courtney barnett.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Good morning motherfuckers, one and all.

It is time I made a thread for one of my favourite current Aussie artists, Courtney Barnett.

00a91e37.jpg

Her debut album, Sometimes I Sit and Think, Sometimes I Just Think, is out March 23.

a0937482796_10.jpg

You can hear the first single from the album, the rollicking "Pedestrian at Best"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-nr1nNC3ds

I also reeeeeally hope that this song will be on the album because it is lovely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz06XZqOlmQ

She's been around a few years. She made her own label, Milk Records, through which she released her first two EPs, I've Got a Friend Called Emily Farris and How to Carve a Carrot into a Rose.

They produced some great songs, this one of which is my favourite and appeared on my DI list

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d_WdcDev9c

And this one which is no doubt her most popular song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcnIhzaDTd0

The two EPs were combined into a quasi-LP The Double LP: A Sea of Split Peas for ease of collection. It was subsequently given a 7.8 over on "hipster bible" Pitchforkmedia.com. I forced gump to buy it when we popped into Rough Trade.

She is fucking awesome. She is hilarious, her lyrics are very interesting and she absolutely shreds guitar.

Please get the fuck into her music.

Tracklist, stoked

01 Elevator Operator
02 Pedestrian at Best
03 An Illustration of Loneliness (Sleepless in NY)
04 Small Poppies
05 Depreston
06 Aqua Profunda!
07 Dead Fox
08 Nobody Really Cares if You Don't Go to the Party
09 Debbie Downer
10 Kim's Caravan
11 Boxing Day Blues

Got to listen to some more of her stuff, so this new album might be a good place to start.

Considering I know like two songs: Avant Gardener and Anonymous Club.

I've seen her live and enjoyed it, and remember when she worked at the Northcote Social Club, but that song she had in the Hottest 100 wasn't very good.

Pedestrian at Best given a BNM over at the 'fork. Good sign given it's not necessarily that great a tune - will definitely pay that the lyrics are terrific though. I'm almost as excited for the lyrics on this album as the music. She is darkly comical and describes generalised anxiety in such unique ways.

A Sea of Split Peas is excellent. Really excited that she's got a debut LP coming.

Fav tracks?

I forced gump to buy it when we popped into Rough Trade.

Very glad you did. That double EP found its way into my 2014 top-10. Don't Apply Compression Gently is probably my favorite track at this stage, I love her delivery there. Can't wait for the proper album.

The local music store had a copy of her double EP disc in stock, so I grabbed it.

It's snowing out and I've got the fire going. Sounds like a good time to lay back and give this a spin.

Hey cobbler, just got ticket to see her on May 20th. Should be fun.

I listened to the double EP two days and I loved it. It's all about the lyrics indeed and also the delivery.

I will never get sick of Avant Gardener for the exact reasons you describe. A song about having a panic attack wrapped up in hilariously mundane everyday tasks and delivered with seemingly after several strong hits of valium.

I will never get sick of Avant Gardener for the exact reasons you describe. A song about having a panic attack wrapped up in hilariously mundane everyday tasks and delivered with seemingly after several strong hits of valium.

Now, is it really about a panic attack? Or an anaphylactic shock? I seem to think the latter - there's nothing in particular that would trigger the panic attack there (not that there always is), and she seems to imply some form of allergic reaction (especially at the ambulance). I dunno.

Also really love the lyrics as well. It's a suitably mournful take on the modern housing market, creating the future at astronomical prices while tearing down the past without any respect.

Then I see the handrails in the shower
A collection of those cannisters for coffee, tea and flour
And a photo of a young man in a van in Vietnam
I can't think of floorboards anymore
Whether the front room faces south or north
And I wonder what she bought it for

Really gives that final refrain, if you've got a / spare half a million / you could knock it down / and start rebuilding, a heavier emotional weight than it ever had before for me.

I'm not quite on the Courtney Barnett Bandwagon (henceforth to be abbreviated as CBB), but I really love Depreston, and particularly for that refrain you quoted just there. In fact the Jays played it this morning.

What's bloody hilarious today is that like six or seven American music websites/blogs have written that the song is about moving to California hahahahahaha

I mean, really not surprising given Americans' famous insularity, but still very funny.

If she ever breaks down and adopts an American twang and changes a few place names, she could be bigger than Jesus on a bumper sticker.

Back
Top Bottom