David Bowie.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Diamond Dogs was always one of my favorites. I played that album to death back when I first got into Bowie :up:

I have the title track, Rebel Rebel, and 1984. All are fantastic. I want to buy it next.

I love Sweet Thing :drool: His voice on that is gorgeous. It still ranks among my all time favorite songs. (In fact it was my favorite song for a long time in the early 80's) And Chant of the Ever Circling Skeletal Family is a bizarre track, but cool.

phillyfan26 said:
I have the title track, Rebel Rebel, and 1984. All are fantastic. I want to buy it next.

Diamond Dogs is very, very good, but I think it could have used a better track order. Diamond Dogs--->Sweet Thing? Not great. Sweet Thing (Reprise)--->Rebel Rebel? Even worse.

How pretty is Eight Line Poem? It's one of my favourite Bowie songs. Top ten.

Bowie survivor :drool: We are doing it. Who wants to run it though?

Imagine the openness, the awesomeness...

COBL_04 said:

Bowie survivor :drool: We are doing it. Who wants to run it though?

Imagine the openness, the awesomeness...

Can we just do it up to Scary Monsters? I'm not sure how many people would vote in the Tonight and Never Let Me Down draws. :lol:

It should really be '69-'80 Bowie Survivor, because it's a guarantee the winner lies in there, and that's the only votes you'll get substantially.

phillyfan26 said:
It should really be '69-'80 Bowie Survivor, because it's a guarantee the winner lies in there, and that's the only votes you'll get substantially.

Just skip the '80s entirely and move onto the '90s. He has some great work that's gone pretty much unnoticed there.

Heathen and Reality from the '00s are extremely good, too.

I just think the problem will be vote numbers when it comes to his 90s and 00s stuff.

I've actually heard great things about Heathen and Reality, and want to get to those after I finish the 70s.

Yeah, the vote numbers will be shit for his '90s work, even if it is extremely good... I'm not so sure about his '00s work though.

You might like it, Pete Townshend plays guitar on a track or two on Heathen.

I own four: Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, and Station to Station.

I'm lined up to buy Diamond Dogs and The Man Who Sold the World this week or next. Then I'll probably start on Low.

phillyfan26 said:
I own four: Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, and Station to Station.

I'm lined up to buy Diamond Dogs and The Man Who Sold the World this week or next. Then I'll probably start on Low.

You're waiting that long to listen to Low? Damn. It's way better than Hunky Dory and Diamond Dogs, probably on par with Aladdin Sane. It's one of the most influential rock albums in history.

I know that already. I'm trying to experience pre-Berlin Bowie as much as I can before Low. I figure I can manage two more albums before temptation gives way.

Bowie has flown into my top three favorite artists in the past month. Originally it was a clear 1-2 with no definitive third top round out the top three. Now it's definitively U2, Springsteen, and Bowie.

I'd recommend new listeners check them out in this order, though I wouldn't rank them this way:

Tier 1: Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Low
Tier 2: Aladdin Sane, Station To Station, Diamond Dogs
Tier 3: Man Who Sold The World, Heroes, Scary Monsters
Tier 4: Everything else

Of the albums I have so far, I'd rank them:

1. Ziggy Stardust
2. Station to Station
3. Aladdin Sane
4. Hunky Dory

1. Station To Station
2. Ziggy Stardust
3. Low
4. Aladdin Sane
5. Diamond Dogs
6. Hunky Dory
7. Reality
8. Young Americans
9. Heroes

Need to listen to Scary Monsters, Outside, Let's Dance, and Man Who Sold The World a bit more to properly rank them. My mom has David Live on vinyl, but I've never listened to it all the way through.

Last edited:
Aladdin Sane doesn't really have those "Wow!" tracks that Ziggy or Station to Station has, but it's unbelievably consistent. Across the board solid.

I am a huge Aladdin Sane supporter. The first half is superb (actually, first six, since Time is also very good), and the second half has some great moments with some weaker tracks. Let's Spend The Night Together probably should have gone on Pin Ups, and Prettiest Star simply isn't great at all.

But wow...that first half. :drool: Title track, Cracked Actor, Panic In Detroit...unbelievable.

He does one cover on a few albums, and Let's Spend the Night Together rocks, so I'm not complaining.

:wink: I just don't like the original song that much. He does a good job with it, but it breaks up the flow*

*WTF???

Now, Diamond Dogs is something else entirely. Very uneven, with many "WOW" moments. As you already know, Diamond Dogs and Rebel Rebel are superb.

I have the three most highly rated songs from that album: the title track, Rebel Rebel, and 1984.

I always hear about the Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing trio as well.

LemonMelon said:
I'd recommend new listeners check them out in this order, though I wouldn't rank them this way:

Tier 1: Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Low
Tier 2: Aladdin Sane, Station To Station, Diamond Dogs
Tier 3: Man Who Sold The World, Heroes, Scary Monsters
Tier 4: Everything else

I can dig that, but would stick Heathen on the 3rd tier, because it warrants mentioning.

I think Heathen is the best Bowie album since Lodger. And Reality right up there with Scary Monsters.

The 90's are underrated though. Outside is a difficult listen but there are some standout tracks, and Earthling was a very respectable experiment with techno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom