David Bowie. - Page 63 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #931
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:11 AM
I figured I'd pick it up on RSD, might luck out and it won't be as stupidly expensive as it is right now. When did vinyl price jump up so high?

Old 03-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #932
Blue Crack Supplier

Pitchfork's verdict: 7.6

Higher than their rating for Reality (7.3) but below the one for Heathen (7.8). Even though I've only listened to The Next Day once, I feel slightly vindicated. They're not drinking the "Greatest Comeback Of All Timezzzz!!!" kool-aid.

Anyway, one of Ryan Dombal's better write-ups. His complaints seem to be mostly about Visconti's production, nothing negative about the songwriting.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #933
War Child

Local Time: 01:11 PM
The guitar riff at the beginning of you set the world on fire is a lot like Jack White's guitar riff at the beginning of Sixteen Saltines. And that sounds like an almost exact copy of that guitar riff at the intro of Beverly Hills 90210 90's song theme. Just sayin.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #934
Refugee

Anyone hear the 3 Bonus tracks on the Deluxe Edition? Wondering if they're worth it.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #935
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLanePHINS View Post
Anyone hear the 3 Bonus tracks on the Deluxe Edition? Wondering if they're worth it.
One of them is that instrumental music on the Stars are out video. I like two of them very much.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #936
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I feel slightly vindicated.
You should never have to feel vindicated by a music review ever. Get it together, man
Old 03-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #937
Blue Crack Supplier

I didn't "have" to be vindicated. But I was questioning the hyperbole of the "greatest comeback EVAR!!" reviews that initially appeared, and the more recent things I've read (not just P-Fork's) have been positive but more tempered.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #938
ONE
love, blood, life

GET IT TOGETHER!

clf
Old 03-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #939
Blue Crack Supplier

Now wondering if I should have bought the deluxe edition. Someone online was saying the bonus tracks are great. Oh well, I'll just get the mp3s.

Hard to write up after just 2 listens, especially when there's 14 songs. El Mel is right that this could stand to lose a couple tracks. For me I think I'd drop Boss Of Me and I'd Rather Be High (which I may be confusing with something else).

Am I the only one getting a (London) Suede vibe from Valentine's Day? The music and Bowie's vocal?

Also, I have to say, while not a bad song, I find Heat to be extremely anticlimactic, especially considering how amazing Heathen (The Rays) and Bring Me The Disco King were as closers.

Hard for me to pick favorites. It's very consistent, probably moreso than Reality. But I stand by my original feelings that this doesn't scale heights of Heathen. I'd probably take Slow Burn, Slip Away, and the aforementioned title track over anything on The Next Day, for starters.

I'm guessing that the reason people like El Mel are ranking it a little higher is mainly because this album has a bit more energy, looser and less polished. That's fine. But for me it's derivative of earlier sounds, and while I realize it's hard for a major innovator like Bowie to go anywhere new at this point (much like where U2 is right now), I find Heathen a more unique listen, even right from the starting track. And I also feel that his vocal prowess is more on display with that album, more instances where he really belts it out. He's more restrained here, even when the music is more rocking.

Regardless, they're both better than Scary Monsters, which I listened to again on Monday and still can't figure out where people are seeing all this brilliance. Teenage Wildlife is a very enjoyable attempt at Heroes part 2, Up The Hill Backwards is good. But Fashion is still awful and Ashes To Ashes, while a good single, isn't exactly Rebel Rebel or The Jean Genie.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #940
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:11 PM
David Bowie's wife sparks tour hopes - MSN Music News

The wife comments on the tour possibilities.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #941
Blue Crack Addict

I saw him live, probably a dozen times in the 70s and 80s, this new album is best thing he has done in decades. If he does go live, I hope the venue in not too big. I have some great photographs from those live shows, taken by a professional photographer. They are about 16 X 20 inch mounted. They are in my attic in boxes, I should get them out. Can't find anything on line that in near as cool as they are.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #942
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I saw him live, probably a dozen times in the 70s and 80s, this new album is best thing he has done in decades. If he does go live, I hope the venue in not too big. I have some great photographs from those live shows, taken by a professional photographer. They are about 16 X 20 inch mounted. They are in my attic in boxes, I should get them out. Can't find anything on line that in near as cool as they are.
In the 70's?

Wow
Old 03-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #943
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post

I'm guessing that the reason people like El Mel are ranking it a little higher is mainly because this album has a bit more energy, looser and less polished.
That is exactly why. The music and production feel fresh and vital to me, though I will agree that it is a step down vocally from Heathen. Stars Are Out Tonight, while a great song in many ways, feels a little lost from a vocal perspective.

Now.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #944
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenG180 View Post
In the 70's?

Wow
yes, I am in my 50s, hate to admit that, but I am not getting any younger. I started going to live shows when I was in my teens. I used to go to several a week.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #945
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Stars Are Out Tonight, while a great song in many ways, feels a little lost from a vocal perspective.
Yeah. I'm wondering how even the Bowie from the Earthling or Outside era would have delivered that one.

Tags
david bowie