David Bowie survivor proposal/preliminary discussion...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Alright cats. I’m a big Bowie fan. We all are. He was President of Space Moon the Moon in Space for Bowie’s sake. Peef’s Bowie survivor died a quiet death many moonage daydreams ago, so I’m proposing to start a new one. We do have a new album, new fans, renewed interest after all.

If there’s interest, here’s what I’d propose:
- polls of all his albums. you vote for say your five or six favourites. the album with the most votes receives the most number of songs going through.
- poll featuring a shitload of his b-sides, rarities, extras, etc, with say five tracks going through.
- if i could fit all the songs in one poll, maybe 30 or something, I could do that
- or we could have playoffs grouped by eras (David Bowie - Diamond Dogs, Young Americans - Lodger or Scary monsters (yet to hear that so not sure which period it falls in), Let’s Dance - Never Let Me Down, his 90s albums, and then Heathen-Next dDy). something along those lines, obviously up for interpretation. then a final.

What do people think? I reckon it would be great, and I certainly couldn’t pick a winner.

Me too. I'll have to catch up with some of his stuff I'm not familiar with, which is a perfect reason to play.

Cool. So this is what I propose.

Album polls for the following albums
Space Oddity
Man Who Sold the World
Hunky Dory
Ziggy Stardust
Aladdin Sane
Diamond Dogs
Young Americans
Station to Station
Low
“Heroes”
Lodger
Scary Monsters
Let’s Dance
Tonight
Never Let Me Down
Black Tie White Noise
Outside
Earthling
‘Hours...’
Heathen
Reality
The Next Day

A round for extraneous tracks (I’ll need help coming up with a list for this one, I’ll post a provisional one that people can add to)
- Any songs from the self-titled debut, Pin-Ups or Tin Machine people feel should be in with a shot. Cut these albums plus soundtracks because the dude has a lot of music, and I don’t think anything from any of them will progress far
- Non-album singles such as John I’m Only Dancing
- Songs from soundtracks people feel should be in with a shot
- B-sides, rarities, etc
- No remixes (sadly taking James Murphy’s Love is Lost remix out of the picture)

First poll would be the above 21 albums, not including the self-titled debut, Pin-Ups, soundtracks or Tin Machine.

Top five albums – four tracks each
6-10 – three tracks each
11-15 – two tracks each
16-21 – one track each

Which would give us 50 tracks through to playoffs.

Playoffs would be split into eras. I propose the following, but note The Next Day is the only post-Lodger album I’ve heard, and I haven’t heard Young Americans either, so more than happy to change this.

Space Oddity – Diamond Dogs
Young Americans – Lodger
Scary Monsters – Never Let Me Down
Black Tie White Noise – The Next Day (not going to be many tracks from the 90s and 00s going through I would expect)
Extraneous

We have playoffs for all these rounds, in traditional survivor format, voting your least favourite track until we get left with say the top four from each era, meaning the final would contain 20 songs. The only thing I don’t like about this is that the 10th-ranked song in the first two eras is probably going to be better than the top-ranked song from the second two… so we could weight the first two eras more heavily, so say the top six from the first two, then top three from the next three, giving us a 21-song final.

What do people think?

Y U NO LlKE TlN MACHlNE??

He wrote everything on the albums, and yes, some songs are co-written, but you can say that about the Eno collaborations.

I'd always thought Tin Machine was considered embarrassing. More than happy to include it if people want.

They used to play Under the God all the time at gym. Of all the Bowie songs...

Haha, as you can tell from Facebook (unless you blocked me, which is understandable) I've kind of embraced embarrassment.

Also: the playoffs can be one round each too, voting for your favourites, leaving the final as the only one we whittle down by voting off least favourite. Hopefully by then I can tag Schloopy in each poll, he likes that system.

Alright so unless there are any objections, I'll put up the first album poll a little bit later today. I'll leave them open for 48 hours.

The list:

Space Oddity
Man Who Sold the World
Hunky Dory
Ziggy Stardust
Aladdin Sane
Diamond Dogs
Young Americans
Station to Station
Low
“Heroes”
Lodger
Scary Monsters
Let’s Dance
Tonight
Never Let Me Down
Tin Machine I
Tin Machine II
Black Tie White Noise
Outside
Earthling
‘Hours...’
Heathen
Reality
The Next Day
Extraneous

I actually listened to it the last time we did this, for the sake of the poll. Really enjoyed it.

Back
Top Bottom