David Bowie.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMacPhisto said:
Is his work with Tin Machine worth checking out?

I haven't heard it myself, but from what I hear, Tin Machine isn't too noteworthy. I'd check out his other albums first, assuming you haven't heard all of them (OUTSIDE!! :drool:).

Ziggy is the best Bowie album from start to finish.

I cannot stress that enough.

I've just bought Ziggy. It's pretty good but i've only heard it twice. Moonage Daydream is my favourite so far.

Which album to purchase next then...:hmm:

You can't go wrong with either really.

Hunky Dory has "Life on Mars?", "Queen Bitch", "Changes", "Quicksand", "Oh! You Pretty Things", songs that are normally hard to beat.

But Ziggy is a better album overall: It's a loose concept album, it rocks harder, plus it's a classic in every sense of the word.

U2democrat said:
I've been studying this thread deciding which to purchase next as well...I'm leaning toward Ziggy and Hunky Dory...:hmm:

First one I got was Space Oddity, and i was hooked. Then I went back to hunky dory, also excellent. From what 've I heard, you can't go wrong.

There's a starrrrrrrman,
waiting in the sky.
He'd like to come and meet us,
but he thinks he'll blow out mindsss.

How about Seu Jorge's covers for The Life Aquatic?

It truly shows how amazing Bowie's songwriting really is.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Slip Away is also one of my favorite Bowie tunes.

Is his work with Tin Machine worth checking out?

All down to personal opinion really, it got absolutely slaughtered by the critics, but I've always liked both LP's, the Live LP was a bit iffy, but the 2 studio albums, imo are really worth listening to. Also, round that time, he wrote & performed a duet with Adrian Belew, called Pretty Pink Rose, try & get a copy of that, its definetly one of Bowie's best rock tracks ever!!!

What do you think of The Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud, from the Space Oddity album, UberBeaver, thats another of my all time favourite Bowie tracks, along with The Cygnet Committee, & Janine, & Letter To Hermione, & Unwashed & Somewhat Slightly Dased, &.......

LemonMacPhisto said:
How about Seu Jorge's covers for The Life Aquatic?

It truly shows how amazing Bowie's songwriting really is.

I'll second this opinion.

I'm not a big fan of covers or anything, but that CD really shows some of Bowie's best songs in a totally different light, and it's just glorious. :love:

jimmmm said:

What do you think of The Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud, from the Space Oddity album, UberBeaver, thats another of my all time favourite Bowie tracks, along with The Cygnet Committee, & Janine, & Letter To Hermione, & Unwashed & Somewhat Slightly Dased, &.......

So far Space Oddity is my favorite of his albums. The only song I rarely listen to is Space Oddity, I guess cause I've heard it a million times, and it doesn't seem to fit the album.

The rest of the songs are excellent. Janine is a bit goofy, but still good. Cygnet Committee is my fav. Freecloud is excellent as well.

LemonMacPhisto said:
There's a starrrrrrrman,
waiting in the sky.
He'd like to come and meet us,
but he thinks he'll blow out mindsss.
Mick Ronson's guitar licks from that song are absolutely to die for. I was also listening to Moonage Daydream today and his random little blips and slides during the verses are just fantastic.

Y'all wouldn't believe the running around I did today (First to Borders, then FYE, then Target, then Circuit City, then Best Buy, finally back to FYE). I ended up buying both Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust because I couldn't decide which one I wanted :lol:

I'm enjoying them now :)

U2democrat said:
Y'all wouldn't believe the running around I did today (First to Borders, then FYE, then Target, then Circuit City, then Best Buy, finally back to FYE). I ended up buying both Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust because I couldn't decide which one I wanted :lol:

Hunky Dory is such a sweet, innocent little gift of an album. I think Bowie's songwriting shines brighter on that record than any other album. Ziggy is just the pinnacle of awesome melodrama and hooks though.

U2democrat said:

Oh, you're gonna have a good night.

Does your copy of Ziggy have "Sweethead" as a bonus track?

Sweethead:drool::rockon::drool:

"until there was rock you only had God"

Last edited:
Hunky Dorey is just a stunning album, and unfortunately overlooked in his catalog.

Life on Mars? :love:

The best 20 bucks (???) you'll ever spend :up:

It's all about Queen Bitch guys.

"cuz I'm down on the streets and I'm trying hard to pull Sister Flo"

It reminds me of a Velvet Underground song.

LemonMacPhisto said:
The best 20 bucks (???) you'll ever spend :up:

It's all about Queen Bitch guys.

"cuz I'm down on the streets and I'm trying hard to pull Sister Flo"

It reminds me of a Velvet Underground song.

Have you heard his cover of "White Light/White Heat"?

Tis on that "Bowie at the Beeb" album.

I can send.

Lancemc said:
Hunky Dorey is just a stunning album, and unfortunately overlooked in his catalog.

Life on Mars? :love:

It did exceptionally well in the UK, 125 wks on chart, with a peak pos. of #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom