Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't Stand So Close to Me: Rhyming cough with some Russian guy's name?

It's Na-boh-kov. Um, Sting, it's not cool to change people's names to suit your rhymes.

And that doesn't even take into account that Police classic De Doo Doo Doo-whatever. Yeah, Sting is one of the worst examples to hold up in comparison. He's had more than his share of clunkers.

ETA -

That's a brilliant rhyme.

Uh, no, it's not. It's just plain wrong.

Except Panic in Detroit isn't as well known as Streets, U2 didn't hire Mick Ronson or some glam figure to produce the song, and it was for a soundtrack, not for the lead track on an album that's supposed to usher in a new era of development.

Oh, right then. It's okay if people wrongfully accuse Coldplay of copying a U2 chord progression, but it's not okay if people wrongfully accuse U2 of copying a David Bowie riff. Glad we cleared that up. :up:

:lol: You are very misguided if you believe Bono is a better lyricist than the ones I have listed. Besides you have a very limited view of the musical landscape.

Sting is a brilliant lyricist and you are crazy if you don't realize that.

I'll give you Waters and Gabriel; both are known for their lyrics and conceptual contributions more than anything else.

$ting is a former teacher and certainly has a good grasp of the English language, but he's often extremely pretentious. While Bono may not have the as big a thesaurus, he's often able to cut to the heart (no pun intended) of something with a very simple and insightful metaphor.

I'd put Bono's best lines up there with anything by Marathon Man. I've never seen anything from $ting along the lines of Lemon, for example.

Yes and no. It's all down to opinions now. I'm not a big fan of The Wall, structurally or lyrically.

It's an opinion whether or not it's autobiographical and personal? I'm not a big fan of the album either, just the writing.

Oh, right then. It's okay if people wrongfully accuse Coldplay of copying a U2 chord progression, but it's not okay if people wrongfully accuse U2 of copying a David Bowie riff. Glad we cleared that up. :up:

Only ONE person mentioned a similarity there. Did ANYONE agree?

Neither do I.

Those aren't really "names", to be fair.

I'll give you Waters and Gabriel; both are known for their lyrics and conceptual contributions more than anything else.

$ting is a former teacher and certainly has a good grasp of the English language, but he's often extremely pretentious. While Bono may not have the as big a thesaurus, he's often able to cut to the heart (no pun intended) of something with a very simple and insightful metaphor.

I'd put Bono's best lines up there with anything by Marathon Man. I've never seen anything from $ting along the lines of Lemon, for example.

How is Sting pretenious lyrically? Fragile, Be Still My Beating Heart, The Lazarus Heart and They Dance Alone are all better than anything Bono did post Rattle & Hum. By the way those are all from a single album.

This wins the award for "Best Thread of the Day"

My favorite moment was when, for about half a page, the topic of Gilmore Girls was raised.

GILMORE GIRLS. The WB dramedy starring Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel...was discussed in a Coldplay thread on a U2 forum. Gilmore Girls!!!

Seriously.

How cool is that?

Lyrics are paramount for me, or at least a huge part of the equation. Atmospherics, piano, melody...it's obvious that Coldplay are relying on those elements, but there's a growth on this album that goes a bit beyond that. If they want to continue to evolve, they'll obviously have to continue the lyrical progression.

Only ONE person mentioned a similarity there. Did ANYONE agree?

No, he did not mention a "similarity." I believe he said "stole the riff," which is the same as saying that LIT and Streets have the same progression. If you believe that Coldplay borrowed the chords from Streets, you are wrong. Simple as that.

No, he did not mention a "similarity." I believe he said "stole the riff," which is the same as saying that LIT and Streets have the same progression. If you believe that Coldplay borrowed the chords from Streets, you are wrong. Simple as that.

I mean I feel they are similar. I just said they stole the riff because they sound exactly alike. I am not a musician so yeah I was wrong. Just to throw that out there.

How is Sting pretenious lyrically? Fragile, Be Still My Beating Heart, The Lazarus Heart and They Dance Alone are all better than anything Bono did post Rattle & Hum. By the way those are all from a single album.

His material just seems a bit stuffy and scholarly at times. It's a bit much. As for one of your examples:

"I sink like a stone that's been thrown in the ocean
My logic has drowned in a sea of emotion
Stop before you start
Be still my beating heart

Restore my broken dreams
Shattered like a falling glass
I'm not ready to be broken just yet
A lesson once learned is so hard to forget"

Umm...no.

The Lazarus don't Heart $ting.

You don't know a whole lot of artists and are just now starting to get introduced to better musicians and lyricists. That's all I am saying.

Didn't the Three Musketeers help introduce you to Bowie? And Springsteen, for that matter?

Leave Pfan to his opinion. It may not be as "informed" as yours, but it's still valid.

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Since we are talking about The Wall I have to say my favorite line ever is by Bono. "He said he was an artist but he really painted billboards." Walk To The Water.

But I absolutely love Roger Water's line from Goodbye Blue Sky that goes "Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky." :drool: I don't know if it is possible not to love that line.

I mean I feel they are similar. I just said they stole the riff because they sound exactly alike. I am not a musician so yeah I was wrong. Just to throw that out there.

Fair enough. :up: I'd suggest, though, that using loaded phrases like "stole the riff" and "rip-off" are inappropriate when talking about music, unless it is crystal clear that the same notes or chords are being used.

Here is a true rip-off: YouTube - Red Hot Chili Peppers Controversy

But I absolutely love Roger Water's line from Goodbye Blue Sky that goes "Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky." :drool: I don't know if it is possible not to love that line.

The delivery there is amazing too!

Didn't the Three Musketeers help introduce you to Bowie? And Springsteen, for that matter?

Leave Pfan to his opinion. It may not be as "informed" as yours, but it's still valid.

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Not Bowie. Phanan introduced me to Born To Run and I listened to another of his albums.

I'm not questioning Pfan's opinion. I'm just saying he has a lot to see and hear in terms of music and lyrics. If he thinks Bono is such an amazing lyricist than he is going to get a little surprise.

Not Bowie. Phanan introduced me to Born To Run and I listened to another of his albums.

I'm not questioning Pfan's opinion. I'm just saying he has a lot to see and hear in terms of music and lyrics. If he thinks Bono is such an amazing lyricist than he is going to get a little surprise.

How about this. Am I lacking in musical knowledge/experience because I generally find Bono's lyrics more appealing than Tori Amos'? Because I do. She's fine if you examine the lyrics 60 times to find out what the hell she's talking about, but Bono's best work is just so much more moving to me.

Speaking of which, I will concede that Chris Martin is a better lyricist than Anthony Kiedis.

Come on! :wink:

I got stopped by a lady cop in mah automobiiiiiiile
She said get out and spread your legs
And then she tried to cop a feel!

That's pure poetry, that is!

Speaking of which, I will concede that Chris Martin is a better lyricist than Anthony Kiedis.

:lol:

RHCP is all about the bass and guitar! :rockon:

Btw guys, listening to Rush of Blood right now and there aren't many songs released this decade that are prettier than God Put A Smile..., The Scientist and Warning Sign. :heart:

Fair enough. :up: I'd suggest, though, that using loaded phrases like "stole the riff" and "rip-off" are inappropriate when talking about music, unless it is crystal clear that the same notes or chords are being used.

Here is a true rip-off: YouTube - Red Hot Chili Peppers Controversy

You are right of course. I need to choose my words more wisely. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom