David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
david-bowie2.jpg
What a career.

Last edited:
Only two months ago I was attending the last day of the David Bowie Is exhibition before it moved to another city. It was great to see such a diverse crowd appreciating such a groundbreaking figure.

I found out about half an hour before my girlfriend came over last night. It was bad timing... we hadn't seen each other in a week and a half, and were really excited, but the news just knocked me flat and I just wanted to sit on Twitter and listen to his music for the rest of the night. Ended up sort of ignoring it and watching The Bachelor with her. I feel guilt for not having let it sink in, I haven't cried, and that is making me feel awful, but yeah. I just don't know how to feel. In a bit of shock, I think. I had a physical reaction last night.

I feel guilt for not having let it sink in

Okay, this is crazy talk. Music is important, our heroes make us happy or sad, but you have to take moments, even insignificant ones, with your loved ones where you can. You have loads of time to grieve in whatever way you see fit.

And besides - Bowie would have wanted you to watch The Bachelor with your girlfriend.

I haven't cried, and that is making me feel awful, but yeah.

I echo Cori, but I will say this: When Clarence Clemons died, I felt the same way you feel now. I didn't cry and I felt weird about that.

I think it was about a week later that I out of the blue started crying about it, and didn't stop for like 10 minutes.

Sometimes things just don't sink in right away. But don't be made at yourself about it.

Here, read this and smile:

F4AOIwp8RKrDUca1Ok2K_proust.jpg

David Bowie Answers the Proust Questionnaire | Vanity Fair

Just saw a great clip of gathered fans singing Starman on TV.

Just read this, which I love:

Jodrell Bank have confirmed ground control will continue to call for him into the silent, eternal void, hoping for a signal.

(Jodrell Bank is an observatory in England, and I only know that because Elbow recorded a concert DVD there.)

Okay, this is crazy talk. Music is important, our heroes make us happy or sad, but you have to take moments, even insignificant ones, with your loved ones where you can. You have loads of time to grieve in whatever way you see fit.

And besides - Bowie would have wanted you to watch The Bachelor with your girlfriend.

I was never a huge fan, but respected Bowie immensely as artist. His death and the outpouring of love and appreciation for him has hit me harder than I anticipated, and it has me thinking about how I'll react when Bono goes. Truthfully, as much as I like to think I'll be OK when he passes, I can't say for certain how I will feel. I suspect it will be something akin to what Cobblestones expressed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

I'm kind of weird in that I don't usually shed tears for a beloved celebrity passing until I see a retrospective on the TV, like on the news. Mr. Bowie has been the same.

I *still* get teary-eyed thinking of the nightly news signing off with the final "I'm dancin' ... and singin' in the rain" from the movie when Gene Kelly died.

...... excuse me, I have something in my eye.

Thanks, guys :)

Got the night to myself tonight so might get some wine, read and listen.

And yeah, I had that exact same thought about Bono. Heh, we have probably all thought about that numerous times. I was thinking that Bono will probably be the only celebrity whose death hits me harder than Bowie's.

I am now wondering what it must have been like when Lennon died.

Paul McCartney is very old and I fear for my reaction when he goes.

I'd say he's immortal, but THAT'S WHAT WE SAID ABOUT BOWIE. :(

We will not discuss Bono dying. Thank you.

I'm kind of weird in that I don't usually shed tears for a beloved celebrity passing until I see a retrospective on the TV, like on the news.

I'll never forget the night I was watching the TV Land awards, of all things, and they were doing a retrospective on John Ritter, and all of a sudden I just started bawling my eyes out. And it was so wtf because I mean..I liked Three's Company, sure, but...I had no special affinity for him or anything.

now I'm discovering all of those of David Bowie at Kyoto online and that feels weird as I am sort of familiar with some parts of Kyoto yet I think presence of David in all of those photo makes them appear pretty exotic.

Holy crap. I just found out about this, and I am utterly depressed... Ugghhhh I just don't know what to say. This is the first time in a long while that a celebrity death has left me without speech. I'm just at a total loss as to what to say/ write/ type/ think/ feel--it's so incredibly strange to feel so sad about someone I've never met, but this shit is hitting me hard... ugh.

Sent from my SM-G920T using U2 Interference mobile app

I found out about half an hour before my girlfriend came over last night. It was bad timing... we hadn't seen each other in a week and a half, and were really excited, but the news just knocked me flat and I just wanted to sit on Twitter and listen to his music for the rest of the night. Ended up sort of ignoring it and watching The Bachelor with her.

'Tis A Pity She Wa--

Never mind.

I'll never forget the night I was watching the TV Land awards, of all things, and they were doing a retrospective on John Ritter, and all of a sudden I just started bawling my eyes out. And it was so wtf because I mean..I liked Three's Company, sure, but...I had no special affinity for him or anything.

I'm a frickin' sap for remembrance montages, whether I was a big fan or not. So I feel you.

I cried like a little girl when I heard the news, but crying doesn't make anyone more or less of a fan. We all grieve in our own way. Now that I'm feeling better I'm sitting down to play some Bowie favorites on guitar.

I'm still astounded by the outpouring the grief today. I knew the guy was beloved, but he really was the godfather to not only music nerds, but all nerds and outsiders. He was iconic that way.

This is the first time I've ever felt particularly emotional about a celebrity's death. To be honest, that sort of emotion had been difficult for me to relate to before now. I guess I had an attitude of "so many people die every day; why does a celebrity deserve special emotional consideration because she is famous?" But I guess there's a big difference when that celebrity's work has really played an emotional role in your life, as is the case for me with Bowie. When Bono dies, it will definitely be difficult.

I'm still astounded by the outpouring the grief today. I knew the guy was beloved, but he really was the godfather to not only music nerds, but all nerds and outsiders. He was iconic that way.

For me he is one of the very few artists whom I felt like I knew personally through the music. I know it's absurd to think that way, but it's also the mark of great art to make you feel such a thing.

Paul McCartney is very old and I fear for my reaction when he goes.

Not to sound like a broken record Paul-basher, but the odds that Macca releases an album as good as Blackstar right before he dies are pretty unlikely. Especially as he's never released anything that good as a solo artist anyway.

Part of the tragedy here with Bowie is that in addition to him dying without anyone knowing he was sick, he was clearly still operating at a very high level of creativity. And so knowing that he probably had more great music ahead of him means we aren't just robbed of the person. McCartney is a musical titan who made the world a better place immeasurably, but we won't be missing much output-wise by comparison.

This is the first time I've ever felt particularly emotional about a celebrity's death. To be honest, that sort of emotion had been difficult for me to relate to before now. I guess I had an attitude of "so many people die every day; why does a celebrity deserve special emotional consideration because she is famous?" But I guess there's a big difference when that celebrity's work has really played an emotional role in your life, as is the case for me with Bowie. When Bono dies, it will definitely be difficult.

:up:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

IMO: Death makes us sad because something that brought joy to our lives is gone. A family member, or a friend is someone who you directly communicate with, so no one really things it's strange to feel sadness at that loss.

When a person is sad over a celebrity dying, people more have a tendency to be of the mind, "Why do you care, it's not like you knew them?" but again, that joy is gone from your life. That thing that made you happy, you realize that you won't get to experience that happiness in the same way ever again.

I feel no shame in being sad when a celebrity who acted, or sang, or did things that made me feel strong emotions is gone. I may not have known the person directly, but through their work, they had an impact on my life. And I think it's OK to be sad, to mourn a celebrities passing. Yes, they're one of many people who die on any given day. I can feel empathy for others deaths, but, ultimately, if I didn't know the person, I can't feel that same level of sadness.

Or something, akin to that, :ramble:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom