David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread... - Page 52 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2016, 11:40 PM   #766
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:44 PM
Okay, who cried at the Audi commercial that aired during the Super Bowl? "Starman" started and that was it--I was sobbing. Fortunately the friend I was with was someone who loves music as we all do here, and she said she understood because his music reminds us of our childhoods (early teen years in my case).
Thankfully that silly Puppy Monkey Baby ad by Mountain Dew was the next ad, and made me laugh. Good job on placement by whoever decides these things.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:11 AM   #767
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
It's gotta be rough to hear that album for the first time with a ton of baggage attached. All first time listeners from 1/10/16 on will only know it as the incredible album that announced Bowie's death.

For those of us that had heard it beforehand, the first posthumous listen was mindblowing. So many difficult truths were right there in front of our faces, waiting to be confronted. All I could think of after my first listen was how excited I was for Bowie's future. I'll never listen to Blackstar the same way again.

At least some of us had the unique opportunity of hearing the album in that very short gap between it's release and his death. I had listened to it about 3-4 times before he died and I was very confused about the meaning.
As stated, the callback in "I Can't Give Everything Away" is beautiful. It is a bit soon, but it's already one of my all time favorite Bowie tracks. I've only been able to make it through one whole listen to the album since he passed. I just had to give it a break.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Old 02-08-2016, 03:18 PM   #768
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:44 PM
This week's New Yorker Radio Hour podcast has a segment on the jazz musicians that played in Blackstar. Worth checking.

Episode 16: Laura Poitras, David Bowie’s Last Band, and the Poet Brenda Shaughnessy - The New Yorker
Old 02-08-2016, 03:46 PM   #769
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane L View Post
Okay, who cried at the Audi commercial that aired during the Super Bowl?
Definitely not me. I said, "Hey, it's a Bowie song" and went back to playing on my phone.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:06 PM   #770
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:44 PM
I didn't even watch the game plus i don't own a TV, so....i had to look it up on YouTube. I guess they don't even keep those commercial as secret anymore.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:52 PM   #771
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Okay, who cried at the Audi commercial that aired during the Super Bowl? "Starman" started and that was it--I was sobbing. Fortunately the friend I was with was someone who loves music as we all do here, and she said she understood because his music reminds us of our childhoods (early teen years in my case).
Thankfully that silly Puppy Monkey Baby ad by Mountain Dew was the next ad, and made me laugh. Good job on placement by whoever decides these things.
I got emotional, but it was definitely begrudgingly emotional. Damn advertisers, trying to make me feel things.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:28 PM   #772
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
I think my heart skipped a beat for that commercial.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:34 PM   #773
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
I don't think so: his treatment was going well during the recording, and by the time they were finishing it up he was in remission. It was only in November that the cancer was found to be back, and to be terminal. When Blackstar was written and recorded he didn't know he was going to die. He'd made a career writing about death and dying. He was very sick though, and he told Visconti to not be excited by the remission, so he may have thought death was likely, or possible. But the album isn't a deathbed goodbye. Though there are goodbyes there...it's complicated, as it always is with Bowie. I still can't believe he's gone.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using U2 Interference mobile app
I haven't spoken about this very much, but my Father was in great health 2 years ago up until his sudden passing mid-Feb. We had no idea anything was wrong to say the least...however...he did some rather strange and heartfelt things in the weeks and days before he passed. I will keep those to myself, however, i have to believe that he had an "inner voice" telling him to wrap up any loose ends with loved ones, because thats exactly what he did. We only realized it after the fact.

With Bowie, he knew he had a deadly disease, remission or not. Many times people can be in remission but have the cancer come raging back. I am sad that he is gone but i suspect that deep down he knew his time was coming. Visconti is on record saying that he knew what he was doing (with Blackstar) and it happened exactly as he had planned it (given the circumstances, one assumes). Also, strangely enough, i was reading somewhere (RS i think?) that he had told a close confidant that a fortune teller once told him he would live to be around 69-70 years old. Obviously that is not science but it's intriguing all the same.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:21 PM   #774
45:33

Local Time: 06:44 AM
So, a sober, without so much crying, evaluation. It's great. All the songs are, at the very least, really good. Couldn't say that for The Next Day really. It passes quickly but it all feels very necessary and full of substance. It's lean. Girl Loves Me is probably the worst track but it still has its moments. The "I'm a blackstar" electronic moans get a bit much in the title track, but aside from those two things, I can't find something else to criticise. It's very, very, very good and if there's a better album released this year I'll be astonished.

I think I'd rate it something like...

Lazarus - 10
I Can't Give Everything Away - 10
Dollar Days - 10
Sue (Or in a Season of Crime) - 9
'Tis a Pity She Was a Whore - 8
Blackstar - 7.5
Girl Loves Me - 7
Old 02-08-2016, 09:47 PM   #775
Blue Crack Supplier

No offense to James Murphy, but Sue is easily the weakest track for me. The beats sound like something off Earthling, and not as fresh as everything else.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:57 PM   #776
45:33

Local Time: 06:44 AM
Well he only provided percussion, not beats or any production work at all.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:08 PM   #777
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:44 PM
I Can't Give Everything Away - 10
Lazarus - 10
Blackstar - 10
Dollar Days - 9
Tis A Pity - 8
Girl Loves Me - 7
Sue - 7

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 02-08-2016, 10:50 PM   #778
The Male

I like those ratings. Bump up Girl Loves Me to an 8 and we're good.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:16 PM   #779
Blue Crack Supplier

Pretty much where I'm at.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:48 AM   #780
Refugee

Local Time: 08:44 AM
I trashed Bowie for years but after he died i have been listening to a few greatest hits albums and i have to admit, he produced some great songs. Not a fan of the arty/experimental stuff, but his big 60's and 70's hits are memorable.

His death didn't hit me massively as i wasn't a big fan and I didn't grow up with his music, but it is still a sad reminder that we all have to go, and the older we get the more heroes we will lose from our childhoods.

Peace to all Bowie fans