Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lmao: He does look like a skinnier Springsteen there!

I always imagine an 11-year-old, bespectacled Chrissy sitting in the bleachers in gym class, writing lyrics down in his little notepad wondering why the girls never talk to him. That notepad would go on to inspire about 10 of Coldplay's future songs.

I always imagine an 11-year-old, bespectacled Chrissy sitting in the bleachers in gym class, writing lyrics down in his little notepad wondering why the girls never talk to him. That notepad would go on to inspire about 10 of Coldplay's future songs.

And he's married to a gorgeous woman so I don't think he had trouble there either.

Oh and great video, but man does someone need to burn that jacket...or probably more correctly the boatload of copies of that jacket he's got for all this promotion.

They're really not that bad; I don't understand all the hate. If the music sounds good to me, then it's a good song. :shrug:

Though I did read review of this album and at the end the reviewer said "Coldplay will never grow hairs on their chest" and I had a bit of a ripsnort.

I think sometimes even the U2 comparisons are a stretch. This forum has a tendency to reeeeeeally over analyse and nitpick sometimes.

This sums up all my thoughts on Coldplay. Thank you, COBL.

I think Martin's on stage antics come off as very unnatural...whereas Bono, no matter how annoying he can be, it still boils down to breaking down barriers between U2 and the audience, or more specifically, the audience and the song...I mean Chris Martin just sort of bounces around like an idiot in every single song....maybe I haven't watched enough live Coldplay video....but it sure seems like this is the case. :giggle:

I think Martin's on stage antics come off as very unnatural...whereas Bono, no matter how annoying he can be, it still boils down to breaking down barriers between U2 and the audience, or more specifically, the audience and the song...I mean Chris Martin just sort of bounces around like an idiot in every single song....maybe I haven't watched enough live Coldplay video....but it sure seems like this is the case. :giggle:

Have you seen Coldplay live? Not on Youtube, or on vid, or on TV, but live?

:lol:

No, I haven't seen Coldplay live....I don't plan on it.....I've watched a decent amount of live video though.

And if people would call Bono's on-stage antics "annoying" (there are many, many of these people out there, as I'm sure you're aware) based solely on watching a "decent amount of live video" what would you tell them? You'd probably tell these people that to really appreciate Bono in a live setting you actually have to see him live. It would probably bother you that people find Bono "annoying" just by watching video.

And if people would call Bono's on-stage antics "annoying" (there are many, many of these people out there, as I'm sure you're aware) based solely on watching a "decent amount of live video" what would you tell them? You'd probably tell these people that to really appreciate Bono in a live setting you actually have to see him live. It would probably bother you that people find Bono "annoying" just by watching video.

hey...you probably see more footage of Chris Martin and his stage antics on youtube videos than you would at the actual show....

I mean I can understand people who find Bono's stage antics annoying...Especially coming from someone who isn't a U2 fan....but I would just tell them what I already said- that Bono may come off as silly or annoying but the focus of his stage antics comes down to "breaking down barriers" - it always has, and I'm sure this won't change :)

hey...you probably see more footage of Chris Martin and his stage antics on youtube videos than you would at the actual show....

I mean I can understand people who find Bono's stage antics annoying...Especially coming from someone who isn't a U2 fan....but I would just tell them what I already said- that Bono may come off as silly or annoying but the focus of his stage antics comes down to "breaking down barriers" - it always has, and I'm sure this won't change :)

Number 1, I've seen Chris Martin not only on Youtube, but live—twice. I was fairly close enough to observe Martin's on-stage act and I can assure you they were both excellent shows.

Number 2, it's quite obvious from this board that one doesn't have to be a non-U2 fan to find some of Bono's moves on stage embarrassing, not to say annoying. There were a few cringe-worthy moments for me when I saw U23D. But then, I saw U2 live numerous times, so I'm able to put his on-stage persona into context.

And a Coldplay fan would probably say the same thing you say: That Martin is attempting to connect with the audience through his moves, however frustratingly clumsy or annoying they seem to you.

Finally, you never really addressed my point, which was that it's not really fair to criticize someone's on-stage antics based on random video clips when you've never seen the entire show—in person.

Number 1, I've seen Chris Martin not only on Youtube, but live—twice. I was fairly close enough to observe Martin's on-stage act and I can assure you they were both excellent shows.

Number 2, it's quite obvious from this board that one doesn't have to be a non-U2 fan to find some of Bono's moves on stage embarrassing, not to say annoying. There were a few cringe-worthy moments for me when I saw U23D. But then, I saw U2 live numerous times, so I'm able to put his on-stage persona into context.

And a Coldplay fan would probably say the same thing you say: That Martin is attempting to connect with the audience through his moves, however frustratingly clumsy or annoying they seem to you.

Finally, you never really addressed my point, which was that it's not really fair to criticize someone's on-stage antics based on random video clips when you've never seen the entire show—in person.

:up: wtg BoMac.

I think the greater issue here is not CMart's ridiculous hand gestures (Bono is as guilty of this as anyone) but, rather, the fact that I've never heard him top his album vocal of a given song in a live setting, ever. Bono consistently does it, and used to do it every night during the tour for his band's fourth album.

Rob, if you want to bash Martin, your argument should be that he simply isn't as good of a vocalist as Bono. I'd back you up on that all day.

And he's married to a gorgeous woman so I don't think he had trouble there either.

At least I wasn't kidding around or anything.

Oh God, Bono was in another world of obnoxious during "An Cat Dubh;" I literally had to cover my eyes during that part of the DVD out of embarrassment.

Someone needs to tell him that imitating birds and cats on-stage isn't exactly a turn-on. Then I see C-Mart of C-Play doing a similar thing. Antics aside, I'm still not too interested in seeing them live, all things considering.

Champ is gonna have such bad back problemd later in his career if he continues to play like that.

I think Martin's on stage antics come off as very unnatural... whereas Bono, no matter how annoying he can be, it still boils down to breaking down barriers between U2 and the audience, or more specifically, the audience and the song...I mean Chris Martin just sort of bounces around like an idiot in every single song....maybe I haven't watched enough live Coldplay video....but it sure seems like this is the case. :giggle:

what a load of crap :|

what a load of crap :|

Haha that's what it sounds like! A bunch of BS and making up excuses to defend Bono's incredibly embarrassing antics! A Coldplay fan on a Coldplay board would probably defend the "jumping around like an idiot" comment too.

in this video of An Cat Dubh on the Vertigo Tour...at the very end, Adam shakes Edge's hand....not a big deal, I just found it very peculiar...anyone have an answer?

I think you're onto something here... :hmm::hmm::hmm:

Haha that's what it sounds like! A bunch of BS and making up excuses to defend Bono's incredibly embarrassing antics! A Coldplay fan on a Coldplay board would probably defend the "jumping around like an idiot" comment too.

But CMart's antics are equally embarrassing; don't forget that. You live by the Bono, you die by the Bono.

The problem with Chrissy is that he's too obtuse to correctly channel his hero. Bono had to think up those moves himself, finding flags to wave around and making his own mistakes, occasionally hitting paydirt. Rather than copying the moves, Martin should be copying the method Bono took and find his own (occasionally embarrassing) road.

(Hint: hand gestures are Bono's road. Avoid those if at all possible, partially because they've become a Bono trademark, and partially because you should only embarrass yourself occasionally.)

But CMart's antics are equally embarrassing; don't forget that. You live by the Bono, you die by the Bono.

The problem with Chrissy is that he's too obtuse to correctly channel his hero. Bono had to think up those moves himself, finding flags to wave around and making his own mistakes, occasionally hitting paydirt. Rather than copying the moves, Martin should be copying the method Bono took and find his own (occasionally embarrassing) road.

(Hint: hand gestures are Bono's road. Avoid those if at all possible, partially because they've become a Bono trademark, and partially because you should only embarrass yourself occasionally.)

:|:|:|:|:|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom