courtney barnett.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hahaha fuck I am loving American music sites. They just gave Depreston BNM which is awesome but then they wrote this which makes it seem like Preston is some Detroit neighbourhood.

"Depreston is Barnett's somber tale of house-hunting in the suburbs of Melbourne, a depressing neighborhood with few cafés and visible crime, heavy with an emptiness"

It's actually quite a nice, middle-class suburb with a crime rate lower than that of several other Melbourne municipalities (although it isn't exactly low).

I've been a fan for awhile I guess and bought the Double EP on Vinyl from Milk. Good lord were the shipping costs insane to send that to the States.

I just heard the new track and that's enough to make the LP worth the preorder given that I also loved "Pedestrian at Best". Orange vinyl with the tote bag was tempting, but that was $25 not including shipping/taxes...went with the standard edition on Amazon Prime for $0.62 thanks to rewards points. :up:

It's actual name is Preston or something. I, like about 80% of Australians, don't live in Melbourne or whatever. Hard to believe, but true.

Yeah, the suburb is called Preston. What Courtney Barnett has done is put 'de' in front of Preston, so it sounds like 'Depression', but maintains the suburb's name in the title. It's a pun, a play on words, I think it's really quite brilliant.

Was hoping to get the white LP version... $40 so not horrendously expensive. until you factor in the $16 shipping from a factory 10 minutes from my house.

streaming streaming streaming streaming streaming streaming streaming streaming streaming streaming streaming streaming streaming streaming

Pedestrian at Best got played today on KROQ. It was a nice breath of fresh air on their otherwise horrible play list.

Really disappointed by this album. I don't know what I expected. Her lyrics are incessantly clever and her sound is pretty well set in stone. Despite that... nothing grabs me. The opening track is jaunty and enjoyable, I like Pedestrian At Best a rocky single and Depreston is the stand out. Outside of that however (three of the first five tracks) it just doesn't go anywhere. It's too one-noted.

Like I say - I don't know what I expected. This is her sound and her shtick. I just kinda hoped I'd like more. Instead, it feels like another extended EP of sketches. Slacker rock indeed.

I liked the songs I've heard so far, and her lyrics are fantastic. I even made an effort of looking them up word for word on the lyrics site, which I don't normally do. I don't know yet if I can take her vocal style in album-sized doses, though.

Pedestrian At Best is the standout for me which is funny as I didn't like it that much when I first heard it.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but I think the album is a bit Depreston.

Depreston, An Illustration of Loneliness and Nobody Really Cares... are my favorite. Depreston is really a wonderful song.

Kim's Caravan is a cracker. As is Depreston.

She really reminds me of the female Darren Hanlon, though with a bit more band music behind her. A witty, smart, funny lyricist who writes surprisingly good songs despite what may at first glance seem a bit of a novelty.

The Darren Hanlon comparison doesn't make me feel happy thoughts. But I've heard enough of her songs now that I can sort of see the logic.

No love for Kim's Caravan? I like pretty much everything but I'd say that and Depreston are the best songs for mine.

It's a really good song, and a great ending, but it hasn't clicked with me the way those other songs have. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the album, but I think the double EP is a bit stronger.

Back
Top Bottom