTV's target demographic at that time was similar to a rock radio station.

They're right about Poughkeepsie though. (I didnt watch the video, did they really say Poughkeepsie or was that just gump throwing that town in?)

They're right about Poughkeepsie though. (I didnt watch the video, did they really say Poughkeepsie or was that just gump throwing that town in?)

No no, he explicitly mentions Poughkeepsie and the Midwest. I have nothing against Poughkeepsie.

Every time i watch the video for Blackstar i notice something different. The Lazarus video (and song) is just perfect. Both are absurdly great. I am guessing we won't get anymore videos from this great album...but damn it would be nice if there were a few more surprises like these under wraps somewhere.

HELP ME.

So I've gone with

Memory of a Free Festival
Queen Bitch
Time
A New Career in a New Town
Always Crashing in the Same Car
Joe the Lion
The Secret Life of Arabia
Teenage Wildlife
Strangers When We Meet
Bring Me the Disco King

That's ten. But I really, really want to include Lady Grinning Soul. But I can't bring myself to get rid of any of the above. I feel like the obvious ones to go would be Joe the Lion and Strangers When We Meet, but I really fucking love the former and really want to talk about the krautrock that makes "Heroes" such a good album aside from the title track. The latter is a bit more generic which makes me think it could go but it is a really great song and it's one of only two-post Let's Dance songs, so I kind of need to keep it in. I wasn't going to have Teenage Wildlife either but I'm realising that Scary Monsters is actually a phenomenal album and if I'd listened to it more that song would be a huge favourite. Plus "I'll miss you but he really had to go."

HELP ME I HAVE TO FILE IN AN HOUR :scream: :scream: :scream:

Strangers When We Meet isn't a deep cut. It was a single and went top 40 in the UK, which by definition means you didn't have to dig "deep" to find that particular "cut." So switch that out for Lady Grinning Soul. Problem solved.

Last edited:
FUCK I've already filed. I put Lady Grinning Soul in the honorable mentions section. Said I "desperately wanted to include it". FUUUUCKKKKK kill me.

I mean, technically, Memory of a Free Festival was a single too, as was Time. I don't think most readers will know these songs, so it's fine. I just picked out Strangers When We Meet because it's the only one with a chart placement that I could find.

Strangers is a bizarre single for that album.

I read somewhere today that it's like a companion piece to Heroes and I can kind of hear he resemblance.

Strangers is a bizarre single for that album.

I read somewhere today that it's like a companion piece to Heroes and I can kind of hear he resemblance.

Teenage Wildlife cribs more from Heroes I'd say.

I'm going to try and buy Blackstar, Scary Monsters, Heathen and Outside today.

Scary Monsters is the greatest album evarrrr and Teenage Wildlife is the pinnacle of existence.

Good luck buying anything Bowie right now. I found a $38 copy of the 1967 debut and the Absolute Beginners soundtrack on vinyl. That's it.

So I've been telling my GF that if we get married, "Tis A Pity She Was A Whore" would be a great song to be played when she goes down the aisle. I love trolling and I believe my wedding should be no exception. Maybe if I'm lucky her family would never want to ever remain in contact again...

Last edited:
So I've been telling my GF that if we get married, "Tis A Pity She Was A Whore" would be a great song to be played when she goes down the aisle. I love trolling and I believe my wedding should be no exception. Maybe if I'm lucky her family would never want to ever remain in contact again...

I Can't Give Everything Away would be her father's choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom