courtney barnett.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Having spent a bit more time with this thing now I do quite like it. It's patchy, sure, but there's a lot of refreshing goodness that makes it easy for me to overlook the less stellar moments.

Ironically I think

Elevator Operator
An Illustration of Loneliness (I'm Thinkin of U2)
Depreston
Dead Fox
Debbie Downer
Kim's Caravan

would have made for a killer EP. They're the best songs imo. Small Poppies probably doesn't earn its seven-minute runtime, Pedestrian at Best maybe best as a stand-alone single, Aqua Profunda and Nobody Cares if You Don't Go to the Party are both fun but relatively inessential, while Boxing Day Blues and the hidden track are both nice but probably in the same category. I don't think there's any bad songs though.

Hey all, thought I'd offer my two cents worth on Courtney Barnett.

I can definitely hear a Paul Kelly influence in some of her songs (most notably Depreston), and even Dan Kelly, which I think is awesome. For mine, her best songs (between EP and album) are Anonymous Club, Pickles from the jar, History Eraser, Depreston and Kim's Caravan.

Yeah the Paul Kelly influence is definitely there. She just did three shows here which I missed due to money woes but hoping to see her later in the year.

I've listened to the whole album since my last remark in the Straya thread, and I still think Kim's Caravan marks an interesting departure. There's a real scope and darkness to that track that goes well beyond her usual stuff.

She was awesome last night. Her live sound is much rougher than on the album, almost garage-band like. This was a good surprise. Songs like Kim's Caravan, Nobody Really Cares If You Don't Go to the Party and Pedestrian at Best really took off. I was happy to hear my favorite songs too - Avant Gardener, An Illustration of Loneliness and Depreston. Great show (only downside: I'm fucking tired this morning, as she started almost at 11pm on a Wednesday night).

This is borderline stalkish, but could be pretty cool:

Contours

Barnett will be the first artist they follow.

Just saw her on Conan and really loved the performance. First I'd ever heard or seen of her. Cool Lou Reedish speak/singy verses and a catchy chorus with a great little backing vocal hook from the bassist. Just a refreshing sound, really. Also, this was the first full episode of Conan I've watched in a long time and he's still got it.

I'm down.

Now we've got that percolator...never made a latte greater.

Props for finding a way to get the word "percolator" into a lyric.

Yeah, I loved that. They managed to express her quirkiness quite well on video.

Really? Seems like a pretty natural fit to me. I think they've also toured together before, or at least played the same festivals.

Lotta Sea Lice out Oct 13.

CBKV_LoRes_LottaSeaLice.jpg

Over Everything
Let It Go
Fear Is Like a Forest
Outta the Woodwork (Courtney Barnett cover)
Continental Breakfast
On Script
Blue Cheese
Peepin’ Tom (Kurt Vile cover)
Untogether

This song is tremendous and has me hella excited.

Back
Top Bottom