Cure tour in Australia and then North America - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2008, 12:06 AM   #106
Refugee

Local Time: 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
The new material sounds awful. Underneath the Stars is an OK song, but the rest is plain mediocre at best. The Cure really should have called it quits after Bloodflowers.
The concerts and the setlists do seem cool, though.
I actually disagree.

I think this could easily be the best album since "Wish", and I'm desperately hoping these songs will rival at least some of that album's amazing songs. I think Porl Thompson was the missing link! It's a very exciting time to be a Cure fan! Then again, ask me a year after the album's released to get a more balanced view! Whatever you say, they kick the crap out of "alt.end" (why must it always be played live), "(I Don't Know What's Going) On", and "Just Like Heaven"-ripoff "Taking Off"!

Old 07-13-2008, 12:14 AM   #107
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
No worries, man. Half the time I'm joking on here I look at it later and realize it could easily be misconstrued as me being a douchebag. To be perfectly honest, the two songs I personally actually saw and heard live (Perfect Boy and Sleep When I'm Dead) sounded pretty lame on those videos as well, so I don't blame you for not being impressed. Hopefully they were just bad performances in particular (and hopefully I was not just so happy to be seeing them live again that I over-estimated them at the show).

I'm still waiting for the record before I make too much of a judgment. Plus, even if the first "poppier" record isn't 100% stellar, the promised "dark" record will hopefully make up for it.
Yeah, I've often found pop songs to never sound nearly as good live as on the album. The subtlety of "Friday I'm In Love" with all the intricately balanced guitar lines and lucious vocals are reduced to a clumsy rock number. I feel the same way about nearly any pop song by any band, including "One" by U2, but mostly because Bono's vocal delivery is lacking.

Anyway, I actually thought "Freakshow" was the most fun of all the new songs I saw, save "Underneath the Stars" and "Baby Rag Dog Book", neither of which I saw live.

You lucky Americans got some real gems: Doing the Unstuck, To Wish Impossible Things, The Big Hand, Catch, A Letter to Elise -- all massive favorites of mine! I'll take those over anything from the first 3 albums, save "Charlotte Sometimes" or "The Drowning Man".

Here's the Freakshow video (I just got the single in the mail, but I'm not ready to listen to it yet):
YouTube - The Cure - Freakshow

Here's an audio clip of the b-side that many Cure fans are raving about: "All Kinds of Stuff":
YouTube - The Cure - All kinds of stuff

Here's "The Only One" single b-side: "NY Trip". I really like it!

Old 07-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #108
Refugee

Sleep When I'm Dead official video:

YouTube - The Cure - Sleep When I'm Dead
Old 07-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #109
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 04:42 PM
Definitely like Sleep When I'm Dead more than Freakshow. The b-side is pretty decent as well.

Of the "singles" that have been released, I'd probably rate them like this:

1. The Only One
2. Sleep When I'm Dead
3. Freak Show

Underneath the Stars is still better than any of them though. Much better.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:05 AM   #110
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 04:42 PM
I'm really enjoying this cover of 'A Forest' by Bat For Lashes for an upcoming Cure tribute album. You can download it legally for free here:

"A Forest" (The Cure cover) [MP3/Stream] | Pitchfork

Tags
the cure