Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: You are very misguided if you believe Bono is a better lyricist than the ones I have listed. Besides you have a very limited view of the musical landscape.

Sting is a brilliant lyricist and you are crazy if you don't realize that.

You don't know a whole lot of artists and are just now starting to get introduced to better musicians and lyricists. That's all I am saying.

That was my laugh of the day. Thank you.

Actually, one thing about lyrics.

You cannot expect someone to write unique insights into a personal struggle if they don't actually have a personal struggle. To write this way would be highly inauthentic, unless you are trying to write from someone else's perspective.

Take Ed Kowalczyk from Live for example. His lyrics on TC, SS and TDTH were often very cryptic and deeply personal, there was certainly nothing universally appealing or understandable about them, and they were for the most part immensely interesting.

And then Ed got married, had kids and was just overwhelmingly in love with life and was very Christian, as evident in his lyrics from BOP and the ghastly SFBM album. These were now the things that most affected his life, not the twisted social observations of TC or SS.

The lyrics are a bore to me, but still highly authentic and earnest because that is where his lyrical viewpoint is coming from these days, an immensely happy man living an immensely happy life.

Live's commercial succes came on the back on the darker lyrical themes of their first 4 albums, as opposed to the more happy-go-lucky, god-is-great, life-is-lovely, more universally appealing feel-good stuff from Live's more recent albums.

And we, as mere listeners as opposed to associates of the lyricists dont really understand the authenticity in a lyric. You know maybe Thom Yorke is talking absolute garbage in Nude, we're not to know.

Speaking of Nude, does anybody else hear inspiration from Nude on 42? Up to the point till the beat kicks in.

Go ahead and mock me. I can take it.

NEVER. Her majesty can listen to whatever she wishes.

And I don't even know Keane.

Why are you acting like an idiot?

Excuse me?

You obviously haven't been paying attention to what Lemonade Stand has been calling "the flirtiest repartee since Addison and Hayes"*.

* Lemon MacPhisto, The Interference Review, May 2008

NEVER. Her majesty can listen to whatever she wishes.

And I don't even know Keane.

Excuse me?

You obviously haven't been paying attention to what Lemonade Stand has been calling "the flirtiest repartee since Addison and Hayes"*.

* Lemon MacPhisto, The Interference Review, May 2008

I cannot believe I made a Moonlighting reference in here either. But isn't it June, Laz? Has all of the commotion gotten to ya?

I was so worked up I posted in Dream Out Loud for the first time in like 3 years.

But now I'm going to see Peter Hook of New Order & Joy Division spin at some club in Manhattan.

Check y'all later.

Try not to kill each other while I'm gone, or burn me in digital effigy.

Sting is a friggin lyrical savant, guys:

Lady Dolphin and her dolphin beau
Were swimming out to sea one day
All the other lady dolphins smiled
But they were smiling in that subtle dolphin way

So they pretended that they'd pay it no mind
But she was female, of the jealous kind
She couldn't stand it not to ask him why
She could see that he was flattered by the twinkle in his eye

But seriously, if Bono wrote shit like that, we'd all take turns kicking his ass.

I was so worked up I posted in Dream Out Loud for the first time in like 3 years.

But now I'm going to see Peter Hook of New Order & Joy Division spin at some club in Manhattan.

Check y'all later.

Try not to kill each other while I'm gone, or burn me in digital effigy.

Hope you enjoy it, good sir.

You'll burn quicker than Nicolas Cage in The Wicker Man:

YouTube - Best Scenes From "The Wicker Man"

I think "Digital Effigy" would be a great name for a song. Or an album.

*walks off, humming "Moonlighting" theme. some walk by niiiiiiiiiight ..... some flyyyy by daaaaaay ....

I left this thread open because I know this is a hot discussion and right now it is the place to discuss Coldplay, but some of these posts are a little bit out of hand. Can we please refrain from name calling and personal attacks.

Lazarus please see your pm's/email.

um, i backtracked and really looked at this thread, and if i had to make sense of things (and not to get too personal), it reads like a certain someone (or two or three) had been molested by chris martin or something.

...is there anything anyone needs to say? look, this is a safe place; no one is going to judge you. :hug:

The Man Who is a remarkable album. Spawned a huge single called Why Does It Always Rain On Me, as well as three other amazing hits....check it out.....Kind of folk-rock-ish

Or rather, like Coldplay but without a piano. :)

That's a great song BTW (Why Does It Always Rain On Me).

um, i backtracked and really looked at this thread, and if i had to make sense of things (and not to get too personal), it reads like a certain someone (or two or three) had been molested by chris martin or something.

...is there anything anyone needs to say? look, this is a safe place; no one is going to judge you. :hug:

It's not your fault.

It's not your fault.

It's not your fault.

:breakthrough:

:closure:

18608844.jpg

wow, you guys really went on a bender...

I hope you had the decency to pay for breakfast in the morning.

Btw Zoots, what exactly is so special about Keane again? I have Hopes And Fears and I can't say it does much for me... I think Fran from Travis has a nicer voice.

Btw Zoots, what exactly is so special about Keane again? I have Hopes And Fears and I can't say it does much for me... I think Fran from Travis has a nicer voice.

Haven't really listened to Travis so I'll have to give them a try but... what's so special about Keane??? They create such lush pop rock melodies, something that is very unique in the musical climate of this decade. It stands out to me as something old fashioned... everyone has that indie/post rock/experimental sound but these guys just belt it out and sing loud and proud... I don't know if I'm describing this well but they just click for me... songs like Bedshaped, Everybody's Changing, Untitled 1, Hamburg Song, Nothing In My Way etc. have the most gorgeous melodies I have ever heard.. not just this decade but ever! Hopes And Fears is easily in my Top 5 if not Top 3 for this decade. I don't give a shit if people think they're plain vanilla or that Tom's face looks like melted butter or whatever... I can't argue with my ears!

If you're all about the indie, I guess you won't like them. :lol: They're unashamedly mainstream pop-rock and yet I find them refreshing. :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom