Country music that's actually listenable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the whole country-pop thing isn't that bad. It is tiresome over a whole album but Carrie Underwood, Tim McGraw, Keith Urban, Brad Paisley, Chris Cagle :)drool:) etc etc all have some great singles.

Let's not discount Dolly.

Also Barenaked Ladies 'For You' is an awesome bluegrassy/country track. :applaud:

It was a joke. :wave:

BTW, I probably saw The Jayhawks about four times between the Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow the Green Grass albums, and one of my fondest concertgoing memories was seeing them at Milwaukeefest, where I heard Blue for the first time.

In my defense, I was nearly in a food coma when I responded. :shifty:

Are you talking about Summerfest? I miss Milwaukee and Summerfest. I saw Lyle Lovett there a couple of times.

If it was a big music festival next to Lake Michigan with the high heat of summer beating off the black pavement, and people were walking around eating fried cheese curds and ears of corn dripping melted butter down their arms, then yes, that was Summerfest. ;)

Tigga-Tigga Taylor

Tizzy Wizzy Swizzy

Tay Tay

THE TAY!

THE SWIZZ!

The illest, most realest 12 string guitar playin', heartbreakin', long leg swangin', love song sangin', blonde head bangin', sweetie pie songstress.

America's greatest living songwriter. (Next to Dylan)

19 years old, heart of 24 karat gold.

T.A.S.

Fearless.

Ahhh, I know. I's just havin a little fun.

I'll be checkin out some of those YouTube clips y'all posted later. Johnny Cash is a very obvious answer but, yes, he is awesome. I particularly enjoy when he infuses some of that dry humor into his songs. There are a good handful of J-Cash songs that actually make me laugh out load. It's that voice.

Also, the line between country and country-rock and alt. country and all those other silly genre labels can become quite blurry.

How about artistic/poetic country like Whiskeytown/Ryan Adams alt-country stuff, The Jayhawks, Allison Krauss, the country-side of Wilco. I'll take that, the word country is almost pejorative to fans or music composition or songwriting, but some people prove that it doesn't have to be.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Garth Brooks. Most non-country fans can name at least one song of his that they like. I have his box set, and while there's some shite on there, there's a lot of solid stuff too.

I also listen to John Anderson, whose voice is pure country. Check out "Straight Tequila Night," "Seminole Wind," or "Bend It 'Til It Breaks" if you're so inclined.

And another endorsement for Whiskeytown. If you like Ryan Adams, then there are definitely some Whiskeytown songs you don't want to miss. "Losering," "Sit and Listen to the Rain," "Not Home Anymore," and "Turn Around" are my favorites.

I always lumped Garth Brooks into that mainstream radio country stuff that's not really my thing .... but I will admit to liking The Thunder Rolls and will inevitably sing along at the top of my lungs if someone sings Friends in Low Places when I'm at a bar doing karaoke.

There are two Miley songs that I would express a fondness for.

But even if she adopts a countryish sound for a song or two, she really doesn't belong in this thread. Like, really.

But even if she adopts a countryish sound for a song or two, she really doesn't belong in this thread. Like, really.

I spent all weekend running from the cops, thought if I hung out on Interference on Sunday I wouldn't have to run into anymore police officers. I guess I was wrong.

Hey, it was just a citizen's arrest for throwing Miley Cyrus in a country music thread.

You redeemed yourself with Hank Williams, though. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom