Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What the fuck has Chris Martin done that even comes close to matching that in his first 8 years? Furthermore, what has Chris Martin done that even matches a modern classic like Beautiful Day, a song supposedly written after Bono's peak as a lyricist? Come on. He's not that good. Don't compare the two.

Agreed! Boy thru R&H is good enough to be a band's entire discography IMO!

And let's face it, guys... Coldplay's strength is in melodies, not lyrics!

:dance:

lazarus, why do you insist on posting so many reviews for ammunition? Unlike you, GG never relies on the words of others to validate her opinions.

Because she seems to think the multitudes of people who found LIT reminiscent of Streets are crazy, and I was attempting to show that members of the mainstream media didn't agree with her.

I gots plenty of mah own werds.

We share the same biology regardless of idiology
And what will save us me and you
I hope the Russians love their children too

:drool:

Because she seems to think the multitudes of people who found LIT reminiscent of Streets are crazy, and I was attempting to show that members of the mainstream media didn't agree with her.

I gots plenty of mah own werds.

Uh, no. :huh:

I got frustrated with Rob (once!) because he implied that Streets and LIT shared the same chord progression. And then I got frustrated with someone else who said that I was right, but that I should be able to recognise an "Edge-chord"! I disagreed with two people on purely musical terms. When did I ever use the term "crazy"? Stop twisting my words.

I just listened to Panic In Detroit and HMTMKMKM.

Having played both riffs myself on guitar, I know for a fact that they're not the same. Similar-ish. Kind of. Maybe. Bowie's riff is slower and involves fewer chord changes.

He isn't in the same ballpark as Kate Bush, Roger Waters, Sting, Tori Amos, Peter Gabriel and the list goes on and on.

The only person I see on there comparable to Bono is Waters. And I prefer Bono's lyrics to Waters' lyrics. Waters' lyrics are too impersonal in most PF albums, IMO.

The Sting comparison is laughable at best.

I feel like I'm exceeding my carbon footprint by adding anything else, but here goes! This album is like a sandwich from a store I was never really fond of before. Only this time, they’ve added a few new things to finally make a sandwich that's worth eating. There are ingredients that are found in other things I like: A bit of Arcade Fire meat, Bunnymen mustard, early U2 atmospheric sesame seeds. The overall impression is that it's tasty, and that it's at least a sincere, heartfelt effort to create something good. I appreciate that. The sandwich maker will probably never have his/her own cooking show, or crack the Sandwich Hall of Fame. We both know this, but it's okay.

Liking said sandwich, and the way it goes down, is a personal choice.

If you stand in front of the sandwich display, and mumble about why you don’t like the one I just bought, I’ll probably think that you need some help. :happy:

That is an extremely fitting analogy. Unfortunately, I think it's falling on deaf ears...er, dead tastebuds. Oh well. I'm enjoying that sandwich right now. :wink: It's not the best sandwich I've ever had, not even by a long shot, but it's certainly not the worst.

Because it's power chords? False.

Panic in Detroit is Bm-G-A.

HMTMKMKM is E-D-B-G.

Panic in Detroit's melody is totally different. PID's drums are totally different.

Pwned.

HMTMKMKM is in E, while Panic is in B.

HMTMKMKM is faster, and Panic is slower.

Because it's power chords? False.

Panic in Detroit is Bm-G-A.

HMTMKMKM is E-D-B-G.

Panic in Detroit's melody is totally different. PID's drums are totally different.

There you go.

Now you know why I felt the need to counter the claim that Streets and LIT used the same chord progression.

That is an extremely fitting analogy. Unfortunately, I think it's falling on deaf ears...er, dead tastebuds. Oh well. I'm enjoying that sandwich right now. :wink: It's not the best sandwich I've ever had, not even by a long shot, but it's certainly not the worst.

You're eating my sandwich? :angry:

The only person I see on there comparable to Bono is Waters. And I prefer Bono's lyrics to Waters' lyrics. Waters' lyrics are too impersonal in most PF albums, IMO.

:lol: You are very misguided if you believe Bono is a better lyricist than the ones I have listed. Besides you have a very limited view of the musical landscape.

Sting is a brilliant lyricist and you are crazy if you don't realize that.

Aren't The Wall and The Final Cut very autobiographical?

There you go.

Now you know why I felt the need to counter the claim that Streets and LIT used the same chord progression.

Except Panic in Detroit isn't as well known as Streets, U2 didn't hire Mick Ronson or some glam figure to produce the song, and it was for a soundtrack, not for the lead track on an album that's supposed to usher in a new era of development.

I'm familiar with The Police AND Sting's solo work. Sting's a very inconsistent lyricist.

I find it hilarious that you've resorted to namecalling, Screwy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom