David Bowie.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured I'd pick it up on RSD, might luck out and it won't be as stupidly expensive as it is right now. When did vinyl price jump up so high?

Pitchfork's verdict: 7.6

Higher than their rating for Reality (7.3) but below the one for Heathen (7.8). Even though I've only listened to The Next Day once, I feel slightly vindicated. They're not drinking the "Greatest Comeback Of All Timezzzz!!!" kool-aid.

Anyway, one of Ryan Dombal's better write-ups. His complaints seem to be mostly about Visconti's production, nothing negative about the songwriting.

The guitar riff at the beginning of you set the world on fire is a lot like Jack White's guitar riff at the beginning of Sixteen Saltines. And that sounds like an almost exact copy of that guitar riff at the intro of Beverly Hills 90210 90's song theme. Just sayin.

I didn't "have" to be vindicated. But I was questioning the hyperbole of the "greatest comeback EVAR!!" reviews that initially appeared, and the more recent things I've read (not just P-Fork's) have been positive but more tempered.

Now wondering if I should have bought the deluxe edition. Someone online was saying the bonus tracks are great. Oh well, I'll just get the mp3s.

Hard to write up after just 2 listens, especially when there's 14 songs. El Mel is right that this could stand to lose a couple tracks. For me I think I'd drop Boss Of Me and I'd Rather Be High (which I may be confusing with something else).

Am I the only one getting a (London) Suede vibe from Valentine's Day? The music and Bowie's vocal?

Also, I have to say, while not a bad song, I find Heat to be extremely anticlimactic, especially considering how amazing Heathen (The Rays) and Bring Me The Disco King were as closers.

Hard for me to pick favorites. It's very consistent, probably moreso than Reality. But I stand by my original feelings that this doesn't scale heights of Heathen. I'd probably take Slow Burn, Slip Away, and the aforementioned title track over anything on The Next Day, for starters.

I'm guessing that the reason people like El Mel are ranking it a little higher is mainly because this album has a bit more energy, looser and less polished. That's fine. But for me it's derivative of earlier sounds, and while I realize it's hard for a major innovator like Bowie to go anywhere new at this point (much like where U2 is right now), I find Heathen a more unique listen, even right from the starting track. And I also feel that his vocal prowess is more on display with that album, more instances where he really belts it out. He's more restrained here, even when the music is more rocking.

Regardless, they're both better than Scary Monsters, which I listened to again on Monday and still can't figure out where people are seeing all this brilliance. Teenage Wildlife is a very enjoyable attempt at Heroes part 2, Up The Hill Backwards is good. But Fashion is still awful and Ashes To Ashes, while a good single, isn't exactly Rebel Rebel or The Jean Genie.

I saw him live, probably a dozen times in the 70s and 80s, this new album is best thing he has done in decades. If he does go live, I hope the venue in not too big. I have some great photographs from those live shows, taken by a professional photographer. They are about 16 X 20 inch mounted. They are in my attic in boxes, I should get them out. Can't find anything on line that in near as cool as they are.

I saw him live, probably a dozen times in the 70s and 80s, this new album is best thing he has done in decades. If he does go live, I hope the venue in not too big. I have some great photographs from those live shows, taken by a professional photographer. They are about 16 X 20 inch mounted. They are in my attic in boxes, I should get them out. Can't find anything on line that in near as cool as they are.

In the 70's?

Wow

I'm guessing that the reason people like El Mel are ranking it a little higher is mainly because this album has a bit more energy, looser and less polished.

That is exactly why. The music and production feel fresh and vital to me, though I will agree that it is a step down vocally from Heathen. Stars Are Out Tonight, while a great song in many ways, feels a little lost from a vocal perspective.

yes, I am in my 50s, hate to admit that, but I am not getting any younger. I started going to live shows when I was in my teens. I used to go to several a week.

I wish i could have been at a Bowie gig (or Pink Floyd, Stones, Zep etc) in the 70's. But i was born in the middle 70's...

'The Next Day' will be his highest charting album in the US. Guaranteed at least #2. 'Station to Station' at #3 if his highest. Amazing he hasn't had a #1 yet. :(

Next Day might get #1 though.

I wish i could have been at a Bowie gig (or Pink Floyd, Stones, Zep etc) in the 70's. But i was born in the middle 70's...
none of us choose the time or the place we are born,
I was at some of those later 70 shows, again I have great LZ and Stones photos up in the attic.

none of us choose the time or the place we are born,
I was at some of those later 70 shows, again I have great LZ and Stones photos up in the attic.

How was the atmosphere back then at a concert like those? Very different from today?

That is exactly why. The music and production feel fresh and vital to me, though I will agree that it is a step down vocally from Heathen. Stars Are Out Tonight, while a great song in many ways, feels a little lost from a vocal perspective.

The production doesn't help either IMO with Bowie's vocal centered and buried in the mix... I like my Bowie baritone/bass vocals upfront and clear.

They've been hyping that album/tour all year and then some, I just didn't know the release date.

At least its Bon Jovi and not One Direction or Kesha or something!

Bon Jovi is performing on American Idol tomorrow, so that could give an edge. Either way, big week regardless. 90,000-100,000 for Bowie is big, could be his biggest week ever. Though its tough to find out how many an album like "Let's Dance" or "Heroes" had.

Let's Dance:

Sales and certifications
Region Certification Sales/shipments
Canada (Music Canada)[19] 5× Platinum 500,000^
Finland (Musiikkituottajat)[20] Gold 45,201[20]
France (SNEP)[21] Platinum 847,700[22]
Netherlands (NVPI)[23] Platinum 100,000^
United Kingdom (BPI)[24] Platinum 300,000^
United States (RIAA)[25] Platinum 1,000,000^

Can't find Heroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.