Critcs Best of 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Eh ....

Loved the music, did not care for the hook/melody. I didn't dislike it per se, but single of the year? Didn't live up to the yesterday's hype.

:(

popmatters gave Small Craft on a Milk Sea a 9/10... but it didn't crack their top 70.

As they stated about Have One On Me, it's a consensus vote, while the reviews are one person's opinion.

Oh, I misremembered not only that it was Pitchfork's top TRACKS of 2010, not singles, but also that it was in the top 10. D'oh.

In any case. The sentiment still stands. I got all excited when the music started, and then I slowly deflated as the singing started. Alas.

Has there been a more divisive album this year than Congratulations? I have seen it on a few different best-of and most disappointing lists.

Has there been a more divisive album this year than Congratulations? I have seen it on a few different best-of and most disappointing lists.

I like it. It's in my top 5 of the year so far. I kind of feel like MGMT would be better if there weren't any vocals. The instrumentation is the best part of what they do. I think they're at their best on their more ethereal, psychedelic, fantasy-sounding tracks, and sometimes I feel like the guy is singing over the music rather than with it.

But yeah, I like Congratulations.

It seems that way, doesn't it?

I would say Contra as well but apparently I'm the only one who hates it, if these lists are any indication.

Congratulations is terrible. Brian Eno in particular is horrendous. All I wanted was three singles to match Time to Pretend, Kids and Electric Feel.

Congratulations is terrible. Brian Eno in particular is horrendous. All I wanted was three singles to match Time to Pretend, Kids and Electric Feel.

I don't know how you can call it terrible. I just disagree. Strongly. I guess yuppie is right.

The fact that MGMT received any sort of press for an album as boring as Congratulations shows us that Kids was an even bigger deal than I could have imagined. They want to be Syd Barrett? Syd Barrett poured glasses of milk more radical than that shit.

The fact that MGMT received any sort of press for an album as boring as Congratulations shows us that Kids was an even bigger deal than I could have imagined.

I also fail to understand the hype for the album in the first place. It's not as though Oracular Spectacular was earth-shaking in any way. Both of their efforts are fairly innocuous, in my opinion at least. They have a few high points and some filler.

GirlsAloudFan said:
Out of context, this could be cause for a serious "Friggin Cobbler."

I would say it would call for a fuckin cobbler! Luckily I think the man is a genius.

Ruckman, I find the album boring, pretentious, overwrought, directionless, aimless and lacking in good songs. The final two minutes of the inexplicable Siberian Breaks is the only part of the album that interested me. That is why I call it terrible.

Last.fm has finished its top 40 and holy shit, nothing came close to touching #1 in play count, but it makes me wonder how exactly they get these results. I thought it was based on album playcount, but I have a hard time believing that album received THAT many plays.

I also fail to understand the hype for the album in the first place. It's not as though Oracular Spectacular was earth-shaking in any way. Both of their efforts are fairly innocuous, in my opinion at least. They have a few high points and some filler.

The problem I have with MGMT is that all of their music sounds like genre exercise, particularly Congratulations. Listen To The (Flower People) is 10 times more sincere than anything they've blown pot smoke on.

bono_212 said:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you had ridiculous expectations for this album.

Oh definitely. Not gonna change my opinion though. If I want to listen to that sort of music I'll listen to other albums where it's been done better. MGMT made three synth-pop masterpieces and I wanted more.

Back
Top Bottom