David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread... - Page 57 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #841
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmmm View Post
Jesus christ! how old are you.

You can't insult someone first, then get upset when someone does the same, and then come back with "how old are you".

Is that you Mr. Trump?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Old 02-17-2016, 04:27 PM   #842
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:23 AM

Old 02-18-2016, 09:24 AM   #843
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Yep. And his influence has been clear from the very start. She had a fucking lighting bolt on her face during a song CALLED LET'S DANCE. I mean ffs.
Yeah, a lightening bolt. FFS, you just made my point: the influence is superficial, it's fashion. It's not in the music. She uses him as signifier of daring originality that she does not possess.

I knew her music before I knew the image and there was nothing to distinguish her songs from the others that got played in department stores in 2008/09. It reminded me of hearing Complicated and thinking it was a new adult contemporary singer but it turned out to be "Avril Lavigne, authentic punky chick!"
Carlos Alomar, Arcade Fire, Brian Eno, Tony Visconti, Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew are no-names? Please. The influence of the work they did without Bowie is 1000x greater than Gaga's. And some people might not know their names but everyone who listens to Bowie knows their music. And that's what's important. But the Grammy's aren't about music, and neither is Gaga. Bowie was though.

Maybe that's why he received one Grammy over his 50 year career.

But really, if the only argument for Gaga paying tribute to Bowie is "she was a fan! she had a lightning bolt!" then there are plenty of other fans who are just as successful as her, and who actually have something to do with him. And if she's such a fan then why did she ignore the last 33 years of his career? It wasn't a career tribute, it was a breeze though some hits meant to glorify her and her Elvis tribute act.

She reached out to Nile Rogers to be the band leader. Why? Because of of long, deep connection to Bowie, or because he's having a moment and she thought it would rub off on her, and get people talking about her?

Look at the list of people who were singed up for the Bowie tributes in NYC. Any of them would have been more suitable. And guess who's the musical director? Tony Visconti. I wonder why people paying tribute to a guy picked the producer of half his records, a nearly career long collaborator and friend of nearly 50 years to be the musical director.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #844
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post

I knew her music before I knew the image and there was nothing to distinguish her songs from the others that got played in department stores in 2008/09. It reminded me of hearing Complicated and thinking it was a new adult contemporary singer but it turned out to be "Avril Lavigne, authentic punky chick!"

This explains SO much.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:05 PM   #845
Blue Crack Supplier

I think Hollow Island makes some valid points, no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:02 PM   #846
Blue Crack Addict

Keep the bath water you can use it on the house plants, toss the baby out, shits all over the place.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:18 PM   #847
The Male

The copy of Blackstar that I reserved on amazon the day after Bowie died finally got here:

Big Star/Black Star

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:26 PM   #848
45:33

Local Time: 03:23 AM
I'm still waiting for mine.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:38 PM   #849
The Male

It's absolutely worth the wait/price. Everything is embossed and sleek on black paper, which darkens the clear vinyl. Full lyric sheet and credits with great new pics from the sessions. The free download is just icing on the cake.

Now.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:28 AM   #850
The Male

Here's an 8 track mini set in tribute to Bowie from the Flaming Lips:

Old 02-20-2016, 11:43 AM   #851
Blue Crack Supplier

Wow, they actually made it into the 80s

This isn't directed at the Lips, but since Bowie's death I've been getting real sick of people who claim to be such huge fans and yet they don't seem to care about anything after the glam years aside from a few singles, and maybe the Berlin trilogy. That's only a 10-year window for a guy who recorded consistently up until 2003. This would be akin to not caring about Dylan albums like Blood on the Tracks, Desire, Infidels, Shot of Love, Oh Mercy, Time Out of Mind, Love and Theft, etc. Or with Neil Young you have Freedom, Ragged Glory, Harvest Moon, Sleeps With Angels, Silver & Gold, etc.

For a guy who has so many mid/late career standouts it's really unfortunate.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:55 PM   #852
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I don't know how highly regarded 'Young Americans' - that odd phase in between the glam years and the Berlin years - is among the Bowie contingent around here, but man 'Somebody Up There Likes Me' is a stunner.

Pretty sure Beck must have had Young Americans playing on repeat when he was doing Midnite Vultures.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:05 PM   #853
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Let's Dance was my introduction to Bowie. I've heard his seventies singles on the radio growing up but that album was my first Bowie record.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:41 PM   #854
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:23 PM
Same here. And to be honest, it's also my favorite Bowie album, with The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust in second place.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:23 AM   #855
45:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Wow, they actually made it into the 80s

This isn't directed at the Lips, but since Bowie's death I've been getting real sick of people who claim to be such huge fans and yet they don't seem to care about anything after the glam years aside from a few singles, and maybe the Berlin trilogy. That's only a 10-year window for a guy who recorded consistently up until 2003. This would be akin to not caring about Dylan albums like Blood on the Tracks, Desire, Infidels, Shot of Love, Oh Mercy, Time Out of Mind, Love and Theft, etc. Or with Neil Young you have Freedom, Ragged Glory, Harvest Moon, Sleeps With Angels, Silver & Gold, etc.

For a guy who has so many mid/late career standouts it's really unfortunate.
It's a shame, although I'd have said I was a big fan five years ago and I hadn't heard anything post-Lodger. There's a real tendency to ignore his later work. Were I more familiar with it I'd pitch an article to someone. Maybe I will, some day.