Crowded House and Split Enz - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2016, 05:27 AM   #106
The Fly

Local Time: 05:43 PM
Having listened to Together Alone and Woodface ad nauseam over the last few days, I think Neil Finn has now surpassed Lennon and Macca for me as my favourite songwriter of all time. Pure genius.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:44 AM   #107
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:43 AM
Got my reissues today. It's been a great night digging through the bonus discs and I'm still getting properly acquainted. Some of the unreleased songs are just sketches or curiosities, while others are genuinely great tracks like "Convent Girls", "Spirit of the Stairs", "Tail of a Comet", "Anthem", etc. Right now I'm enjoying a tune called "I Don't Know You". As for the early/alt versions of songs we know, again some are sketches while others are fascinating, like the Zen Mix of "Locked Out". And apart from the three title words, there's nothing in the original "Whispers and Moans" that sounds anything like the song we know! It's a totally different song.

Also, the version of "Can't Carry On" on the regular album has an - unadvertised - extended ending! The fade-out is later. It's great.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:59 AM   #108
Vocal parasite

Holy shit the Crowded House version of "Loose Tongue" rocks.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-09-2016, 03:24 AM   #109
War Child

Local Time: 04:43 AM
Is this purely Crowded House or is there Enz stuff being reissued? Enz pre 80s is music at its artistic best

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app
Old 11-09-2016, 04:38 AM   #110
Vocal parasite

Crowdies. Though remember there were those big Enz reissues about a decade ago!

And I just realised that for some reason in one of my posts above I wrote "Can't Carry On" when I meant to say "I Walk Away". I've always been a little unsure if I prefer the Crowded House or Split Enz version of that song, but now with the extended ending I definitely favour the Crowdies'.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-10-2016, 06:26 AM   #111
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 11:43 AM
always the enz version.

can't carry on is still on there, right? because i thought oz had can't carry on and we had i walk away. maybe that was just initially and on the cd it was both.

Sent from my XT1575 using U2 Interference mobile app
Old 11-10-2016, 08:07 AM   #112
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:43 AM
I can't afford this
Old 11-10-2016, 02:46 PM   #113
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
always the enz version.

can't carry on is still on there, right? because i thought oz had can't carry on and we had i walk away. maybe that was just initially and on the cd it was both.
Yeah, the CD version had both, so the reissues do too.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-13-2016, 12:30 AM   #114
45:33

Picked up their four original albums in the reissue series. So lovingly packaged. Looking forward to spinning them before the Sydney Opera House gig!

Although, I do wish, as I'm sure you do Axver, that Recurring Dream was a more prominent song.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:52 AM   #115
Vocal parasite

Good stuff man.

They've definitely done a good job with preparing this. It's interesting to hear the original mix of "Recurring Dream". You should also actually grab Afterglow; as well as containing the definitive "Recurring Dream" (and "Anyone Can Tell", my second favourite Crowdies song, and "I Am in Love" and "Sacred Cow", two more in my top ten), the bonus disc is quite something. Neil tweeted that the bonus disc "could be the best record we made". It's certainly full of great tunes like "Spirit of the Stairs", "Anthem", a ripping Crowdies version of "Loose Tongue" (later released as a Neil solo song), and I'm quite taken by "I Don't Know You", which Mark Hart sings. He sometimes sings live, usually covers ("Born on the Bayou" is most common), but has never been given a studio lead before.

Speaking of Crowdies demos that became Neil solo songs, I was stunned to find "Strangest Friends" as a hidden track at the end of the Intriguer bonus disc, especially as it's not appended to "Nonsense of Course" on Spotify. It's probably better than the solo version too.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-13-2016, 03:19 AM   #116
45:33

What is Afterglow? I thought there was the original four plus the two ones this century.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 11-13-2016, 03:25 AM   #117
Vocal parasite

Afterglow is the rarities compilation that came out in 1999. It's really quite special and functions well as an album in its own right. It includes material recorded for the aborted mid-1990s sessions that were meant to produce a fifth album (and did give us the three new songs from the Best Of).

Funnily enough, until these reissues it was the only Crowdies release, besides the Best Of, that I had a physical copy of.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-13-2016, 10:50 AM   #118
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:43 AM
Appreciating the overview of these reissues, Axver . Will definitely look into getting these-sounds like there's lots of cool stuff to check out here . I'm particularly intrigued by the Crowded House version of "Loose Tongue".
Old 11-13-2016, 07:16 PM   #119
Vocal parasite

I keep discovering more cool stuff the more I listen to these discs. (Also, "Strangest Friends" is in "Nonsense of Course" on Spotify, contrary to what I said earlier; it's just marked as "medley" for some bizarre reason.) I'm now wondering what other Neil solo songs originally began life as Crowded House tracks. "Last One Standing" and "She Will Have Her Way" have always felt like Crowdies songs to me.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-16-2016, 12:38 PM   #120
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:43 PM
Saw a replay of their Facebook webcast. They are sounding really good, those Opera House shows are going to be amazing.