Daniel Lanois Hurt in Motorcycle Accident..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fanatic4ever

Blue Crack Addict
Daniel Lanois Hurt in Motorcycle Accident

Daniel Lanois Hurt in Motorcycle Accident
@U2, June 08, 2010
By: Tassoula/ @tassoula

Entertainment Weekly reports that U2 producer Daniel Lanois was injured in a motorcycle accident Saturday in Los Angeles and has canceled all of his upcoming tour dates.

He is currently in intensive care and is expected to heal over the next two months.

All of us at @U2 send well wishes to Danny for a fast recovery.

Ouch.

Here's hoping for a complete recovery.

Just heard this. Not good news. First Bono, now him. :sad: I wish him a speedy recovery.

Oh my goodness. I am really sorry to hear this......Danny, get well soon! My best thoughts, prayers for your complete recovery.

This says a bit more, but not much:

CANOE -- JAM! Music: Daniel Lanois in motorcycle crash

Canadian record producer, guitarist and singer-songwriter Daniel Lanois is in intensive care in Los Angeles following a motorcycle crash on the weekend and concert dates in Europe this summer have been cancelled.

Jive Records sent out a release Tuesday saying Lanois suffered "multiple injuries" in the crash.

"(He) is expected to be released from intensive care soon. Due to the severity of the injuries, Lanois has cancelled all upcoming tour dates and promotional activity and will be recuperating for the next two months," the release said.

Lanois's website (daniellanois.com) lists several dates in Europe in July.

It also says he was scheduled to perform at the Montreal International Jazz Festival on July 2.

"We were informed that sadly, Daniel Lanois won't be able to perform in Montreal because of his accident," festival spokesman Hugo Leclerc told QMI Agency Tuesday.

Lanois started his producing career with brother Bob in their mother's basement in Ancaster, Ont. He purchased a home in Hamilton to form Grant Avenue Studios.

He has worked with U2, Neil Young, Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, Peter Gabriel and Canadian children's singer Raffi. His 1995 collaboration with Emmylou Harris on the album Wrecking Ball nabbed him a Grammy for best contemporary folk album.

He had recently started the new trio, Black Dub (blackdub.net).

Lanois took to his Twitter account on Saturday to say he was wrapping up in L.A. and heading to Canada.

"Sweeping up in LA. Headed to the canoe for Black Dub rehearsals soonish.

Nuit Blanche plans with the Toronto team," he wrote.

Jive Records recently signed Black Dub and the release said their debut album will be released "when circumstances permit."

The universe is screwing with U2 and their people. This is bad news. Wishing you speedy recovery Daniel. Whoever is behind this bad spell they are putting on the band: it's not funny anymore! I think it's Bon Jovi - I hear he has a new album coming out...probably trying to get the competition out of the way before he goes on tour :hmm:

A couple of new details concerning the accident:
Lanois was riding in the hilly Silverdale section of L.A. when he fell. He reportedly suffered multiple injuries but is expected to be released from intensive care soon, according to a statement from Jive Records. He will be recuperating for the next two months.

Veteran music journalist Larry LeBlanc, a long-time friend of Lanois, spoke to the musician on Lanois’s cellphone Tuesday. The musician said he had many broken bones and indicated he was in pain, but spoke lucidly and did not seem noticeably under heavy sedation.

“He just said, Look, I got a lot of broken bones,” LeBlanc said. “He’s always an ‘up’ person anyways.”

News of Lanois’s accident was a surprise to many. Even some people close to Lanois, who is known as a private person, were said to have been unaware of his injuries.

Source: Daniel Lanois in hospital after serious accident - The Globe and Mail

The universe is screwing with U2 and their people. This is bad news. Wishing you speedy recovery Daniel. Whoever is behind this bad spell they are putting on the band: it's not funny anymore! I think it's Bon Jovi - I hear he has a new album coming out...probably trying to get the competition out of the way before he goes on tour :hmm:

:shifty:
this is what I am thinking too.. and yes it isn't funny anymore.

:sad: I'm sorry for him, and for the Black Dub plans. Heal well my friend, maybe you can go rehab in Eze with Bono.

he had tour dates?

Yeah, mostly European, I think, but he was also supposed to play a jazz festival in Montreal at the beginning of July, and he mentioned Nuit Blanche, an annual overnight artsy festival held outdoors in downtown Toronto each fall. I hope he can still make the latter, because I've always wanted to go, and seeing him there would be incentive for me to stay up all night and walk around in the cold.

Here's a more detailed article from today's edition of Lanois' hometown paper:

TheSpec.com - Local - Lanois in intensive care

Star music producer breaks several bones in motorcycle crash
June 09, 2010
Nicole O'Reilly; With files from Jon Wells
The Hamilton Spectator
LOS ANGELES (Jun 9, 2010)

A motorcycle crash has landed Daniel Lanois in hospital with a broken pelvis, ribs and other bones, but the Grammy-winning Canadian producer and artist's hands are OK.

The 58-year-old is in intensive care at a Los Angeles hospital following the crash in the Silverlake area Saturday.

He is conscious and expected to be released from the hospital soon, though his recovery could take at least two months.

"He's got a lot of broken bones -- ribs, pelvis -- but he's OK. He's got bruised hands," said Bob Doidge, a childhood friend of the musician-producer and co-owner of Hamilton's Grant Avenue Studio, which was founded by Lanois .

"He can limp around for a while, but he needs his hands."

Jean-Paul Gauthier, Hamilton Music Awards director, has been in contact with Lanois's manager, who was at the musician's hospital bedside.

"His spirits are up and he's as feisty as ever," Gauthier said.

But his extensive injuries have forced Lanois to cancel all upcoming tour dates, said a news release from his label.

His latest project, Black Dub Collective, will release its debut "when circumstances permit," his label said.

Lanois, born in Quebec and raised in Hamilton, is best known for his moody, atmospheric production work with U2 (The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby) and Bob Dylan (Time Out of Mind, Oh Mercy).

His mother, brother and sister live in the Hamilton area, but could not be reached.

It's unclear whether they went to see Lanois.

Doidge, who said he had just spoken to Lanois a week ago, was shocked to learn of the accident.

"He was out on the road with Neil Young," he said. The two musicians are reported to be collaborating on a new album.

Lanois had plans to return to Hamilton to go camping with Doidge in August on the French River, which flows from Lake Nipissing to Georgian Bay.

Maybe now Lanois will stay and relax a little longer, Doidge suggested.

He said he was always warning Lanois to be careful on his motorcycle - a beloved BMW.

In an interview with The Spectator in 2007, Lanois spoke candidly about his love of riding motorcycles, including trips down to Mexico.

"It keeps my brain sharp, my sense of telepathy alive. To be on the bike means you have to read minds, look into cars, anticipate moves, which is what music is all about," he said.

At that time he also recalled a freak accident on his own driveway that sent him flying from his bike. He had a frozen shoulder for about eight months.

But he also said he knew where it was safe to go fast.

"I'll go fast in the desert or to get out of a dangerous situation. But I'm not a speed bike rider," Lanois said.

Broken pelvis, ouch. I know a couple of people who've had that and it's pretty awful. A friend broke hers during childbirth, if you can imagine.

I don't know the details - I've known her since high school, then we ended up with children the same age, and our daughters are friends. They moved away, so I haven't talked to her in ages, but her daughter has been over since it happened, and that's what she said (she's old enough to know the story). I didn't press for details, because, how horrible, but I suspect maybe there was something else going on like early osteoporosis or something. Hips generally don't break when getting out of bed.

She wasn't anorexic. OH! Have I heard that steroids can cause bone loss? If so, I'll bet that's it. She's a pretty severe asthmatic.

I really shouldn't be diagnosing my friend on an internet forum. :reject:

Back
Top Bottom