David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread... - Page 31 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2016, 10:29 PM   #451
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
IMO: Death makes us sad because something that brought joy to our lives is gone. A family member, or a friend is someone who you directly communicate with, so no one really things it's strange to feel sadness at that loss.

When a person is sad over a celebrity dying, people more have a tendency to be of the mind, "Why do you care, it's not like you knew them?" but again, that joy is gone from your life. That thing that made you happy, you realize that you won't get to experience that happiness in the same way ever again.

I feel no shame in being sad when a celebrity who acted, or sang, or did things that made me feel strong emotions is gone. I may not have known the person directly, but through their work, they had an impact on my life. And I think it's OK to be sad, to mourn a celebrities passing. Yes, they're one of many people who die on any given day. I can feel empathy for others deaths, but, ultimately, if I didn't know the person, I can't feel that same level of sadness.

Or something, akin to that, :ramble:
Fair enough and well stated.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:35 PM   #452
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post

And besides - Bowie would have wanted you to watch The Bachelor with your girlfriend.
Nah, Bowie would have wnted him to watch something with at least a shred of artistic value.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:41 PM   #453
A childless dog

Local Time: 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Not to sound like a broken record Paul-basher, but the odds that Macca releases an album as good as Blackstar right before he dies are pretty unlikely. Especially as he's never released anything that good as a solo artist anyway.

Part of the tragedy here with Bowie is that in addition to him dying without anyone knowing he was sick, he was clearly still operating at a very high level of creativity. And so knowing that he probably had more great music ahead of him means we aren't just robbed of the person. McCartney is a musical titan who made the world a better place immeasurably, but we won't be missing much output-wise by comparison.
I will confess, after the brief moment of utter shock, I felt a great deal of anger and disappointment over his death. It's selfish to feel this way, but I had gotten my hopes up that we were entering a time when Bowie would be a consistent creative force that regularly released wonderful albums, the way he used to before I became a fan. I was extremely excited about that prospect.

The fact is that I made it 9 years without a new Bowie album (I was listening when Reality was new) and I will be able to do the same for much longer. But a world without any possibility of new Bowie music is a lesser one indeed. As it stands, he did his absolute best to make his last album very special and memorable. It's going to have to last us.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:42 PM   #454
Blue Crack Distributor

Conan Remembers David Bowie @ TeamCoco.com
Old 01-11-2016, 10:43 PM   #455
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:00 PM
This and the death of James Gandolfini have hit me the hardest of any artists or celebrities. I think it's because they're both two of the most instrumental in the formative period of my life wherein I really began to discover art and its place in my personality and how it eventually shaped my future. Bowie in particular, was so crucial at that stage, it's a distinct possibility without him I wouldn't have connected to art as an idea or fixation in such a way of be driven to spend so much of my life investing in it as an interest and profession. I also might not have joined communities like this one and others like the one where I met my wife and so many other friends and people who further shaped my worldview and tastes. It goes on and on this way, but yeah, all to say it's a funny sensation seeing such enormous outpouring of emotion from such a wide array of people following this, and it brings me close to them in a weird way since my own connection to Bowie is so personal.

Anyway Blackstar is fucking astounding the more I listen to it. Definitely stands strong in the top tier.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:18 PM   #456
Refugee

David Bowie is the first musician I had a strong connection with that has passed. Absolutely devastating news. Spent the day listening to various songs, starting with the Heroes record. He's left us with an incredible musical legacy that is virtually unparalleled and a sense of fearlessness that we should all do our best to carry onwards.

It's tough to listen to Blackstar now, given the weight behind Bowie's words, but it's such an incredible, fitting swan song for an artist that challenged expectations to the very end.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:40 PM   #457
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
This and the death of James Gandolfini have hit me the hardest of any artists or celebrities. I think it's because they're both two of the most instrumental in the formative period of my life wherein I really began to discover art and its place in my personality and how it eventually shaped my future. Bowie in particular, was so crucial at that stage, it's a distinct possibility without him I wouldn't have connected to art as an idea or fixation in such a way of be driven to spend so much of my life investing in it as an interest and profession. I also might not have joined communities like this one and others like the one where I met my wife and so many other friends and people who further shaped my worldview and tastes. It goes on and on this way, but yeah, all to say it's a funny sensation seeing such enormous outpouring of emotion from such a wide array of people following this, and it brings me close to them in a weird way since my own connection to Bowie is so personal.

Anyway Blackstar is fucking astounding the more I listen to it. Definitely stands strong in the top tier.

Did we already know Lance was married?
Old 01-11-2016, 11:41 PM   #458
45:33

Local Time: 03:00 AM
Anyone else finding that his most simple, overplayed songs are the ones sticking with you at the moment? I've had Changes and Starman stuck in my head since last night. They're both good songs of course but I'd come to tire a little of them both. But right now, they're just gripping me.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 01-11-2016, 11:42 PM   #459
Rock n' Roll Doggie

What kind of cancer did he have?
Old 01-11-2016, 11:44 PM   #460
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Anyone else finding that his most simple, overplayed songs are the ones sticking with you at the moment? I've had Changes and Starman stuck in my head since last night. They're both good songs of course but I'd come to tire a little of them both. But right now, they're just gripping me.

No, I'm thinking about complex stuff like Bring Me The Disco King and A Small Plot of Land.

You're an amateur.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:46 PM   #461
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Did we already know Lance was married?
I didn't, but I knew he had a long time lady friend, so, this isn't the biggest shock.

#juststalkinglancethings
Old 01-11-2016, 11:50 PM   #462
Blue Crack Supplier

I really hope the online community he met her through wasn't At Ease.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:52 PM   #463
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:00 PM
I've had "Five Years" stuck in my head all day. It's hard for me to listen to anything other than Bowie today.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 01-12-2016, 12:01 AM   #464
A childless dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
What kind of cancer did he have?

I read that it was liver cancer.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:08 AM   #465
Blue Crack Addict