David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread... - Page 54 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2016, 10:26 AM   #796
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:35 PM
Obviously it was better, they played full songs over the course of 40 minutes. The Grammys were never going to allow something like that.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:35 AM   #797
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Also, to be fair, Lady Gaga does not make "bland, generic corporate pop".

Old 02-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #798
Refugee

Local Time: 12:35 PM
But they could have had someone competent play one song instead of snippets from some hits performed by a guy who recorded around 20 songs with Bowie and a Madonna impersonator masquerading as an Elvis impersonator. It was tacky and exceedingly superficial; flashy or the sake of being flashy. It was everything Bowie wasn't.

Why wasn't Earl Slick there, or Belew, or Fripp?
Why wasn't Carlos Alomar there? Or Visconti?
Why wasn't Gail Ann Dorsey playing bass, or George Murray, or Visconti himself?
Mike Garson?
Dennis Davis on drums, or Woody Woodmansey (the last Spider!), or Zachary Alford, or Sterling Campbell? People who played with him for a long time, or who were extremely important to his music.

Bowie had a small group of people that he worked with for the majority of his career. They should have been involved with the tribute.

As for singers...who knows? Damon Albarn? He's a fan, and he's clearly been influenced by Bowie. He's his generation's Bowie. Mick Jagger? Iggy Pop? Gary Numan ()? Any of the people Bowie sang with at his 50th birthday maybe?

People who said "Gaga is the new Bowie" have as superficial understanding of Bowie as you can possibly have, which I guess makes her the logical choice for the Grammy's to choose to honour themselves for acknowledging a man who's work they largely ignored. Anyway, she was terrible choice, but the performance was a lot worse than I thought it would be because she can sing, and Nile Rogers is obviously a talented man...but that was terrible.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:47 AM   #799
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
Also, to be fair, Lady Gaga does not make "bland, generic corporate pop".
yes she does. i knew her songs before I knew who she was, and there was nothing to distinguish them from the pop music of 2008/09 aside from better singing. when I found that the maker of those songs was supposed to be a revolutionary artist I was shocked. yet again, image takes precedent over content.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:10 AM   #800
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Ok.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:20 AM   #801
Blue Crack Addict

Old 02-16-2016, 11:40 AM   #802
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Gaga's performance was shit and that's coming from big fan of her and Nile.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:03 PM   #803
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1455645764.787750.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	10584

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 02-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #804
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:35 AM
As I said before, I'm not a Gaga fan. But I wouldn't go so far as to call her generic corporate pop. If anything, she fails as a worthy successor to Bowie, Madonna, etc. because she hasn't written enough memorable songs.

After mulling it over, maybe Prince would have been able to do Bowie justice. He dabbled in many genres, and played with conventional perceptions of masculinity/femininity. But I understand wanting to show how he influenced subsequent generations, so why not get Prince and/or Madonna to perform one song, have Trent Reznor do another, and let Gaga finish it off? You give them all 3 minutes and it still clocks in under 10.

Last night was practically tone deaf in how it failed to be subversive or unique, and emulated a jukebox with Tourette syndrome. Bowie would have hated it. He'd probably prefer Mick Jagger coming out and performing Dancing In The Street with Hologram Bowie, because at least that would be a great troll.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:44 PM   #805
Refugee

Local Time: 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Most of this thread agreed she was a good and obvious choice a few pages ago when we discussed it, so you're pretty much calling all of us here dimwits as well.
Maybe its an american thing then, but I fail to see how gaga is an obvious choice, I'm not that familiar with her career, other than she seems to gain more headlines for exposing her bristols, than any ground breaking music, add to that her voice just wasn't/isn't up to singing any of those chosen, as I said, maybe its an american thing, but I'd have thought Arcade Fire, Trent Reznor, Dave Grohl, Frank Black, or any other artist who've performed with Bowie, or been championed by Bowie in the past would have been better choices, just my opinion!
Old 02-16-2016, 12:46 PM   #806
Refugee

I forgot about Arcade Fire. They are the obvious choice: hugely successful, they worked with Bowie, and he fucking loved them
Old 02-16-2016, 12:57 PM   #807
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

they just could've aired David's concert footage from the past. I'd rather watch that.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:18 PM   #808
Refugee

Just looking around the web, & unbelievably, according to one report I've just read, the so called supergroup being assembled for the brits tribute, includes adele, noel gallagher & fucking coldday, is someone out there trying there hardest to take the almighty piss out of David, what the fuck have any of those artists got to do with Bowie, fuck all, but all have recent albums to sell, & as the brits, like the grammys is basically advertising space for mainstream artists & their money grabbing labels what the fuck does it matter about the career of the greatest rock star ever! bunch of money grabbing publicity seeking C£$TS!!!!!
Old 02-16-2016, 01:35 PM   #809
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
I forgot about Arcade Fire. They are the obvious choice: hugely successful, they worked with Bowie, and he fucking loved them
Them, or The Dandy Warhols, or even Placebo, there are, imo, so many better "obvious" choices than gaga
Old 02-16-2016, 01:43 PM   #810
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:35 AM
LOL at the idea that the Grammys should pick a band known by about 368 people in the US to do the Bowie tribute.

I liked it when I watched it, then on further reflection I didn't like it as much, and then I was over it. The end.