David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My coffee hadn't kicked in at all when I heard the news. I was out of the David Bowie loop and wasn't really aware how sick he was. My first memories of him were from the early 80's when MTV used to play the shit out of Let's Dance. Still love that song. The man was a rock n' roll chameleon.

Awful news. One of the greatest musicians of the last 100 years. Everybody has his particular favourite Bowie era, but Low is for me an album that has a very special place - not only does it contain some of the most emotional and atmospheric tracks I've ever heard (I can't think of any music that depicts the worn down and desolate urban landscapes of Eastern Europe as well as the 2nd half of Low), it also opened for me new pathways and discoveries in this gigantic world of music.

I also loved listening to his interviews and comments on music - it was unusual seeing this larger-than-life persona talking about bands like The Velvet Underground, Pixies, Sonic Youth and Nine Inch Nails like a fanboy, analyzing a great deal what makes those bands so dear to him - just like we do here.

I think it's safe to say that he was one of those artists who perhaps contributed the most to the concept of reinvention and defying expectations in rock and roll. His catalogue is truly a behemoth organism of many layers and sounds, revealing so much after repeated listenings, where one experiences immense and brilliant soundscapes behind all those subterraneans.

Rest in peace.

I also didn't even know about his new album until today, and yes, it's fucking marvelous. I'm so grateful he gave us this before he left.

(cuz his last one was yeeeeeeesh)

He's not the first to do this, but channeling his artistic vision until the very end and leaving behind this last album - which may well be a masterpiece - is awe-inspiring.

Woke up in the middle of the night and grabbed my phone to check the time. Saw 4 breaking news alerts that Bowie had died. I'm still in shock. It was hard to fall back asleep.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Couple illuminating reads.

The first about writing and content:

‪The Beautiful Meaninglessness of David Bowie - The New Yorker

Words from Visconti about its release:

David Bowie's last release, Lazarus, was 'parting gift' for fans in carefully planned finale - Telegraph

So yeah, it looks like this has been in the can for a while, and he tried to release it as close to his death as possible. Just wow.

Yeah it is just amazing. Reminds me of something that happened in my own life, though i don't want to get too much into that. But still, he truly was in command of his own life and marched to the beat of his own drum, even in death. Blackstar was a gift, no doubt about that, for which i/we are all greatful.

I almost ordered Blackstar (and others) off of Amazon yesterday, for no particular reason i decided to wait instead.

Tony Visconti, the producer who worked with Bowie to complete his final album, has released a statement saying it was deliberately created and timed as a "parting gift" for his fans.

In a statement on his Facebook page, he said: "He always did what he wanted to do. And he wanted to do it his way and he wanted to do it the best way.

"His death was no different from his life - a work of Art.

"He made Blackstar for us, his parting gift.

"I knew for a year this was the way it would be. I wasn't, however, prepared for it.

"He was an extraordinary man, full of love and life. He will always be with us

The artist reaction that most interested me. This was funny, but difficult to read:

Brian Eno
David's death came as a complete surprise, as did nearly everything else about him. I feel a huge gap now.
We knew each other for over 40 years, in a friendship that was always tinged by echoes of Pete and Dud. Over the last few years - with him living in New York and me in London - our connection was by email. We signed off with invented names: some of his were mr showbiz, milton keynes, rhoda borrocks and the duke of ear.
About a year ago we started talking about Outside - the last album we worked on together. We both liked that album a lot and felt that it had fallen through the cracks. We talked about revisiting it, taking it somewhere new. I was looking forward to that.
I received an email from him seven days ago. It was as funny as always, and as surreal, looping through word games and allusions and all the usual stuff we did. It ended with this sentence: 'Thank you for our good times, brian. they will never rot'. And it was signed 'Dawn'.
I realise now he was saying goodbye.

What's so incredible about him is that for every super serious thing you can point to that's he done, there's almost always another slightly more absurd thing. He took himself very seriously, no doubt, but not to the extent of being out of touch, or incapable of simply entertaining.

I'm still very sad, in the light of day, but so many inspiring and uplifting messages across the Internet this morning have given me perspective to not be sad about him being gone, but to be happy that I was able to see such a large part of this almost otherworldly career.

It sucks that he is dead. But damn, the outpouring of sympathy and exposure on social media is incredible. For such a visually progressive and visually artistically pushing artist, it seems fitting that he'd be remembered and have his various incarnations shared on the social media platform.

May we all get to plan our exits from this earth so well.

When I got up, I turned on KEXP as usual, and was like "Damn, more David Bowie? Come on now." They had just done their International Day of Bowie (or something like that) on Friday. Then I got out of the shower and heard the DJ talking, and ... yeah. :(

The album should be in my hands from Amazon by tomorrow night. Really looking forward to spending time with it.

Yeah, I can't remember an artist's death having such a wide-reaching impact, judging from how many different friends have expressed their reactions on Facebook. Certainly moreso than when Lou Reed died.

It's hard to think of another musician who is legendary but still regarded as cool and vital by the younger generations, as opposed to a has-been who made great music a long time ago. Bob Dylan has made a fair amount of great music post-2000, but I can't imagine many young people still find him relevant. Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger haven't made anything truly brilliant in decades. Patti Smith is well-loved but she's nowhere near as popular as Bowie and frankly doesn't have the career-long body of work to compete.

one of my friends on FB posted her reaction as "What the fuck, you guys? Who let David Bowie die?"

she went on to post something more thoughtful, but I thought that was pretty funny. Have to pause to laugh in betwixt the sad bits.

Which is why I was happy to see this as well, as I'd totally forgotten about it.

definitely going to order the physical copy of Blackstar now, versus just getting it on itunes. Also wondering if there is anything special in the linear notes...

one of my friends on FB posted her reaction as "What the fuck, you guys? Who let David Bowie die?"

she went on to post something more thoughtful, but I thought that was pretty funny. Have to pause to laugh in betwixt the sad bits.

Which is why I was happy to see this as well, as I'd totally forgotten about it.

Nice to see something on a lighter note. Also, this:

definitely going to order the physical copy of Blackstar now, versus just getting it on itunes. Also wondering if there is anything special in the linear notes...

The booklet is pretty nice, for what it's worth. And has the lyrics.

Outside indeed needs revisiting. My favourite Bowie album not from the 70s, along with Heathen (Blackstar is definitely a new contender though). If it was somewhat shorter, it would truly be a classic record. The first and last third of the record are excellent. It just drags in the middle, and has way too many segues.

I was in a record shop yesterday and passed on the vinyl because I'd already bought the hi-res digital.

Just went back during my lunch break and grabbed the vinyl. Really felt like I need to own a physical copy.

Glad that I picked up a vinyl copy of Sue on RSD as well.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom