David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It sucks that he is dead. But damn, the outpouring of sympathy and exposure on social media is incredible. For such a visually progressive and visually artistically pushing artist, it seems fitting that he'd be remembered and have his various incarnations shared on the social media platform.

Yeah, pretty cool for sure aside from the usual folks who act like they fucking knew him or something, but you'll always have those over the top folks. I also tend to not really feel sadness over famous people dying since I didn't know them personally.

But overall really happy about the outpouring for him. Well deserved. :up:

Outside indeed needs revisiting. My favourite Bowie album not from the 70s, along with Heathen (Blackstar is definitely a new contender though). If it was somewhat shorter, it would truly be a classic record. The first and last third of the record are excellent. It just drags in the middle, and has way too many segues.

Oddly enough, I just ordered a used copy of Outside an hour ago. I must have let someone borrow it and never got it back becusze I haven't had it on my shelf in years.

It's probably not in danger of going out of print but I just wanted to have the physical copy. The artwork/booklet is dated but pretty damed cool, and essential considering the conceptual nature of the album.

We Prick You-I'm Deranged-Thru' These Architects' Eyes-Strangers When We Meet

That's a fantastic collection of songs to close out the record. If David Fincher and David Lynch use some of the tracks from the album for the opening or closing credits of their films, you know there's some great material there.

How is Earthling? I put that into my 'check out' playlist after hearing "I'm Afraid of Americans" this morning and remembering how great that song is.

You hear all the time about people who are dying who hold out just long enough for a special event like a wedding or a graduation, or for a son or daughter to arrive at their side, or other very personal moments and then pass away in peace because they got that one final thing. This feels like that to me. That he started it 18 months ago and was apparently diagnosed 18 months ago surely is not a coincidence.

This album was his final gift to the world. He saw it through to it's release, read the fantastic reviews and saw how happy people were with it, and then was able to let go and die in peace. It's tragic and beautiful at the same time.

20 or more years ago I boxed up some stuff from the 70s and 80s and put it in my attic, for some time now I have been planning on getting it out, worried the heat, elements, moister and silverfish that live with me may have taken a toll.

552be169-5b21-4ca4-8ff1-041bffdb29b7.jpg

8c8c8397-f21e-45ff-9f51-aa1f9a4938f8.jpg

boxes full of original photographs, did they make it?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...Ic42/979ad7c6-2b42-4226-a3af-77a4c74fc8da.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...Ic42/1d7b2e07-aab2-409f-86f3-8bf0a87a6006.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...Ic42/95ef7b12-a8b9-4475-98a2-c2fcd241d322.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...Ic42/314ef707-4df9-4e69-8b40-116098adaefe.jpg

Last edited:
We Prick You-I'm Deranged-Thru' These Architects' Eyes-Strangers When We Meet

That's a fantastic collection of songs to close out the record. If David Fincher and David Lynch use some of the tracks from the album for the opening or closing credits of their films, you know there's some great material there.

Strangers is so out-of-step with the experimentation of what precedes it, but it's such a lovely track. And I'm glad he didn't hold onto it because it would have been even more out of place on Earthling...

How is Earthling? I put that into my 'check out' playlist after hearing "I'm Afraid of Americans" this morning and remembering how great that song is.

Well, it's pretty dance/drum & bass influenced, and definitely harder/more energetic than Outside. And a couple songs that are more mellow like Seven Years in Tibet and Looking For Satellites.

This is worth a read:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthling_(album)#Album_background_and_development

You hear all the time about people who are dying who hold out just long enough for a special event like a wedding or a graduation, or for a son or daughter to arrive at their side, or other very personal moments and then pass away in peace because they got that one final thing. This feels like that to me. That he started it 18 months ago and was apparently diagnosed 18 months ago surely is not a coincidence.

Someone on another forum said that Warren Zevon was a huge James Bond fan and was hoping he could fight his cancer long enough to see the upcoming film before he died. Unfortunately, that film was Die Another Day, and double-unfortunately he did manage to stay alive to see it. :huh:

While we were doing the Bowie survivor (thank God we finished that!) I listened to all of his albums. Some of them for the first and, thusfar, only time. I know I wrote a lot of first impression posts back then, I'll have to go dig them up for Earthling and Outside.

I've never been able to get into the Berlin albums.

I love love LOVE the song Heroes (easily my all-time favorite Bowie song), but, at the risk of inciting the wrath of BoMac, I just don't get it.

Another Amazing acting role. I had a weird feeling around the New Year that we were going to lose an aging rock star soon. Didn't think it would have been him.

"Do you remember your President Nixon?"

Another Amazing acting role. I had a weird feeling around the New Year that we were going to lose an aging rock star soon. Didn't think it would have been him.

"Do you remember your President Nixon?"

"The Prestige" is a phenomenal movie. I might need to watch that tonight....

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I might be twisted out of my mind but I'm pretty sure one of those pictures deep posted is Tom Waits and not David Bowie.

you are out of your mind, but yes that is Tom Waits as I wrote I put a bunch of stuff from the 70s and 80s in my attic,

the first picture of the box has Bowie, Waits, and Stones written on it. These are great pictures from that era, in small venues in the L A market I attended. Most of the pictures were taken by legit photographers. I did take the Waits pictures. I got 6-7 boxes of this stuff, since this sad event prompted me to get some down I should probably get the rest and put them on eBay or Craigslist or just donate them to intermediate assholes,

along with Bowie, there are Stones, Springsteen with Clarence, LZ, and more I can not recall right now. My best memories go back to those shows and venues, as they are starting to fade away these days.

edit to add: David gets full credit for being one of our best contributors to this site

Last edited:
Believe it or not Bowie took pictures with his longtime photographer on Friday, 2 days before his death.

This one has been released, not sure his many others there are:

david-bowie2.jpg

You have to love this, laughing in the face of death.

One I've seen posted a lot today is him giving a salute...he seems to be on the roof of a tall building and it looks cold out. Is that a really recent one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom