David Bowie.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes.

All of these wouldn't necessarily make it but they would certainly contend:

Outside
Hallo Spaceboy
Strangers When We Meet

Earthling
Little Wonder

Heathen (I personally think this is in Bowie's Top 5 albums)
Sunday
Slow Burn
Slip Away
5:15 The Angels Have Gone
Heathen (The Rays)

Reality
She'll Drive the Big Car
Fall Dog Bombs the Moon
Bring Me the Disco King (this is definitely in my Top 10 Bowie songs)

Wow, okay. Thanks for not including anything from Hours... :wink:

I really like Heathen and Reality, but I don't think that they compare to his first-decade albums. "Disco King" would be the one post-Monsters track that would contend for my top fifteen or twenty Bowie songs list.

LOVE the fact that the Ashes To Ashes piano part was an influence on the piano in Lemon! :hmm: my second favourite U2 song and possibly my favourite Bowie song. I love how things turn out to be linked like that.

Wow, okay. Thanks for not including anything from Hours... :wink:

I really like Heathen and Reality, but I don't think that they compare to his first-decade albums. "Disco King" would be the one post-Monsters track that would contend for my top fifteen or twenty Bowie songs list.

Well glad to know I'm not crazy about Disco King. It's a staggering track that doesn't get enough love.

YouTube - Bring Me the Disco King

If he never releases another album, this was one great track to go out on.

I'd love to hear him do a whole album of jazzy stuff. He'd be perfect for it.

Care to post an example? If you're talking about prog rock, he's not a fan, but Bowie's experimentation wouldn't fall under that anyway.

Bono often uses only the word progressive so it hard to say what all falls under that umbrella term. For example, he called NLOTH art house and dangerously close to being progressive. Nothing on there is near prog rock but parts of it are atmospheric and could, depending on the listener, be perceived as ambient. So I have to conclude that Bono meant that the Eno influence was too great. The atmospheric tracks on NLOTH are far closer to the second half of Low than prog rock.

In any case, this is a silly argument to have.

Bono often uses only the word progressive so it hard to say what all falls under that umbrella term. For example, he called NLOTH art house and dangerously close to being progressive. Nothing on there is near prog rock but parts of it are atmospheric and could, depending on the listener, be perceived as ambient. So I have to conclude that Bono meant that the Eno influence was too great. The atmospheric tracks on NLOTH are far closer to the second half of Low than prog rock.

In any case, this is a silly argument to have.
Bono also has no idea what he's talking about. He's a horrible judge of U2's work and has no idea what the words he uses mean.

I am still not as familiar with this guy's catalogue as I should be. Like, nowhere even close. It's David fucking Bowie, I can't keep going through life with my limited understanding of his body of work.

Of the albums I've heard, I like Ziggy the best. I've seen a lot of talk about it being overrated and what not, but I think it's a fantastic collection of songs. The tunes are just fucking great. It's also the one I'm most familiar with.

I know all of his big hits, of course, but I think, other than Ziggy, the only albums I've heard all the way through are Aladdin Sane and Hunky Dory. I used to have those two on my old computer, but lost them, and will probably have to download them sometime soon. Didn't give either of them enough listens, I know that.

So I have some Bowie work to do. I'm thinking I'm going start with the old self-titled debut and work forward chronologically.

My only issue with Ziggy, and I do agree it's a great collection of songs, is that it's arguably the most straightforward rock album he's put out, and I prefer him a bit on the experimental side.

Station to Station is his best album, for my money. Not a weak track on the album, great mixture of a lot of his different sounds.

Bowie is one of those artists for whom it is extremely difficult to identify a "best" album. Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Aladdin Sane, Station to Station, and Low would all be in the running for me.

I think Space Oddity is underrated, too. A lot of great tracks are on that one.

I never quite got into Hunky Dory as much as others have. A few too many weak tracks on that one, in my view.

Just listened to Scary Monsters and Heathen again today for the first time in a while, and only realized after that they were both Visconti-produced, and the latter the first time they had collaborated again since the former, after over 20 years.

I still give the edge to Heathen, Bowie's voice is so fucking good on it, plus you have a great Pixies cover, Pete Townshend and Dave Grohl as guests., and while this isn't very important I love the photography and artwork.

i've got eight Bowie albums and the only thing i know is that i rate Lodger #8, to laz's chagrin. the rest i wouldn't have a fucking clue how to order.

A New Career in a New Town is my favourite Bowie song though.

i also heard that he and Keith Richards had sex.

Bono also has no idea what he's talking about. He's a horrible judge of U2's work and has no idea what the words he uses mean.
you know when i read your posts i imagine a person who has never smiled.

Bowie is one of those artists for whom it is extremely difficult to identify a "best" album. Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Aladdin Sane, Station to Station, and Low would all be in the running for me.

Don't forget Diamond Dogs. It's one of my favorites, and, I feel, one of his more underrated records here. Rebel Rebel, Sweet Thing, 1984, Big Brother, Rock And Roll With Me :drool:

david bowies sucess in the uk

A question for people in the UK, how well did bowies 90's albums do thier? I'm from the us and its hard for me to gauge that. I know here it wasn't the best commercialy. Thanks

Including the second Tin Machine album, Bowie released 5 new studio albums in the '90's 1 live LP, and 4 compilations, that reached the charts, a few compilation LP's failed to chart in the UK. Chartwise 2 LP's reached No.1, four more reached the top 10, and four charted outside the top 10.

1990. ChangesBowie No.1
1991. Tin MachineII No.23
1993. Black Tie White Noise No.1
1993. The Singles Collection No.9
1994. Santa Monica '72 No.74
1995. 1.Outside No.8
1997. Earthling No.6
1997. The Best Of 1969/1974 No.13
1998. The Best Of 1974/1979 No.39
1999. Hours No.5

Status
Not open for further replies.