David Bowie survivor - PLAYOFFS!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote for your FIVE favourite songs.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cobl04

45:33
Well it only took me I don't know how long but we are here, the playoffs, which officially means I am better than Peef. Rejoice! :loveshower:

In this round, we will be voting on songs from the five albums that received the most votes.

LOW.
THE RISE AND FALL OF ZIGGY STARDUST AND THE SPIDERS FROM MARS.
ALADDIN SANE.
"HEROES".
STATION TO STATION.

There are 23 songs in total. Vote for your FIVE favourites; and the TEN songs with the most votes will go through to the final.

I'm sure you will all find something to criticise :p but this seems like an okay method. If it becomes clear it doesn't work, we'll figure something out.

Christ, this is hard. I went with Moonage Daydream, Lady Stardust, Lady Grinning Soul, Station to Station, and Always Crashing in the Same Car.

I'm more pissed off that Changes and Oh! You Pretty Things made it through over tracks like Queen Bitch or Quicksand.

I'm gonna listen to all these before I vote (and if a mod sees this can you change the poll so it's open for 4 days) but I suspect I'll roll with New Career, Five Years, Station to Station, Heroes and Watch That Man.

Went with Suffragette City, Ziggy Stardust, Golden Years, Subterraneans and "Heroes"...three of my five favorite Bowie songs accounted for, there.

I went with a few that I thought would need my help: Lady Grinning Soul, Aladdin Sane, Stay...

And a couple that should make it through comfortably: Moonage Daydream, Heroes.

Subterraneans, "Heroes", Station to Station, Five Years

Yeah, those four would be on my Mount Rushmore anyway.

edit: Ah, there should be five. You can put another vote for A New Career in a New Town in there, if it's possible.

Subterraneans won't be in my top five, but huge respect to anyone who votes for it. Great song.

Khan, not my fault. I figured it would be a shoo-in and I didn't vote for two of his most overplayed hits.

i'm just giving you a hard time!

this was the hardest poll ever. i wish i could've voted for seven songs, because looking at everything there's a couple songs i hated not being able to vote for. buuuut hopefully they'll get through anyway.

I'm glad you asked:

"Fame '90"

A remixed version of "Fame" was released by EMI in 1990 to coincide with the Sound+Vision Tour and the release of the Changesbowie compilation. Bowie wanted to remix a successful American single for the tour & album release, and of the two options ("Let's Dance" and "Fame"), "Let's Dance" was simply too recent. Bowie liked the choice: "It covers a lot of ground, Fame; it stands up really well in time. It still sounds potent. It's quite a nasty, angry little song. I quite like that."[2]
The "Gass Mix" was also included on the Pretty Woman soundtrack.
Track listing

Song written by David Bowie, Carlos Alomar, and John Lennon.
US CD single (Rykodisc RCD5 1018)

1. "Fame '90 (with Queen Latifah)" – 4:10
  2. "Fame '90 (House Mix)" – 5:58
  3. "Fame '90 (Gass Mix)" – 3:38
  4. "Fame '90 (Hip Hop Mix)" – 5:58
  5. "Fame '90 (Absolutely Nothing Premeditated/Epic Mix)" – 14:25
West Germany maxi CD single (EMI CDP 560-20-3805-2)

1. "Fame '90 (House Mix)" - 5:58
  2. "Fame '90 (Hip Hop Mix)" - 5:58
  3. "Fame '90 (Gass Mix)" - 3:38
  4. "Fame '90 (Queen Latifah's Rap Version)" - 3:10
"Exclusive Changes pack" 7" vinyl single (FAMES 90)

1. "Fame '90 (Gass Mix)" – 3:38
  2. "Fame '90 (Queen Latifah's Rap Version)" - 3:10
Limited edition 7" vinyl picture disc (FAME PD 90)

1. "Fame '90 (Gass Mix)" – 3:38
  2. "Fame '90 (Bonus Beat Mix)" – 4:45

• The single was released in a variety of formats: as a 7" single, a cassette single, a 12" single, CD singles and two limited edition releases: a picture disc (featuring the unique "Bonus Beat mix") and a 7" envelope pack that included 3 prints reflecting different phases in Bowie's career and a unique mix of Queen Latifah's mix[12]
Video

Film director Gus Van Sant directed the promotional video for this version, which featured clips from many of Bowie’s previous videos.[12] In the music video, Bowie also performs a dance with Louise Lecavalier, one of the main dancers of the Québécois contemporary dance troupe La La La Human Steps (whom Bowie would collaborate with on the Sound + Vision tour).[13]
David Bowie's "Fame" was used as the soundtrack of an animated music video of the same title, directed by Richard Jefferies (screenwriter) and Mark Kirkland while students at California Institute of the Arts. The film, released in 1975, went on to win the Student Academy Award for animation and aired on NBC's The Midnight Special (TV series).
Other releases

• "Fame '90" also appeared on:
    • Changesbowie (1990)
    • Best of Bowie (2002) (Germany/Switzerland/Austria and Australia versions; Colombia/Ecuador/Peru/Venezuela contains both versions)
Chart positions

Chart Peak position Belgium Singles Chart 22[14] Holland Singles Chart 16[14] New Zealand Singles Chart 32[14] Switzerland Singles Chart 29[14] UK Singles Chart 28[15]

Fame '90 (James Murphy Rework) as a late addition to the finals! It runs 28:42 in length.

Can someone tell me what the chord is in Ziggy Stardust at about 2:55? It's been used in another song I really like but I can't quite put my finger on it at the moment and it's annoying the hell out of me.

Back
Top Bottom