Critcs Best of 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, because you don't like something, but realize that a great deal many other people do, just because you don't like it you can't take a list seriously that would rate it highly?

I mean, it's fine to not like something, but the statement you're making is kind of off-putting.
he [now a she i'm learning?] said she can't support it which i think is a totally fair statement. i won't support any list that has Come Around Sundown on top.

They added Electronic and Metal albums today.

That metal list is one of the better ones I've seen for 2010, the baffling inclusion of Iron Maiden aside. I can totally get behind a list with Agalloch, Alcest, and Enslaved in the top four (haven't heard the Nachtmystium album).

Though it's a shame Drudkh and Deathspell Omega didn't make it. Well, some quarters have taken the Drudkh album very negatively (I just don't understand!), but the Deathspell Omega album is a very surprising omission.

he [now a she i'm learning?] said she can't support it which i think is a totally fair statement. i won't support any list that has Come Around Sundown on top.

Big difference, if you'd actually read what I'd written.

She was saying that while disregarding a list simply because an album you dislike is placed highly on it is silly, disregarding a list for placing an EXTREMELY well-accepted album highly is ludicrous. I mean, really, what list doesn't have Twisted Fantasy on it? And how many lists are you chopping out at that point? It's just impractical.

Anyway, I found this list interesting:

American Songwriter’s Top 50 Albums Of 2010 | American Songwriter

I've seen that Jamey Johnson record pop up all over the place - never heard of the guy until people started naming him as one of the best of the year. Must check that out.

It's really good. If it were a single album, it would be one of my favorites of the year. But, like Robyn's Body Talk comp, it's too much of a good thing.

Don't get me wrong; it'll place highly for me too. Just about every song is good (except We Dance To The Beat, which totally blows), it's just...I wish it weren't so comprehensive.

Yeah, We Dance To the Beat is the one song on all three that I don't like. I was kind of irritated that it made it to the final comp.

Yeah, We Dance To the Beat is the one song on all three that I don't like. I was kind of irritated that it made it to the final comp.

What I find really exciting is that 3 might be my favorite of the batch. I didn't care for 2, but it was still OK. 1 has all of my favorites, but the non-singles don't jump out at me much.

I was about to say, a list without High Violet is no list at all. I'm not saying it needs to be at the top, but it should be on every one.

actually, after hearing and reading my way through a bunch of lists from this thread and the dalton thread, i'm more and more convinced that it does need to be #1.

It seems as though critics forgot about the Gaslight Anthem's "American Slang." I know it's difficult to listen to every single album from the year, but they're easily one of the best rock bands going right now.

I've been most disappointed by the lack of Stars on any list I can recall having seen :(.

I thought that the Stars' album was pretty solid... It's one of the top 25 for me.

Is there anyone else out there other than me who questions why the Black Keys get so much love?

I don't question it because they sound similar to The White Stripes and the The White Stripes get that much love.

Though I question why The White Stripes get so much love :wink:

Like I was saying earlier. I don't question when such an obviously beloved album gets praise, but there are going to be times when I don't agree.

Icky Thump blows, and they haven't made an album as good as Brothers since 2003. Thankfully, the Stripes could whip up a new album over the weekend that's better, which is probably the most exciting thing about being a fan of theirs.

Back
Top Bottom