crowded house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yep.

back-to-business. a return to its effervescent best. one song a slow burner and one of the band's best songs ever. instant classics. Beatlesque middle eights. stock-standard mid-tempo CH fare. a marked improvement on the glorified Neil Finn solo album Time on Earth (which i quite liked).

Are there links to that show anywhere at all? I'd love to see that.

Seeing them tomorrow night :up:

*Envious*

"Saturday Sun" does slightly sound "Distant Sun"-ish, or at least, like something that would've come out around that time, also sounds like their 1996 songs in a way, too. Kind of an appropriate sound to pick up from. I love the piano in the new song, and how bright and cheery it sounds.

Edited to add: This, however, I'm not so sure on...guess this is the new video for said song. Don't know who all here has seen it yet, so here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsLISr-L-as&feature=related

That...does very weird things to my eyes *Blinks*. Really, really strange video.

(Neil's moustache is highlighted even more in it :giggle:. Oh, people'll love that...)

Angela

New album is quality. Totally makes up for the weaknesses in Time On Earth and sounds like an album by the complete band. I was a bit wary, fearing that since I had heard these songs live first, I would have the feeling of "these studio takes are good but the songs are so much better live". Not so. They feel like different rather than inferior takes; while the live versions are raw and have an immediate impact, the studio versions have more depth and complexity.

Saturday Sun didn't strike me on first but has really grown on me. The trio of Isolation (totally different to the 2008 version!), Twice If You're Lucky, and Inside Out is the album highlight for me. Inside Out sounds like some songs made by another one of my favourite Kiwi bands, The Chills; perhaps not a coincidence, given that Neil Finn helped resurrect Flying Nun, the label of The Chills. I hope Twice If You're Lucky is the second single, because I think it would do really well. And as for Isolation, it's an interesting departure from the classic Crowdies sound, which is funny as it was the most stereotypically Crowdies of all the 2008 songs, but very well done and enjoyable.

Great addition to the band's discography. Loving the setlists of the current tour, and the fact they are taking requests (and actually filling them!) on their website. Hope an Aussie tour is announced, and that they stick to the smaller venues of 2008. Wherever they play, I'll be all over tickets.

:drool:...awesome.

I investigated some of the songs on YouTube the other day (live performance clips, but still...), and yeah, I liked what I heard. Really liked "Twice If You're Lucky" (so pretty!) and "Amsterdam" in particular, as well as "Archer's Arrows". So, yay, this all sounds promising!

(Also, I don't believe I'm familiar with the Chills, guess I should change that, eh?)

Thanks for the review, Axver :).

Angela

The trio of Isolation, Twice If You're Lucky, and Inside Out is the album highlight for me.

completely agree with this. i've only just bought it and listened to it in the past hour or so, but i wasn't particularly enamoured with it. i feel like there's a few songs on Time on Earth which are better than anything here... but as with 99% of albums it'll grow on me.

Inside Out the pick of the bunch for me, and would be a great opener i reckon!

I've noticed a lot of Finn stuff tends to be that way. There's some of it that hits you immediately and you love it right away, but there's a lot of it that takes a few listens to fully absorb and get used to and understand. I kinda like it that way sometimes, though, it's fun having a bit of a challenge like that. Seems people are in general agreement on the highlights, at least :).

Gah, can't wait for July.

Angela

Heineken Music Hall - Amsterdam
20 June 2010

I Feel Possessed
Saturday Sun
Private Universe
Say That Again
Fall At Your Feet
Amsterdam
We Need a Prime Minister
Either Side of the World
Even a Child
Four Seasons in One Day
Nails in My Feet
Isolation
Message To My Girl (Split Enz)
Chocolate Cake
Something So Strong
Locked Out
Don't Dream It's Over
Distant Sun
It's Only Natural
Encore:
Weather With You
She Called Up
Better Be Home Soon

one of the best shows I've ever been to

Nails in My Feet
Message To My Girl (Split Enz)

If I ever get to hear these songs at any future Crowded House shows I go to, I will be able to officially die a happy woman. Same with "Fingers Of Love" and "Into Temptation". I'd love to experience hearing those songs live and up close.

Sounds like a pretty good setlist there-what's the "We Need A Prime Minister" thing all about? Glad you had a good time :).

Angela

Sounds like a pretty good setlist there-what's the "We Need A Prime Minister" thing all about? Glad you had a good time :).

That was a impromptu jam about the political situation in the Netherlands (we just had elections so now the political parties are trying to forge a new government and select new prime minister). Apparently, Neil had also performed it in Brussels the day before and someone shouted for it in Amsterdam.
:)

Ah, I see. Sounds funny-thanks for the information :).

The sing-a-long at the end of Fall Of Your Feet was spine tingling. Amazing!
Some video of it: Crowd sing Fall At Your Feet in Amsterdam | Crowded House[/B]

Ohhhhhhh...listening to that brought back memories of the sing-along to that song at the show I saw (which will have been 3 years ago this coming August-wow). That is indeed a spine-tingling moment. And meltworthy. And gushworthy. And all sorts of other goo-related worthies :p. Awesome, beautiful song, easily a highlight live.

I really love the way the crowd's singing in that clip ended. Almost ghostly and haunting (in a good way). Crowd sounded nice. And I love it when Neil goes off and comes up with random lines during the song, too.

As some guy said to me, "It should be forbidden for Neil to write so many great songs!"
:wink:

Haha, it should be, yeah, but I'm glad it's not. May he continue to be a good song hog.

Gah, now I want to go play some Crowded House music-will do that at some point tonight.

Angela

If I ever get to hear these songs at any future Crowded House shows I go to, I will be able to officially die a happy woman. Same with "Fingers Of Love" and "Into Temptation". I'd love to experience hearing those songs live and up close.
yeah, I'm very happy I got to hear those other 2 songs in Belfast 3 years ago

they really were even better this time around though

I just discovered Crowded House and I have to say I love Intriguer. Great, relaxing music.

This is the first I've heard of them. Is their other stuff better?
they've only just reunited in recent years, following the death of their original drummer a few years earlier. prior to that, they made many a good song, so don't be surprised if you've heard a few. imo, their other stuff is better, yes.

Back
Top Bottom