Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I went up to Hartford yesterday to catch the show, there were 15-20 others on the 12:30AM bus back to NYC last night so I didn't feel so crazy going for the evening, although I was really bushed when I got in the door at home at 3:30AM!

It was good...they electro'd God Put A Smile Upon Your Face, which oddly worked... Politik rocked as always, also. I had no problems with the setlist, and I liked how they spread the new stuff among the old throughout the show instead of frontloading it all as many do. They still have a few kinks to work out as far as the transitions between songs, and they seemed a little tentative on a couple of the new ones but I'm sure that will work itself out in time, also you can really tell how much studio magic they did on Chris' vocals on the first part of 42 (I really like that song) because he was reeeaaally thin there...

The setlist:

1. (Life in Technicolor)
2. Violet Hill
3. Clocks
4. In My Place
5. Viva La Vida
6. Yes
7. 42
8. Fix You
9. Strawberry Swing
10. Chinese Sleep Chant
11. God Put a Smile Upon Your Face
12. Square One
13. Hardest Part
14. Yellow
15. Lost!
16. The Scientist
17. Death Will Never Conquer
Encore
18. Politik
19. Lovers in Japan
20. Death and All His Friends

Also, I took a couple of videos...enjoy!

Strawberry Swing:

YouTube - Coldplay - Strawberry Swing, Hartford August 2, 2008

42:

YouTube - Coldplay - 42, Hartford August 2, 2008

I love how for all their talk about how they think X&Y sucks, they continue to play "Fix You" and "The Hardest Part."

I love how for all their talk about how they think X&Y sucks, they continue to play "Fix You" and "The Hardest Part."

The fans there were chomping at the bit for "Fix You", and probably would've rioted if they didn't play it...I've always been meh on it...go figure.

Something is wrong when they're only playing one song from Parachutes. Something is very wrong when that song is "Yellow." They've got a large enough back catalog filled with some absolutely stellar b-sides and other rarities to shake it up more. But they've become too big for that, I guess.

Coldplay would work much better as a mid-level band.

Saw them in DC for the first time. Wow - that show went by fast. They were on and off in about 90 minutes. Entertaining show, but I didn't find them to be a great live band.

Saw them in DC for the first time. Wow - that show went by fast. They were on and off in about 90 minutes. Entertaining show, but I didn't find them to be a great live band.

I was just going to comment about that too...while I'm not nitpicking their song choices, I will call them out on their set length, it was about 90 mins. in Hartford too. They really should be playing 1hr. 50 - 2 hour sets by now, no excuses.

was there too.. just got home. yeah show went fast. I said it before.. they could totally do a longer show and mix up their setlists better.. They have definitely a big enough catalogue.. seriously guys give us some other stuff, trouble, amsterdam, spies and sparks..

it was a full house tonite, looked sold out to me.. every seat that i could see was taken even the nose bleed up in the rafters.

The fans there were chomping at the bit for "Fix You"

:yikes:

Coldplay ignoring Parachutes is just as poor of a decision as U2 ignoring Unforgettable Fire. But I'm sure being compared to U2 for any reason would lessen the blow for them.

All copies of X&Y should be thrown into a vault and locked away forever, if that's even possible.

"The Hardest Part", "Talk", and "'Til Kingdom Come" can stay.

"The Hardest Part", "Talk", and "'Til Kingdom Come" can stay.

*shudders*

Horrible Coldplay songs.......they should be lokced away too.

Regardless, I'm going to see them in December. Should be a good one. Anything X and Y related I'll just have to endure through.

"The Hardest Part" is a bit of a cheat, since I love the video so much. I honestly don't know how that was conceived, filmed, and shown to a wide audience... it's not witty or clever, but it never fails to crack me up. I just don't know.

*shudders*

Horrible Coldplay songs.......they should be lokced away too.

Regardless, I'm going to see them in December. Should be a good one. Anything X and Y related I'll just have to endure through.

You're a horrible Coldplay song!

I like Talk, but it probably is mainly the "borrowed" riff. I don't really even mind X&Y all that much, it's better than a lot of crapola. I kind of think of it as someone doing a better job at being U2 than U2 did with Atomic Bomb. :wink:

When you look at the setlists on their own they seem pretty stale but when you are there live even overused or lame songs like Fix You or In My Place or Clocks are enjoyable.

This is what I've been saying about U2 for years. Even though we complain about the static on here, when you're actually at the concerts, Pride, Streets, SBS, etc are all fantastic, because everyone knows them.

What If,,,

:drool:

So what you mean to say is you don't WANT to like them, but you do...which is dumb because they are talented, maybe a little dopey and often try really hard for attention, but they do make some nice music.

Shawn Johnson.....she's got a bloke's name. Looks a bit young.....:huh:

just looked her up on Wiki....she's only 16.....careful boys.....

Did Carly Patterson retire, she was cool....?

Songs Coldplay should play: Don't Panic, Shiver, Yellow, Politik, God Put A Smile..., Clocks, A Rush of Blood..., Talk, and the whole new album.

So what you mean to say is you don't WANT to like them, but you do...which is dumb because they are talented, maybe a little dopey and often try really hard for attention, but they do make some nice music.

Well honey you don't know me then, im pretty blonde and i'd say dumb sometimes!
Like no i just don't like Chris Martin, seems very fake to me..:shrug:
Some of there songs are cool, i do find them as a u2 knock off tho.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom