David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know when you read something, and it makes you notice something that you didn't before, and then you can't un-notice it? Yeah...

Someone did that to me and Cody Chesnutt. Played them a song and they said "I like it... It sounds like Lenny Kravitz". Forever ruined it for me. It's the reason Cobbler doesn't have Instagram

What can you say about Bowie that hasnt been said?

Well i think he is awful - so overrated. Up there with the Rolling Stones as the most overrated artist ever

JT - forgive me for not reading the whole thread, but have you been to the David Bowie exhibit at the AGO in Toronto? I went last week, was wondering what other people's impressions were.

I liked that remix ok, but there were definitely spots where it seemed like it just didn't work. Especially the clapping in the middle.

Thought the second half was better than the first until it got to the lazy Ashes to Ashes section.

Oh shit, the first time I read that post, I thought it was just Mad1.

I'm....so...glad...I was wrong?

JT - forgive me for not reading the whole thread, but have you been to the David Bowie exhibit at the AGO in Toronto? I went last week, was wondering what other people's impressions were.

Yep, I went a few weeks back. I really enjoyed it. Pretty amazing to be looking at all the actual costumes he wore 30 or 40 years ago. And I was even more impressed with all the little scraps of paper he kept with scribblings and lyrics and whatnot. I maybe found it a bit difficult to read and listen at the same time, but that was a minor gripe. I preferred it to the Ai Weiwei exhibit (apples and oranges perhaps, though). What did you think?

I thought it was very interesting. My first impression was that there was too much Ziggy Stardust stuff...but then again that was probably his most creative period so it makes sense. I also found it hard to listen and read at the same time and because I was there with a group (private tour), I actually kind of found the experience a bit limiting in the sense that we all walked around mute while we listened to the music/narration and there were several points where I really wish I could have chatted about a few of the exhibits.

It's a neat idea. Also made me feel really ordinary, in the sense that I think I have a very conventional brain and form of expression and this guy just operates on a whole different level.

It's a neat idea. Also made me feel really ordinary, in the sense that I think I have a very conventional brain and form of expression and this guy just operates on a whole different level.

Couldn't agree more. Thanks for making us feel insecure, David! :tsk:

A year today since he announced his comeback. A year.

And still no survivor? Give the peefster a break, it's his birthday.

i don't really know what the peef bowie survivor thing is about, it just seemed like it might go here

I started a David Bowie Survivor and got to the 80s albums (which I haven't listened to) and completely lost interest. Then I stopped being a premium member like four years ago so I no longer have the ability to post polls. And here we are.

I'll ask again - would people be interested in doing a Bowie survivor, back to the start? Now we've got a new album. I'd love to run it. Aside from The Beatles, Radiohead and of course U2 he's pretty much the only artist we all unequivocally love.

I was about to get very grumpy about this:

Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, USA from September 2014 to January 2015

But then I remembered that I'll likely be in Chicago in September :happy:

:hmm:

I feel like David Bowie is ringing some sort of bell in my head...like...there should be something we're doing

:hmm:

:bump:

the exhibition mentioned last year has had more dates added and is coming to berlin this summer, then moving on to other cities: David Bowie exhibition reaches Berlin in May - David Bowie Latest News

anyone planning to attend?

I saw it in Berlin. It's amazing. It's a huge exhibition. I think I spent about 4,5 hours in it. It's a bit of a multimedia overkill but overall very exciting and interesting. I'm especially sentimental about Bowie's Berlin connections, Hansa studios are just around the corner of the place where the exhibition takes place and you can book a Berlin music tour that gives you the chance to visit the places related to Bowie including the "studio by the wall" (there's no more wall there now, of course). I did one of the music tours for the Achtung Baby anniversary back in 2011 and it was quite interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom