David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread... - Page 30 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2016, 09:57 PM   #436
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:05 AM
now I'm discovering all of those of David Bowie at Kyoto online and that feels weird as I am sort of familiar with some parts of Kyoto yet I think presence of David in all of those photo makes them appear pretty exotic.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:58 PM   #437
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:05 AM
Holy crap. I just found out about this, and I am utterly depressed... Ugghhhh I just don't know what to say. This is the first time in a long while that a celebrity death has left me without speech. I'm just at a total loss as to what to say/ write/ type/ think/ feel--it's so incredibly strange to feel so sad about someone I've never met, but this shit is hitting me hard... ugh.

Sent from my SM-G920T using U2 Interference mobile app

Old 01-11-2016, 09:58 PM   #438
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I've also seen this picture from that shoot floating around:

So completely awesome.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:58 PM   #439
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I found out about half an hour before my girlfriend came over last night. It was bad timing... we hadn't seen each other in a week and a half, and were really excited, but the news just knocked me flat and I just wanted to sit on Twitter and listen to his music for the rest of the night. Ended up sort of ignoring it and watching The Bachelor with her.
'Tis A Pity She Wa--

Never mind.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:58 PM   #440
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I'll never forget the night I was watching the TV Land awards, of all things, and they were doing a retrospective on John Ritter, and all of a sudden I just started bawling my eyes out. And it was so wtf because I mean..I liked Three's Company, sure, but...I had no special affinity for him or anything.
I'm a frickin' sap for remembrance montages, whether I was a big fan or not. So I feel you.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:59 PM   #441
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:05 AM
Well i definitely thought David Bowie would live forever.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:59 PM   #442
A childless dog

I cried like a little girl when I heard the news, but crying doesn't make anyone more or less of a fan. We all grieve in our own way. Now that I'm feeling better I'm sitting down to play some Bowie favorites on guitar.

I'm still astounded by the outpouring the grief today. I knew the guy was beloved, but he really was the godfather to not only music nerds, but all nerds and outsiders. He was iconic that way.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:02 PM   #443
ONE
love, blood, life

This is the first time I've ever felt particularly emotional about a celebrity's death. To be honest, that sort of emotion had been difficult for me to relate to before now. I guess I had an attitude of "so many people die every day; why does a celebrity deserve special emotional consideration because she is famous?" But I guess there's a big difference when that celebrity's work has really played an emotional role in your life, as is the case for me with Bowie. When Bono dies, it will definitely be difficult.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:02 PM   #444
Blue Crack Distributor

Here's a thing I had no idea existed: David Bowie and Klaus Nomi. On SNL.

David Bowie and Klaus Nomi’s Hypnotic Performance on SNL (1979) | Open Culture
Old 01-11-2016, 10:03 PM   #445
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I'm still astounded by the outpouring the grief today. I knew the guy was beloved, but he really was the godfather to not only music nerds, but all nerds and outsiders. He was iconic that way.
For me he is one of the very few artists whom I felt like I knew personally through the music. I know it's absurd to think that way, but it's also the mark of great art to make you feel such a thing.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:06 PM   #446
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Paul McCartney is very old and I fear for my reaction when he goes.
Not to sound like a broken record Paul-basher, but the odds that Macca releases an album as good as Blackstar right before he dies are pretty unlikely. Especially as he's never released anything that good as a solo artist anyway.

Part of the tragedy here with Bowie is that in addition to him dying without anyone knowing he was sick, he was clearly still operating at a very high level of creativity. And so knowing that he probably had more great music ahead of him means we aren't just robbed of the person. McCartney is a musical titan who made the world a better place immeasurably, but we won't be missing much output-wise by comparison.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:08 PM   #447
Blue Crack Distributor

Oh, okay. I won't be devastated when he dies, then.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:09 PM   #448
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
This is the first time I've ever felt particularly emotional about a celebrity's death. To be honest, that sort of emotion had been difficult for me to relate to before now. I guess I had an attitude of "so many people die every day; why does a celebrity deserve special emotional consideration because she is famous?" But I guess there's a big difference when that celebrity's work has really played an emotional role in your life, as is the case for me with Bowie. When Bono dies, it will definitely be difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 01-11-2016, 10:21 PM   #449
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
IMO: Death makes us sad because something that brought joy to our lives is gone. A family member, or a friend is someone who you directly communicate with, so no one really things it's strange to feel sadness at that loss.

When a person is sad over a celebrity dying, people more have a tendency to be of the mind, "Why do you care, it's not like you knew them?" but again, that joy is gone from your life. That thing that made you happy, you realize that you won't get to experience that happiness in the same way ever again.

I feel no shame in being sad when a celebrity who acted, or sang, or did things that made me feel strong emotions is gone. I may not have known the person directly, but through their work, they had an impact on my life. And I think it's OK to be sad, to mourn a celebrities passing. Yes, they're one of many people who die on any given day. I can feel empathy for others deaths, but, ultimately, if I didn't know the person, I can't feel that same level of sadness.

Or something, akin to that, :ramble:
Old 01-11-2016, 10:24 PM   #450
Blue Crack Distributor

I found video of that singalong! Damn, I would have loved to be there (even though I don't know all the words to most of those songs).

David Bowie fans pay tribute with mass sing-along in Brixton – video | Music | The Guardian

(Just watch the beginning, for Starman. Apparently everyone knows that one. The others are just a few people singing stuff.)