David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread... - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2016, 10:35 PM   #526
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:59 AM
I hated that MTV interview as interviewer assumed that Midwest is filled with racists, which isn't really true

Old 01-12-2016, 10:37 PM   #527
The Male

Local Time: 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Nothing from 1980 onward?
Don't give me the eye roll. I mean well. I simply haven't listened to that much of his music post-1980.

I've heard Heathen once, but I'm not overly familiar with the deep cuts. Same with Outside. Never heard Earthling. Reality doesn't have anything on it as good as the tracks I mentioned and neither does The Next Day. Blackstar is too new to include.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:43 PM   #528
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
Bowie's the best. I had no idea there was so much love for him. In the 90s he was a joke

This is way off. Black Tie White Noise didn't make many waves in the U.S., despite collaborating with Let's Dance producer Nile Rodgers again, but it went to #1 in the UK and had a big single with Jump They Say. But he made a very sharp left turn 2 years later with his Brian Eno reunion. Outside wasn't a popular success overall, but the video for Heart's Filthy Lesson made a big splash on MTV, and combined with his shocking new look (the spiked red hair) he became "cool" again among the alternative rock crowd, leading to the tour with Nine Inch Nails. That was a big fucking deal.

He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1996. And as pointed out above by someone else, the I'm Afraid of Americans collaboration with Trent Reznor was another huge alternative hit, even if the album Earthling wasn't a major seller.

So while he did take a nosedive after this period, he was hardly "a joke" in this decade.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:50 PM   #529
The Male

Bowie was cool as fuck from 1995-1998. The Brian Eno/Trent Reznor era was divisive but at least he was trying. David Lynch brought him and Reznor on board for Lost Highway, for God's sake. Of course he was cool.

Now.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:12 PM   #530
Refugee

Local Time: 06:59 AM
(You Will) Set The World On Fire
Cat People
It Ain't Easy
I Took a Trip on a Gemini Spaceship
Up the Hill Backwards
Girl Loves Me
Outside
Fascination
Old 01-12-2016, 11:31 PM   #531
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post

If you want a really deep cut from Station to Station, go with Stay.
Those are both damn good, remember them live, think it was the Thin White Duke tour.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:37 PM   #532
Blue Crack Addict

BLACKSTAR
Bowie's first no. 1 album
Old 01-12-2016, 11:44 PM   #533
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Little Wonder, from the same album that gave us ...Afraid of Americans got some love too. That album is pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 01-13-2016, 12:36 AM   #534
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
This is way off. Black Tie White Noise didn't make many waves in the U.S., despite collaborating with Let's Dance producer Nile Rodgers again, but it went to #1 in the UK and had a big single with Jump They Say. But he made a very sharp left turn 2 years later with his Brian Eno reunion. Outside wasn't a popular success overall, but the video for Heart's Filthy Lesson made a big splash on MTV, and combined with his shocking new look (the spiked red hair) he became "cool" again among the alternative rock crowd, leading to the tour with Nine Inch Nails. That was a big fucking deal.

He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1996. And as pointed out above by someone else, the I'm Afraid of Americans collaboration with Trent Reznor was another huge alternative hit, even if the album Earthling wasn't a major seller.

So while he did take a nosedive after this period, he was hardly "a joke" in this decade.
You're right. Way fucking off. Show me someone at least 20 years old in 1995 (like myself) that would agree with what Hollow said. And hell, I can speak as someone in Middle America at the time - and every 'cool' person I knew worshiped at the altar of Outside. So yeah, if he was relevant here, he was doing okay everywhere.

I'm listening to Small Plot of Land from Outside as I type this. Probably the best piece of improv I've heard in my life. I mean, really, I don't know for certain that it is improv but the way it punches in and the entire feel - and knowing some about the background of the sessions - I have to think it's essentially (mostly) improvised. Or was definitely born from that and 'arrived' very shortly thereafter (with overdubs either way).

Anyway - Bowie touring with Reznor right at the same time was pretty much representative of how highly esteemed he was by people with slightly more sophisticated taste, the people that weren't convinced Hootie had just made the best album of the year or that Bush was a good substitute for Nirvana or that Alanis Morrissette was ever "alternative". Bowie was the shit right then, even in Red State Middle America and thereafter (Earthling wasn't a smash either but I knew tons of people that loved it).

80's? Different story. I was a kid but all I knew was I always liked him. I can honestly say that - even with Modern Love and all that. I remember seeing the weird Ashes to Ashes video as a kid - with androgynous Bowie or whatever we want to call it - and I'm not saying I understood it but I knew even at that age that I loved that voice and the weirdness.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:39 AM   #535
Blue Crack Addict

Letter to Hermione, duh.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:48 AM   #536
45:33

Local Time: 08:59 PM
Aside from Bring Me the Disco King, there is another really, really good song on Reality that gets overlooked: Fall Dog Bombs the Moon.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:07 AM   #537
Blue Crack Addict

Space Moon
Old 01-13-2016, 01:19 AM   #538
The Male

Space Moon: Kicking It Up To Eleven On The Moon In Space

Now.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:00 AM   #539
45:33

Local Time: 08:59 PM
That just made me sad at all the people who've stopped posting here. If Bowie's death can't bring them out of the woodwork...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 01-13-2016, 02:49 AM   #540
Refugee

Local Time: 10:59 AM
Somewhere on here someone suggested Bowie was a joke in the'90s', & early '00's, I suggest whoever that was go and listen to The Buddha Of Suburbia, The Outtakes from the 1.Outside sessions, Hours, imo along with Space Oddity his most under rated album, & correct me if I'm wrong, didn't he release Heathen in the early '00's, some output for a "joke" also the songs he wrote, or co-wrote in that period, for musicians who worked for him, the outstanding, Pretty Pink Rose, Isn't It Evening, Saviour, Planet Of Dreams, just because sales weren't exactly through the roof, doesn't mean there weren't some absolute gems, lets face it Bowie's worst is better than most other artists best, judging by both UK & US charts of the last couple of decades high sales are definitely not a mark of quality.