Crowded House and Split Enz - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2006, 05:05 AM   #1
45:33

Local Time: 04:56 PM
Crowded House and Split Enz

I'm just beginning to appreciate the wonderful music of these two bands, and was wondering if either have best-ofs or greatest hits, combined or seperately. I've downloaded Don't Dream It's Over and Six Months in a Leaky Boat is on its way as I type, are them any other recommendations?

Old 06-01-2006, 05:30 AM   #2
Vocal parasite

Skip compilations. Get the good stuff.

Crowded House's Together Alone is one of the most excellent melodic rock albums I have ever heard. Neil Finn is a genius, and this album is far more richly atmospheric than any that went before it. Considering my love of The Unforgettable Fire, I doubt many who are familiar with Together Alone are shocked that someone with my tastes would enjoy it.

I would also highly recommend Crowded House's eponymous debut. Avoid Woodface, though. Wildly over-rated - the album's almost completely filler past Fame Is. In fact, Fame Is isn't exactly that good either, but I still enjoy it.

And as far as Split Enz goes, great albums are Frenzy, Time And Tide, True Colours, and Waiata. Now, if I'm honest, I'm familiar with Crowded House's Best Of and think it's a decent introduction, but I'm not familiar with any Enz compilations.

I can't wait to see Split Enz live in a week!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:56 AM
Don't discount the Crowded House compilation Recurring Dream. Try to find an edition with the bonus live disc, it's more than worth the effort to find it (Sister Madly is especially brilliant, where the band breaks down, but somehow succeed in making it a magical rendition).

And despite what Axver says (and he's right about the quality of Together Alone), Woodface is a masterpiece too. Excellent songs.

I'm not familiar with Split Enz, but I heard their catalogue has just been rereleased in Australia. Hopefully these CDs also come our way.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:50 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:56 AM
Is Crowded House still making new music? I seem to recall them being very big - at least in Europe - in the early 90s.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:56 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
Is Crowded House still making new music? I seem to recall them being very big - at least in Europe - in the early 90s.
No, they split up in 1996.

Later this year their Farewell To The World concert will be released on DVD!
*has never seen that one*
Old 06-01-2006, 04:01 PM   #6
The Fly

Local Time: 05:56 AM
Ditto the Together Alone recommendation, one of my top 10 albums of all time by any artist. Start to finish this one is a cracker. I thought Anxer was too harsh on Woodface - it has my fav CH song, Fall At Your Feet, on it and a couple other good immediate numbers (She Goes On, Whispers & Moans). But nowadays I find myself listening to their 2nd record, Temple of Low Men, more and more and Woodface a bit less. So while Woodface's highs might be very high, there is also some filler there. Temple and Together are solid albums with very little clutter.

The CH compilation Recurring Dream is worth checking out for newbies - good song selection for the most part and a couple new tracks that are good (particularly Instinct). But after getting that you will be compelled to get the full albums as there is a lot more good stuff. Avoid Afterglow, the bands B-sides album (for completists only). But as to their studio efforts, for a 4 album career, these guys were just remarkable.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:15 PM   #7
Vocal parasite

I simply don't understand Woodface's popularity. The first half is generally excellent - I love songs such as Chocolate Cake, Four Seasons In One Day, Tall Trees, and There Goes God - but I find most of the second half boring and unlistenable. All I Ask and As Sure As I Am are the two worst culprits there.

And I personally disagree with avoiding Afterglow. That's actually my second favourite Crowdies disc, after Together Alone. I think Recurring Dream is the best song the band ever made, and Anyone Can Tell is pretty close to such a high mark too. There are other great songs there too.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-01-2006, 08:09 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:56 AM
There Goes God was on one of my desert island discs at one point, and I would've included How Will You Go had it not had that annoying hidden track at the end. I enjoy Woodface, but I agree that it's a bit inconsistent. I recently loaded it onto my iPod, and I only included about half of it.

I appreciate Crowded House most for their harmonies. Their songs are pretty to listen to. I only have Woodface and Recurring Dream, but they're a band I'm going to get around to knowing better one of these days.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:39 PM   #9
45:33

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
I can't wait to see Split Enz live in a week!

I am so jealous. They're performing with Evermore as well, which are another of my favourite bands...I so want to be there but Dad said you got tickets to U2, so be happy.

Awrgh.

I'm also not happy because SMIALB did not work.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:13 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:26 PM
Arrghh, I know there's a Split Enz thread but I can't find it, this'll do

Last night, reptile and I went to see the Enz at our local hell hole (or Entertainment Centre) and it was FUCKING BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

All the hits, and then some, great suits, Tim's dancing, and best of all, Noel's spoons!!!!

I luuuuurrrvvveee Noel Crombie

Axver, what did you think?
Old 06-14-2006, 08:10 PM   #11
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl
Axver, what did you think?
BLOODY AWESOME!! Wow, the Enz certainly rocked Brisbane. I ended up with a spare ticket which I gave to my flatmate; before the show, he wasn't sure if he wanted to go because he only liked a few of the hits and wasn't so keen on the other material I played, but as testament to the greatness of Split Enz, he walked out singing their praises - and hasn't stopped randomly bursting into Enz songs since!

And after they didn't play them at the Finn Brothers concert in Brisbane last year, I'm so glad they played Dirty Creature and History Never Repeats!

Now all I want is for another Enz/Finn concert to come near me and for them to play Hermit McDermitt.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-15-2006, 01:06 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

^

I thought the crowd here was a bit subdued, or maybe they all forgot their zimmer frames at home, I've never seen so many people sit during "I see red"! You can be sure reptile and I made nuisances of ourselves in the aisles
Old 06-15-2006, 01:42 AM   #13
Vocal parasite

More people stood at the Enz show here than at the Finn Brothers one. In fact, to be precise, I was the only person I could see who stood during the Finn Brothers show.

Most of the floor stood for Split Enz at the start, though by the middle, I noticed only the front third or so were on their feet (then again, this was during I Hope I Never, not exactly jump-and-dance material). I was too busy enjoying I See Red to notice how many were on their feet. The crowd very noisily demanded encores, though! I was pleasantly surprised.

I must say, the combo to end the main set was just perfect, and so energetic. Pioneer/Six Months/I Got You/What's The Matter With You/I See Red.

to you and reptile. Concerts are not movies - get on your feet, people!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-15-2006, 02:37 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I was a bit surprised really cos last year in the same venue, the whole crowd stood for REM for the whole gig, and they're not exactly rocking out all the time either.

And yeah, the ending to the main set was worthy, I kept wondering how they were going to top each last song they performed!
Old 06-15-2006, 02:53 AM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl
^

I thought the crowd here was a bit subdued, or maybe they all forgot their zimmer frames at home, I've never seen so many people sit during "I see red"! You can be sure reptile and I made nuisances of ourselves in the aisles

How can you sit during "I See Red"?

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
I must say, the combo to end the main set was just perfect, and so energetic. Pioneer/Six Months/I Got You/What's The Matter With You/I See Red.

to you and reptile. Concerts are not movies - get on your feet, people!