David Bowie.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UberBeaver

Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
So I just picked up Space Oddity after many years of meaning to find out what Bowie was all about. I knew about his singles growing up, but never heard any of his albums. I now understand why he's so respected. This album, not even considered his finest, is brilliant. I listened to the album while food shopping and it was almost like being stoned with smoking weed. "Memory of a Free Festival" is ridiculously good.

What else should I know by Bowie?

We played Our songs and felt the London sky
Resting on our hands
It was God's land
It was ragged and naive
It was Heaven

You cannot go wrong with either albums.

Hunky Dory is a sweet collection of songs, and Aladdin Sane is something else entirely.

LemonMacPhisto said:
You cannot go wrong with either albums.

Hunky Dory is a sweet collection of songs, and Aladdin Sane is something else entirely.

Yep.

Hunky Dory
Ziggy Stardust
Alladin Sane

:drool:

Scary Monsters is always criminally underrated when it comes to Bowie albums. My number 2 behind Low. Heroes is also a great collection of tracks, but just not quite up to par with Low.

I'd also recommend Hunky Dory... That's probably my favorite Bowie album, closely beating out Ziggy Stardust.

Glad you like Space Oddity :drool: Great album, and the song is one of my absolute favorites of all time. Makes a cool username, too. ;)

Lancemc said:
One for my friend.

Low.

This album will change your life.

what he said. Low's one of the greatest records ever made, quite simply. Follow that with Scary Monsters and you can't go wrong. I just wish you'd started with Hunky Dory :wink:

Station to Station and Outside are also excellent.

The song Station to Station itself is one of my all time favourites.....

'It's not the side effects of the cocaine, i'm thinking that it must be love':drool:

After Scary Monsters up to Outside the albums aren't that great except for the odd good single. After Outside the albums are alright and I really think he is back to good form with his last two albums Heathen and Reality.

Hunky Dory - An amazing honest and sweet collection of songs. Bowie at his most human and accessible. There are a lot of acoustic songs that blossom into sonic landscapes.

Ziggy Stardust - the ultimate, ultimate Bowie album. Pomp, sexually ambiguous aliens, hard rockers, more melodrama than 10 Queen ballads fit into one closing number - get this and love it.

Alladin Sane - Hard fucking rocking awesomeness. My favorite heavy guitar rock album of all time that also features a lot of great piano work. The send-up of Let's Spend the Night Together is sexually charged greatness, and Lady Grinning Soul is possibly the most beautiful thing ever recorded.

Station to Station - Wonderfully compact little album featuring great refined guitar licks and great songwriting. Word on a Wing is a throwback to Hunky Dory days.

Can't forget Aladdin's Sane glam rock classic:

"Panic in Detroit" :drool:

And "Cracked Actor".....the drums and guitar during the chorus are just :drool: :drool:

Bowie :drool: :drool:

Station To Station (my favorite! :heart: )
Ziggy Stardust
Low
Aladdin Sane
Hunky Dory

Are the ones you need. :)

Only David Bowie can sing with muppets and no one would question him.

I just started to listen to David Bowie's music and wow, he's amazing.

I got The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars and it's awesome. Can't stop listening to it. I'd love to get Low, too.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Only David Bowie can sing with muppets and no one would question him.

My favourite film of all time:cool:

'What power? Power of the babe'

:drool:

Originally posted by SpaceOddity

Glad you like Space Oddity :drool: Great album, and the song is one of my absolute favorites of all time. Makes a cool username, too. ;)

This is almost as mind blowing as discovering that Capn Crunch cereal is really little treasure boxes. Matrix = Glitched.

I'm planning on going in order for the rest of the albums. I like Space Oddity so much I figure I'll dig the other stuff after it. And there's only one album before it chronologically.

LJT said:
Station to Station and Outside are also excellent.

Definitely. Make sure to check out these two.

You really can't go wrong with most of these recommendations, though. Bowie's made some breathtaking albums in his career - some of my all-time favorites, easily.

Screwtape2 said:
Heathen isn't too bad either. Not as good as the albums already mentioned but still a great album.

Slow Burn is one of his all time great tunes.

Pete Townsend playing that guitar :drool:

MrBrau1 said:

Slow Burn is one of his all time great tunes.

Pete Townsend playing that guitar :drool:

Slip Away is also one of my favorite Bowie tunes.

Is his work with Tin Machine worth checking out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom