David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know if the Bowie tribute concerts tonight and tomorrow are televised? Please tell me they are. Please.

What did Wayne do wrong? That was fucking awesome.

The band has played that song completely straight a handful of times since Bowie's death, I don't mind him having fun with it this time.

The Pixies "covering" Cactus deserves derision if anything, but it is kind of funny.

Last edited:
I thought Stipe's version of Ashes to Ashes was pretty poor. His delivery was very flat and didn't really fit with the song.

Randomly listening to the Reality Tour album that's on Spotify. All the best moments are songs from ignored albums. Bring Me the Disco King/Slip Away fucking rules. Laz has said this more often than anyone, and he's right, the fact his post-Let's Dance albums are overlooked is a fucking travesty. There's more good than there is bad.

Bring Me the Disco King is probably in my top five Bowie songs. That is probably a more fitting swansong even than I Can't Give Everything Away, both in the languid instrumentation and the weary, reflective lyrics.

It wouldn't have been a bad swansong, no doubt. Heat, also, would have fit nicely.

Perhaps he made all three with an eye towards his death.

I wish so badly he had made an entire album in the vein of the abstract jazz of Disco King. His voice is perfectly suited to that kind of loose instrumentation.

Randomly listening to the Reality Tour album that's on Spotify. All the best moments are songs from ignored albums. Bring Me the Disco King/Slip Away fucking rules. Laz has said this more often than anyone, and he's right, the fact his post-Let's Dance albums are overlooked is a fucking travesty. There's more good than there is bad.

I checked this out myself within the last 6 weeks. What a great document. Fantastic Voyage, Fall Dog Bombs the Moon, 5:15 the Angels Have Gone, Heathen (The Rays), The Motel, Sister Midnight, Be My Wife.

Some choice deep cuts in there amongst the big singles.

Totally agree! Hours is very bad, but aside from that Buddha of Suburbia - Blackstar is a great run of albums. Then there's Leon, his Outside tour, Earthling and Reality yours, playing all of Heathen and Low at a few shows... Bowie was on a fucking roll from 94-16 and in time it will be seen as legendary.

It's remarkable that in his career he only made four bad albums. Problem is, they were all in a row. (Tonight- Tin Machine 2, and sandwiches by mediocre albums with a few excellent songs each. Bowie's the best!)

I can't handle Tin Machine. I find it really monotonous and bludgeoning. It's certainly better than NLMD though. And there are worse albums for sure. It's passable, but because I know Bowie's there...

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using U2 Interference mobile app

The musicians are all great and form a tight unit, and Bowie's lyrics are more political/social issue-driven than usual. It's not experimental or artsy like most of his best work, but as someone who remembers when it came out, it was a refreshing change of pace. I can understand not caring much for its straightforwardness but when a guy has that many albums it's nice to have something painted from a different palette.

I was watching David's concert in 1990 at Tokyo (it was the "last" concert where he perform massive amount of past songs, Sound&Vision, I think) and it looked like the great concert, though David's dance was often kinda awkward. I watched it because Adrian Belew was playing guitar in that tour (guy who makes whale and elephant noise with his guitar), so I might not be really focusing David there but that's my observation.

"Lazarus" can stand up with Bowie's best songs imo. Outstanding song

The entire album is brilliant. I really like all 7 tracks. There are moments of beauty in all of them. The rhythm section throughout the album is so tight. Then there's the shattering bursts of guitar in Lazarus. His wordless yelping at the end of Tis A Pity. The great use of the word "fuck" in Girl Loves Me. The image of the English evergreens in Dollar Days. That sweet, satisfying little guitar solo at the end of the closing track.

Etc etc etc

As much as I love the new Radiohead and Kendrick projects, this is still my favorite of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom