Critcs Best of 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ha, I did end up reading the whole thing. I actually like the band at number 1. That particular album would not land in my personal top twenty, but it is completely different from anything else that I have heard this year.

It's #9 on my list.

J/W what's your problem with it Dan? Honest question, just curious.

I don't love Contra, but I love their first album so much there was really nowhere to go but down with the follow-up.

I don't hate it, it's just all right.

For me, I despise the debut, not that I've ever heard it, I've tried, several times, can't do it. On the other hand, Contra had a polar opposite reaction. I wanted to hate it and I couldn't.

You haven't heard it but you despise it? Do you mean you've tried to get through it but what you've heard you've hated so much you couldn't make it through the whole thing?

You haven't heard it but you despise it? Do you mean you've tried to get through it but what you've heard you've hated so much you couldn't make it through the whole thing?

I've seen a few live performances by them, so I'm sure I've heard at least half of the album that way. The actual studio versions though, I've put on a few times, I'll get about 5 or 6 tracks in and either zone out, or I'll just kind of find something else to do without realizing it and pause the album while never returning.

Yeah, it leaked in like spring 2009, which explains why I've heard it so much more than other 2010 albums.

It's funny that the fucking clowns at Pitchfork named a song called Round & Round the best of 2010 when there was a song released this year, with the same title, that is better. Maybe they got confused.

YouTube - Selena Gomez & The Scene - Round & Round

Those little drum fills are dope, the bridge is hot, and the vocals are surprisingly nuanced for a girl who isn't even actually a very good singer.

Has anyone heard this Future Islands release? It's getting quite a bit of praise on certain lists.

It's #9 on my list.

J/W what's your problem with it Dan? Honest question, just curious.
Most of it really grated on me, especially the first half of the album. I moderately enjoyed two songs (Taxi Cab and Giving Up the Gun) and every other song either did nothing for me or outright annoyed me. I barely remember listening to it, for I think I immediately cleansed the palate with another album afterward (I think it was Warpaint).

i liked some songs on Contra as well but there were a lot of songs that annoyed the absolute fuck out of me, such as California English.

It's funny that the fucking clowns at Pitchfork named a song called Round & Round the best of 2010 when there was a song released this year, with the same title, that is better. Maybe they got confused.

YouTube - Selena Gomez & The Scene - Round & Round

Those little drum fills are dope, the bridge is hot, and the vocals are surprisingly nuanced for a girl who isn't even actually a very good singer.

:up:

Selena Gomez :drool:

Most of it really grated on me, especially the first half of the album. I moderately enjoyed two songs (Taxi Cab and Giving Up the Gun) and every other song either did nothing for me or outright annoyed me. I barely remember listening to it, for I think I immediately cleansed the palate with another album afterward (I think it was Warpaint).

Cool, I just was curious, sound reasoning.

I have not heard their first album. I have no idea if that would have influenced me at all in either direction.

I've actually been making notes to myself on each album I've listened to just to make sure I have justification when I praise or bash them. For occasions like this!

I have not heard their first album. I have no idea if that would have influenced me at all in either direction.

I've actually been making notes to myself on each album I've listened to just to make sure I have justification when I praise or bash them. For occasions like this!

You may dislike it equally (or more), but Vampire Weekend's S/T is significantly better than Contra, and I like the latter.

One listen won't kill you.

That's Tiny Mix Tapes in general. I like their site usually, as it offers a nice alternate take on the "indie" scene.

They also have a really annoying tendency to give artists a free pass for being "different," but again: at least they're covering this shit.

Back
Top Bottom