David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In resisting this omnipresent pressure to confess to physical or mental weakness, Bowie did something heroic. He reminded us of the sanctity of private life. On the last track on Blackstar, he sings: ‘I can’t give everything away.’ There. That’s it. We must all keep something for ourselves, far from the eyes of supposed experts and therapists and audiences who want to know everything about us.

Very interesting. I hadn't seen the line that way.

God, I love that song.

As for the absolute privacy of his passing, I agree that it would once have been (relatively) unexceptional; as it is, it's some kind of feat of organisation.

I was just saying to Liam that all of sudden it is hard to argue that "Heroes" isn't one of the best songs of all time. One of the very rare songs that has both absolute critical consensus and popular love. Reckon there'd be about 10-15 songs in history with a similar rep.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Whoever it is playing drums on the whole Blackstar album is a real talent. I saw that James Murphy contributed percussion to a couple of tracks (surprisingly, the shorter ones), but I can't credit him for everything this time.

Apparently he met a number of the jazz musicians that play on the album in the 55 bar (a jazz club) in NYC when he was attending a Donny McCaslin quartet show. The four musicians are Donny McCaslin (sax), Jason Lindner (keyboard), Tim Lefebvre (bass) and Mark Guiliana (drums).

It's cool that he was drawing on the local jazz scene, much like Kendrick did on TPAB. That quartet will play a series of (pre-scheduled) shows at the Village Vanguard this weekend, which should be pretty good.

Last edited:
The "Lazarus" video had about 400,000 views on YouTube as of Sunday. Already up to nearly 14M. I really hope Blackstar goes #1 in the charts.

Probably out of morbid curiosity brought on by the articles that talked about how it related to his death. It's such a great song. Blackstar is a stunning record, and it's wonderful that it was regarded as such before he died and that its reputation isn't bolstered and thus cheapened by pity or whatever makes people check someone out AFTER they die.

Heathen-Reality-The Next Day (Extra)-Blackstar is a stellar run. Reality is the weakest of the bunch, but it's still really good.

Bowie's the best. I had no idea there was so much love for him. In the 90s he was a joke, early 00s nobody cared... But then something happened before he died, maybe around 2010. And he was kind enough to return and give us around 30 new songs. I' m really sad and feel like I lost a friend rather than my favorite musician, but the records will always be there.

I feel really bad for his daughter. It must be awful to lose your dad so young. Hopefully the public outpouring of sadness, admiration and love for the man help her a bit. If not now, then maybe in the future. As for me, it's going to be weird to not wonder what he's going to do next.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using U2 Interference mobile app

Blackstar is a stunning record, and it's wonderful that it was regarded as such before he died and that its reputation isn't bolstered and thus cheapened by pity or whatever makes people check someone out AFTER they die.

Agree that this is true and glad I listened to the record on Friday before he passed. But wow, it's so clear now in retrospect that he is foretelling his own death, I'll never be able to experience it the same way again.

Blackstar is in my local Amazon locker awaiting pickup. I'm going to the gym after work, then picking up that puppy and cranking it up while I enjoy a glass of wine.

Blackstar is in my local Amazon locker awaiting pickup. I'm going to the gym after work, then picking up that puppy and cranking it up while I enjoy a glass of wine.

I don't know why I didn't preorder it. I figured I'd just pick it up this week. :banghead:. The vinyl is just completely gone and people are really taking advantage of his passing online. There's plenty of reassurance it's going to be repressed, though, so I'll just have to wait it out, I guess.

The "Lazarus" video had about 400,000 views on YouTube as of Sunday. Already up to nearly 14M. I really hope Blackstar goes #1 in the charts.

I may have posted this earlier, i dont recall, but anyway sunday afternoon i was going to order Blackstar, Heathen, and Next Day but then i decided to hold off and ordered a jacket instead. I figured i would go and pickup Blackstar at a local record shop and then possibly use an Amazon coupon to get more albums later.

So yesterday after i got home from work, i went back to my Amazon cart and there sat Blackstar. I actually ordered it and a bundle they had which included 'the next day' and 'nothing has changed'. Funny thing is, they all went backorder as there was no stock! So maybe Blackstar will be #1.

Probably out of morbid curiosity brought on by the articles that talked about how it related to his death. It's such a great song. Blackstar is a stunning record, and it's wonderful that it was regarded as such before he died and that its reputation isn't bolstered and thus cheapened by pity or whatever makes people check someone out AFTER they die.

Heathen-Reality-The Next Day (Extra)-Blackstar is a stellar run. Reality is the weakest of the bunch, but it's still really good.

Bowie's the best. I had no idea there was so much love for him. In the 90s he was a joke, early 00s nobody cared... But then something happened before he died, maybe around 2010. And he was kind enough to return and give us around 30 new songs. I' m really sad and feel like I lost a friend rather than my favorite musician, but the records will always be there.

I feel really bad for his daughter. It must be awful to lose your dad so young. Hopefully the public outpouring of sadness, admiration and love for the man help her a bit. If not now, then maybe in the future. As for me, it's going to be weird to not wonder what he's going to do next.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using U2 Interference mobile app

Very well said :up:

David Bowie..... is.... David Bowie.

The best compliment for a person/artist is, if nobody even tries to compare you with peers.

David Bowie was such a unique artist/human being.

And what a strong last album he delivered. Knowing it will be the last one. Not an easy task.

It is strange to realize his death... I was not really a die-hard fan. But since my first memories late 70s, early 80s, this man... David Bowie was always there...

Bowie's the best. I had no idea there was so much love for him. In the 90s he was a joke, early 00s nobody cared...

I was surrounded by more than a few people who thought he was over in the 90s. I'm pretty biased as I had quite a bit of turmoil in the 90s, I can't really detach myself emotionally from the music I liked in that decade; it's why for example I love U2's from then so much, and Outside is still one of the albums that I listen to most, especially when traveling about town since I don't drive.

Also, couldn't decide which one to post, so here's both:

Last edited:
From what I remember their was a critical revival of Bowies late 90s work following I'm Afraid of Americans.

Well, it has Blue Jean, which is a seriously great song (and has an awesome extended video). And Loving the Alien ain't too bad. But it's not a great album.

'hours...' is without doubt his worst though. Everything about it is bad.

Is there any chance, given the Lazarus point of reference, that he drops another album in the very near future, almost as a post-script?

Visconti had said there were a bunch of leftover tracks when The Next Day was released, so most likely something will eventually see the light of day I imagine, whether its a full album or not who knows.

I do hope there won't be an Endless River for Bowie. This seems like such a perfect send-off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom