courtney barnett.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kind of launched their tour a little too early...I didn't even know their was a collaborative album and the show they're playing here next week went on sale months ago...I mean, given that they're supporting what's basically a new band (Courtney + Kurt), you figure they would have booked the tour so people would actually have a few weeks or so to listen to this stuff.

I guess the shows might have them each doing solo stuff and then a set together or whatever, but it's still just kind of odd.

After hearing two songs from this collaborative album, I'm realizing the Kurt is a great complement for her because he covers up her biggest weakness IMO: writing choruses. These songs have a smoother flow than anything I have heard from her, except maybe Depreston.

To me they seem like they were imported from other song ideas or something. Pedestrian at Best and Dead Fox are examples. The trite lyrics in both of those don't help, either.

To me they seem like they were imported from other song ideas or something. Pedestrian at Best and Dead Fox are examples. The trite lyrics in both of those don't help, either.
I'll just say I disagree strongly. The chorus of Pedestrian at Best obviously fits in with the rest of the song and I have no idea what you think is different about it. And for Dead Fox, I assumed because of the general theme of societal guilt about the overuse of automobiles that it was a reference to tractor trailers that have "If you can't see me, I can't see you" signs on the back that ask you to follow at a distance so you appear in their mirrors.

Moreover, the choruses are catchy and sound good. So I really just don't get any of what you are saying.

So people, Tell Me How You Really Feel about the new album.

I miss some of the quirkiness of the Double EP and her first album, both of which I think are better than the new one. There is no highlight like Depreston, Elevator Operator or Nobody Really Cares... But I think she managed to capture some of her live performance better, at least in some songs, particularly her heavier sound in Hopefulessness and in Lance Mom's rebel song, I'm Not Your Mother, I'm Not Your Bitch. The times I saw her live, I had felt a disconnect between the performance and the poppy sound of her albums. This will not be the case for the new one, I think.

I like it, but don't love it yet.

Last edited:
I think it's more about her trying a different approach to her songwriting than anything else. Some good stuff on it, but I think it's setting herself up to do more interesting things down the line.

Don’t love this, sadly. It doesn’t have enough of what I love about her - more contemplative tracks - to balance out the punchier guitar songs, all of which are heavier and darker on this record.

Hopefulessness and Sunday Roast are both really really great, and I really like Walkin on Eggshells too - the opening line is her at her absolute best.

Yeah, I’ve listened to the album a couple of times and don’t really have a desire to go back. There’s some good songs there but it’s just not connecting with me for the most part.

I’m seeing her in July. Maybe hearing these songs live will improve my take on them.

Back
Top Bottom