Conor Oberst & the Mystic Valley Band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joyfulgirl

Blue Crack Addict
I've always been annoyed by his whiny voice, but I'm going out on a limb tonight and driving nearly 2 hours, past Taos, to see him at what I'm guessing will be a tiny K-Taos Solar Center, just because it's a very weird place for someone like him to play, and also a very cool place (I guess - I've never been there - but to say it's off the beaten path is an understatement.) KTAOS is the largest solar-operated radio station in the country so I'm guessing Oberst is making a statement by making the trek up there. I'm guessing there might be at least 50 people there? The only other time I've ever gone to Taos to see a show was Daniel Lanois about 5 years ago. They have a solar music festival in the summer but never anyone I'm interested in seeing. Otherwise, not a lot of interesting music up that way which makes this all the more bizarre and interesting.

So, I'm looking forward to it. Anybody heard the record?

It's just okay. The first track is the best of the bunch. Really doesn't measure up to the Bright Eyes stuff.

I don't have any Bright Eyes records (though quite a few random songs) so it will all be new to me. I liked what I heard on the Mystic Valley Band website but I was just casually listening to it in the background.

Ok. I will never make fun of Conor Oberst again.

That show was awesome. And he is scarily Dylanesque in his awesomeness.

And also quite charming and likable and funny and totally cool.

This dude releases so much stuff that it's almost hard to keep up. Bright Eyes-wise, I only have 'Lifted' and 'I'm Wide Awake'. Both are great, I absolutely love Lifted. I also have The Desaparecidos album, which is also fantastic (though I haven't listened to it in years). I don't think I even knew he had something new out! Glad it was enjoyable though.

As a side thought, I may buy the Bright Eyes Christmas album this year (I've told myself I should get it for the last 3 or 4 years...)

This dude releases so much stuff that it's almost hard to keep up. Bright Eyes-wise, I only have 'Lifted' and 'I'm Wide Awake'. Both are great, I absolutely love Lifted. I also have The Desaparecidos album, which is also fantastic (though I haven't listened to it in years). I don't think I even knew he had something new out! Glad it was enjoyable though.

As a side thought, I may buy the Bright Eyes Christmas album this year (I've told myself I should get it for the last 3 or 4 years...)

Cassadaga is worth checking out, too. That album was absolutely stellar live.

Cassadega Nights? Is that Spanish for a fighting chicken?

Shake n' bake!

cassadaga_bright_eyes_500.jpg

Cassadaga is worth checking out, too. That album was absolutely stellar live.

I looked for this today at two stores and couldn't find it. I have heard two killer songs from it - Make a Plan to Love Me which alone would be worth the price of the CD, and the also excellent Four Winds.

Oberst, by the way, said that the reason they ended up in Taos was because he took a river trip last summer and met some cool people from Taos and they said he should play there. It was a really great audience - certainly not your typical Conor Oberst audience. With the exception of the hardcore people right up against the stage, I think most of the people were like, "Hey, honey, let's go down to the Solar Center and have a beer - I think they have a band tonight" so there were couples two-stepping and stuff. It was a real bar-band kind of night with lots of stomping and shouting and background bar noise but it was great fun.

I achieved a long-held goal of perfectly timing my arrival 5 minutes before the headliner walked onstage, thereby missing the opening band, walking right up front and grabbing a chair on the side which I stood on. Unfortunately, I forgot my earplugs and was right in front of a speaker so I had to stick my fingers in my ears the whole show thereby mastering the fingers-in-the-ear-dancing-on-top-of-a-chair jig.

Here's a clip with not great audio but it's the only one up so far:
YouTube - Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band - Slowly

I looked for this today at two stores and couldn't find it. I have heard two killer songs from it - Make a Plan to Love Me which alone would be worth the price of the CD, and the also excellent Four Winds

I'd chalk "Hot Knives" and "Cleanse Song" onto the keeper's list, too, but yeah, try and nab it if you can find it.

You guys aren't even talking about "Lime Tree," clearly the best track on the record.

I listened to Conor Oberst again today. The songs just aren't there.

You guys aren't even talking about "Lime Tree," clearly the best track on the record.

That's because I haven't heard it.

The new songs sounded great live Friday night but may not in fact rate up there with his other stuff.

I meant YLB and the pomo. But I guess the latter hasn't heard it either.

So I guess that just means YLB is on the hook for not choosing the best songs on albums.

I meant YLB and the pomo. But I guess the latter hasn't heard it either.

So I guess that just means YLB is on the hook for not choosing the best songs on albums.

To be fair, I haven't listened to Cassadaga all the way through in a while. The fact still remains, however, that I need to... change.

barack-obama-official-small.jpg

I listened to Conor Oberst again today. The songs just aren't there.

You're being way too lenient, if you ask me. Dude's still never released a good record, after all these years. A few better-than-spectacular songs and a whole mess of mediocre-at-best albums is all we'll ever remember him by, if we remember him at all.

I somewhat agree with that. I don't think there's a weak track on Wide Awake and Lifted suffers from only a few clunkers. Everything else though has been spotty. As great as sections of Fevers & Mirrors, Digital Ash, and even Cassadaga, you're always going to encounter a few songs with the guy that make you want to pull your hair out.

You're being way too lenient, if you ask me. Dude's still never released a good record, after all these years. A few better-than-spectacular songs and a whole mess of mediocre-at-best albums is all we'll ever remember him by, if we remember him at all.

I think Lifted is absolutely fantastic, but his other albums I've heard can be spotty. Lifted is wonderful though.

awww, I loved this record and felt it had a more organic and thorough sound that Cassadaga, which had a couple songs I really love but as a whole it didn't do anything for me. I hate to be cliche but I'm Wide Awake is by far his masterpiece (for now, i hope), that album just doesn't get old for me, it is perfect from start to end. Oberst is an amazing songwriter and I hope he continues to grow as a writer and continue to make (better) albums in the future.

Back
Top Bottom