Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But CMart's antics are equally embarrassing; don't forget that. )

I reckon C-Mart has an awesome stage presence. Nothin' wrong with it, suits the songs, and if thats what he wants to do good on 'him, the height of authenticity, acting how you wanna act, whatever makes ye comfortable.

I don't feel embarassed watching him.

I reckon C-Mart has an awesome stage presence. Nothin' wrong with it, suits the songs, and if thats what he wants to do good on 'him, the height of authenticity, acting how you wanna act, whatever makes ye comfortable.

I don't feel embarassed watching him.

Good for you. Do you feel embarrassed watching Bow-no?

Maybe I'm just bored, or maybe I have the window opened too much and the fumes from passing vehicles are impairing my judgement...but, I have to ask: How can anyone be embarrassed by anything they don't have an emotional attachment to?

I think the greater issue here is not CMart's ridiculous hand gestures (Bono is as guilty of this as anyone) but, rather, the fact that I've never heard him top his album vocal of a given song in a live setting, ever. Bono consistently does it, and used to do it every night during the tour for his band's fourth album.

Rob, if you want to bash Martin, your argument should be that he simply isn't as good of a vocalist as Bono. I'd back you up on that all day.

oh haha...yeah I've addressed that topic several times at length already

I don't think anyone would question that.......well, actually....maybe :giggle:

Number 1, I've seen Chris Martin not only on Youtube, but live—twice. I was fairly close enough to observe Martin's on-stage act and I can assure you they were both excellent shows.

Number 2, it's quite obvious from this board that one doesn't have to be a non-U2 fan to find some of Bono's moves on stage embarrassing, not to say annoying. There were a few cringe-worthy moments for me when I saw U23D. But then, I saw U2 live numerous times, so I'm able to put his on-stage persona into context.

And a Coldplay fan would probably say the same thing you say: That Martin is attempting to connect with the audience through his moves, however frustratingly clumsy or annoying they seem to you.

Finally, you never really addressed my point, which was that it's not really fair to criticize someone's on-stage antics based on random video clips when you've never seen the entire show—in person.

Look...people criticize Bono all the time without seeing the show entire show- IN PERSON....If someone watches 10 performances on youtube all from the same Coldplay/U2 show, and find the frontman's on stage antics annoying or embarrassing...so what? I think that's enough to make a judgment and say whether or not you find his on stage antics annoying....It's like if you watched U23D....and found 10 performances throughout the show where Bono was doing stupid annoying things on stage and distracting you from the music....that's fine! I'm not going to tell you that it's unfair of you to make that judgment...If you're watching a U2 DVD, for example, and Bono's doing something incredibly stupid during each song for half the show, and you tell me how annoying you find it, I'm not going to say "hey, you can't do that, you haven't watched the entire show, and you weren't there in person!" - I might quesiton you, and ask how or what exactly is annoying about it, but everyone is entitled to an opinion...if you feel Bono's on stage behavior is annoying, then fine....I don't see what the big deal is. :shrug:

Maybe I'm just bored, or maybe I have the window opened too much and the fumes from passing vehicles are impairing my judgement...but, I have to ask: How can anyone be embarrassed by anything they don't have an emotional attachment to?

Umm....embarrassment is an emotional response, therefore, yes, I believe you do have to have an emotional attachment....But, that's the thing, I think it's realistic to say that many people do have an emotional attachment to Bono, hence the potential for embarrassment! :shrug:

If CMart could sing live, I would agree. He has more shake in his voice than Stevie Nicks after 5 hours of standing out in the snow.

picturefh7.jpg

Plus, this is the most uncool thing I've ever seen, arguably.

Ok, to get back to this original post:

Mel, have you seen them live before? Chris is notoriously bad for some reason on live TV but is way better in concert. He might be (gasp!) human and have a bit of stage fright when it comes to TV audiences, I don't know but the same thing happened when I saw them perform Clocks at the Grammys a couple of years ago - he sounded awful but when I saw them live he was spot on, same goes for the 2003 Live DVD - he sounded much better.

Don't judge them by their TV appearances alone...

And for those complaining about them ripping off the ZooTv uniforms, get a grip. How do you think Beatles fans feel?:

BeatlesPepper.jpg

I don't think hand gestures are a Bono trademark. Honestly, he doesn't make that many. He directs with his left hand on occasion. But that An Cat Dubh performance from Chicago is the most handsy performance he ever gave.

Bono's trademark tends to be walking around everywhere a particular gig setup will allow him to.

Haha, I was playing the Smiths while coming into this thread, how I adore their music but I've never been able to stand Morrissey, he's so obnoxious.

Bono's trademark tends to be walking around everywhere a particular gig setup will allow him to.

He doesn't do that much anymore, but certainly in the early days I could see that as something of a trademark, though I'm sure singers had done had for many years before. Don't forget; the ONLY thing that constitutes a trademark is originality. :rolleyes:

Elfa, I have seen a number of live videos from real concerts, and his voice still isn't as good as it is on the album. Better than in the Lost performance, but not by much. A particularly strong example would be Talk from Toronto '06, the show that was supposed to be released as a DVD.

Were you pissed when they decided not to release it? :lol: I would be.

Clocks was good at that show. Really good.

Hella-pissed! The whole show was amazing, I saw them 3 times that tour - the very first show of the whole tour - which sounded good and then the two shows when they came back to film the DVD which were both amazing.

Listened to this album a couple of times yesterday on a loop. Loved the Death/Escapist/Life in Technicolor transition! :heart: I really think this is their most perfect album! whether it's the excellent percussion on songs like ...London and Lost! or the beautiful atmospherics throughout! :bow: Eno :bow:

Haha, I was playing the Smiths while coming into this thread, how I adore their music but I've never been able to stand Morrissey, he's so obnoxious.

He's a pretentious jackknob, along with people like Sting and Kate Bush.

Listened to this album a couple of times yesterday on a loop. Loved the Death/Escapist/Life in Technicolor transition! :heart: I really think this is their most perfect album! whether it's the excellent percussion on songs like ...London and Lost! or the beautiful atmospherics throughout! :bow: Eno :bow:

My friend found a mix at Coldplaying that links The Escapist / Life in Technicolor together. I'll have to find it and share it with you guys... well, the ones I like.

Life in Technicolor -> Cemeteries of London is a rough transition though. I've warmed up to the latter track though.

About stage movements, in the end, it's always going to be hard for Chrissy because he's directly compared his music and work to other bands, giving everyone excuses to compare him, too. When it comes to stage movements, it's not like Bono hasn't sat down one day and looked at tapes of Jim Morrison or other famous acts to think of something to do. It's hard being a lead singer on a stage when it's just you singing, everyone's got an instrument to hide behind but you, you know? You feel it's your job to energize the crowd right up. I'm not a fan of what Chrissy does on stage ('05 Grammys, ftl), but then again, Bono's can rub me the wrong way, too (Half of the Vertigo DVD and U23D). It all goes back to personal preference and whether or not you're intelligent enough to realize people may disagree with you on something subjective. Holy shit, Batman.

I agree about the transition. It would have worked better if Life In Technicolor went on for a bit longer and had a fadeout instead of a sudden ending.

Oh definitely. It stops as soon as it hits its peak, which, deliberate or not, is frustrating.

An Cat Dubh performance from Chicago is the most handsy performance he ever gave.

You know how people always say that they read something online and they just about spit whatever beverage they were drinking out? I literally just did. I was reading this statement, got to the word "handsy," and nearly had coffee coming out my nose. :up: Something about that word in this context cracked my shit up. (And, I agree, btw.)

Clocks was good at that show. Really good.

It was. They play that version on Toronto radio fairly frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom