Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Keane because I like the guy's voice, and I think their songs have beautiful melodies. I like the first record more than the second, but I have to admit I haven't listened to the second one nearly enough to say that with a lot of certainty. But I'm comfortable in saying that I do like it.

I'm looking forward to hearing what they come out with next.

i'm just popping in there to say that i really love the new coldplay album and i can't wait to see them on july 15. i really don't understand the bashing that goes on here with coldplay and chris m. in particular. too bad we can't have a nice discussion on the album tracks here. that's what coldplaying.com is for, i guess.

I like Keane because I like the guy's voice, and I think their songs have beautiful melodies. I like the first record more than the second, but I have to admit I haven't listened to the second one nearly enough to say that with a lot of certainty. But I'm comfortable in saying that I do like it.

I'm looking forward to hearing what they come out with next.

Keane is the new David Cook!!!

It's not your fault.

It's not your fault.

It's not your fault.

:breakthrough:

:closure:

18608844.jpg

Nice.

Tell me about it!!! I've wondered this a lot lately! Case in point: BigMacphisto's list of top albums for the decade. lol.

You haven't heard enough music to come to those conclusions, Zoots. :|

:tsk: I listen to way more albums than all you people put together! I listen to music in my sleep. I was listening to music piped in to my mother's womb.

I have a wireless set of headphones implanted into my brain stem. Top that, bitch.

I enjoy a bit of Keane and Travis, although they both fall into the category of the bands I can't be bothered to keep up with apart from the one album that I've got. I really like Fran Healy's voice though; on some of their early songs it's got the kind of aggressive edge (well, -relatively- aggressive of course, we're not talking Metallica or anything) that I wish Chris Martin had in him.

That's incredibly different to saying something like "OMG COLDPLAY RIPPED OFF U2! OMG! THE CHORD PROGRESSIONS ON LIFE IN TECHNICOLOR ARE THE SAME AS STREETS!" ala Rob33.

Jesus, you people are boring! Why do you put so much energy into something you hate?

alright I've been gone the past 2 and a half days and I'm just skimming through some of this thread...it really took off....anyway, I just have to address this, because GibsonGirl keeps making this misunderstanding over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again....and then she does it again.....and again.............................................................and then one more time...

GibsonGirl....I didn't directly compare chord progressions, etc. in "Life In Technicolor" to the chord progressions, etc. in Streets...You are the one that went so far as to tab out the chord progressions for some reason...I was a bit shocked at the time, but you obviously misunderstood me. I simply brought up exactly what some of the reviewers are apparently saying. I said don't think for one second that Coldplay/Chris Martin was not thinking Streets from the beginning to start start off the album...In that same post of mine, I mentioned how some of the chord progressions in Coldplay's songs remind me much of U2's...and are VERRRY close ala "Lover's In Japan/Reign of Love" around the 4 minute mark...that chord progression...that fucking melody, that OUTRO...I garauntee you when they broke the song down and started with an outro, that stupid piece of shit Chris Martin was thinking WOWY...you could even argue they even use that melody in the same way U2 did for WOWY in terms of song structure...it's so blatent!!

Anyway, back to the point- GibsonGirl...Are you even reading my posts when I tell you that you misunderstood my original post about "Life..." and Streets? I keep telling you this yet you keep going back to this chord progression thing you tabbed out and how what I said was wrong. Again, I wasn't comparing chord progressions etc. in "Life..." to Streets....it's like you wanted an excuse to show us all your beautiful chord progression diagrams or something...:eyebrow:

:lol:

alright I've been gone the past 2 and a half days and I'm just skimming through some of this thread...it really took off....anyway, I just have to address this, because GibsonGirl keeps making this misunderstanding over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again....and then she does it again.....and again.............................................................and then one more time...

GibsonGirl....I didn't directly compare chord progressions, etc. in "Life In Technicolor" to the chord progressions, etc. in Streets...You are the one that went so far as to tab out the chord progressions for some reason...I was a bit shocked at the time, but you obviously misunderstood me. I simply brought up exactly what some of the reviewers are apparently saying. I said don't think for one second that Coldplay/Chris Martin was not thinking Streets from the beginning to start start off the album...In that same post of mine, I mentioned how some of the chord progressions in Coldplay's songs remind me much of U2's...and are VERRRY close ala "Lover's In Japan/Reign of Love" around the 4 minute mark...that chord progression...that fucking melody, that OUTRO...I garauntee you when they broke the song down and started with an outro, that stupid piece of shit Chris Martin was thinking WOWY...you could even argue they even use that melody in the same way U2 did for WOWY in terms of song structure...it's so blatent!!

Anyway, back to the point- GibsonGirl...Are you even reading my posts when I tell you that you misunderstood my original post about "Life..." and Streets? I keep telling you this yet you keep going back to this chord progression thing you tabbed out and how what I said was wrong. Again, I wasn't comparing chord progressions etc. in "Life..." to Streets....it's like you wanted an excuse to show us all your beautiful chord progression diagrams or something...:eyebrow:

:lol:

I think she's just showing the differences in chord progressions between the songs to prove that they lack the similarities you think they have. It's like using statistics to back up any type of argument, but hey, that's just what I think.

Why I keep returning to this black hole of a thread, I'll never know.

I think she's just showing the differences in chord progressions between the songs to prove that they lack the similarities you think they have. It's like using statistics to back up any type of argument, but hey, that's just what I think.

Why I keep returning to this black hole of a thread, I'll never know.

but see, that's exactly what I'm saying....I don't think they have the similarities that she was trying to prove through her evidence. If I was arguing over the topic of her evidence, I would understand, but I wasn't. This is no big deal...but she keeps bringing me and that comparison up and it is incorrect....anyway, enough....this thread is tiring...

but see, that's exactly what I'm saying....I don't think they have the similarities that she was trying to prove through her evidence. If I was arguing over the topic of her evidence, I would understand, but I wasn't. This is no big deal...but she keeps bringing me and that comparison up and it is incorrect....anyway, enough....this thread is tiring...

I agree music is very subjective...but you can't argue with some things in music. Sure there is such a thing as different interpretations, but how can you say that "Life In Technicolor" isn't a rip of Streets/COBL?!?! Chord progressions, song structure, etc. cannot be argued based on interpretation...it is what it is...

Uh...no. Did you even bother to pick up an instrument before writing that? Aside from the fade-in, "Life In Technicolor" and "Where The Streets Have No Name" have virtually nothing in common. They're not even in the same key!

Let's compare intros, shall we? LIT fades in to a synthesiser riff. I have tabbed it out for guitar and included the notes below it:

Code:

e|-12------------------9-----------11-------|
b|-------12---10---------9-----12-----------|
g|----13----------11------------------------|
d|------------------------------------------|
a|------------------------------------------|
E|------------------------------------------|
E G# B A F# C# G# B D#

That repeats a couple of times. Now, some people might argue that this is very similar to Streets, which also features a fade in, some synth, and a repetitive riff. Alas...U2 did not invent this musical idea. It has been around for quite some time. Check out some 70s prog bands, you'll have a blast! Anyway, here is the riff (guitar, not synthesiser) that is repeated in Streets:

Code:

e|-10-----------------------|
b|----10-------------10-----|
g|-------12-11-12p11--------|
d|--------------------------|
a|--------------------------|
E|--------------------------|

D A G F# G F# A

LIT also features a second riff in its intro before it builds up into the full band section of the song. It goes something like this:

Code:

e|-----------0----------2-2-0-----|
b|---0---2----------0---------0---|
g|-2---2---2---2--2---2-----------|
d|--------------------------------|
a|--------------------------------|
E|--------------------------------|

e|-----------0----------4-4-0-----|
b|---0---2----------0-------------|
g|-2---2---2---2--2---2-----------|
d|--------------------------------|
a|--------------------------------|
E|--------------------------------|

Well, gosh, there's nothing like that in Streets!

Moving on to chord progressions...LIT is written in the key of A. An acoustic guitar starts playing during the second riff. The basic progression followed is this:

A D A
A D A
F#m D A
E A

The chords then change (during the vocal bit) to this progression:

F#m D C#m
F#m D C#m
F#m D A
E

The song then ends on A.

Streets, on the other hand, is written in the key of D. Four chords are played during each verse and chorus of the song:

D G Bm A

And that's it. Streets ends by going back into the intro riff - something that doesn't happen in LIT. There is also no change in progression midway through the song, like there is in LIT.

In summation: different song structures + different keys + different chord progressions = different songs. I don't know how you came up with the idea that LIT was a rip-off of Streets. I haven't compared the song to COBL, but I can guarantee you that I would reach the same conclusion if I did. You're basically grasping at straws here.

I'm sorry, you were saying?

If "Life in Technicolor" sounds like anything, it's late '70s-era Bowie, who worked with, you guessed it, Brian Eno. Hardly rocket science.

I don't think you should even give him the satisfaction of a reply to this, GG.

Oh, but I will. :drool: This is what Rob said in the original thread:

I agree music is very subjective...but you can't argue with some things in music. Sure there is such a thing as different interpretations, but how can you say that "Life In Technicolor" isn't a rip of Streets/COBL?!?! Chord progressions, song structure, etc. cannot be argued based on interpretation...it is what it is...

U2 Feedback - View Single Post - Im Sorry If This Is In The Wrong Thread But ColdPlay Wants To Be U2

:scratch:

You need to learn to express yourself better, Rob. What else are we to assume you were trying to say? From that post, you are indeed implying that LIT is a rip-off of Streets or COBL, and that this is based on chord progression and song structure. "It is what it is."

True, you did clarify what you "actually" meant at a later point - but only after I had completely disproved your implication that the song was a direct musical rip-off.

EDIT: Heh, the little bastard got there before I did. :hug:

Oh, but I will. :drool: This is what Rob said in the original thread:

:scratch:

You need to learn to express yourself better, Rob. What else are we to assume you were trying to say? From that post, you are indeed implying that LIT is a rip-off of Streets or COBL, and that this is based on chord progression and song structure. "It is what it is."

True, you did clarify what you "actually" meant at a later point - but only after I had completely disproved your implication that the song was a direct musical rip-off.

EDIT: Heh, the little bastard got there before I did. :hug:

But GG, all you are doing is showing off your pretty chord progressions. No one's impressed.

"(Speed Of) Life in Technicolor" is the best song off of Viva la Vida Loca.

I've not heard Viva La Vida yet, by the way. I find it amazing that I can fully participate in this thread without that and sound knowledgable, but it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom