Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Screwtape, exactly how many colored band-aids do you have on your fingers?

FOR REELZ.

cmartin.jpg

logo_tool_chest.gif

Fine, don't answer the question. Or do you like U2 despite Bono's writing over the years? I don't get what you're trying to prove.

I was being sarcastic because of how you use Bono against Chris Martin.

I admire what Bono went through as much as the next person, and those life experiences have had a deep impact on his music. Music that I love.

So Chris Martin didn't go through the same thing. That makes him and his music less significant? Bullshit. Music comes at us in different ways through different stories. Just because not everyone goes through what Bono did, or because they get married to a wife who just happens to be a famous actress, doesn't make them any less of a person, or their music.

And I didn't make disparaging comments about New England, just New York City. Perhaps you missed the part where I said I lived in Boston for 5 years?

Oh no, I didn't miss it.

I lived in Boston for 5 years, and I know they have an inferiority complex as well.

The proof is in the pudding! If he's got demons, it's certainly not present in the tone of the music or the lyrics.

So he's a whitebread musician who only SEEMS bland on the surface, whereas in reality he's tormented, but doesn't put it into his work.

Interesting theory.

I never said that he actually has demons. I mean that he COULD have, even though he's married to a movie star, privileged etc...

The proof is in the pudding! If he's got demons, it's certainly not present in the tone of the music or the lyrics.

So he's a whitebread musician who only SEEMS bland on the surface, whereas in reality he's tormented, but doesn't put it into his work.

Interesting theory.

So songs like Politik with its tragic tone aren't a sign that there is a man with demons like the rest of us down there? :scratch:

So songs like Politik with its tragic tone aren't a sign that there is a man with demons like the rest of us down there? :scratch:

I think that song's great due more to the music than the lyrics/delivery, as is the case with most of their material, but that's just me. One of their better songs though.

Thank you. :)

Yeah, but if you try and ignore that and take it as it is, it's a fairly good album. I still enjoy it.

Yeah, maybe it'll take a few more listens to get past that, but for now, all I can do is play the "who the hell does that sound like?" game. One of your later posts mentions taking bits and pieces from various sources, and I agree, that for parts of a song, it'll sound like one influence, and then in the next part, the switch to another, and so on. I agree with all the influences you listed, and in addition, the other day I also heard a snippet that reminded me of Genesis. It's distracting me from enjoying the songs on their own merits.

I also agree that overall, I like (note: not love) Coldplay, they're decent. They just need to find their own groove, which, IMO, they were closest to with ROBTTH.

When the frontman of a band publicly states that they tried to make this album their 'Unforgettable Fire', you can't blame anyone here for saying Coldplay lacks originality.

Yeah, maybe it'll take a few more listens to get past that, but for now, all I can do is play the "who the hell does that sound like?" game. One of your later posts mentions taking bits and pieces from various sources, and I agree, that for parts of a song, it'll sound like one influence, and then in the next part, the switch to another, and so on. I agree with all the influences you listed, and in addition, the other day I also heard a snippet that reminded me of Genesis. It's distracting me from enjoying the songs on their own merits.

I also agree that overall, I like (note: not love) Coldplay, they're decent. They just need to find their own groove, which, IMO, they were closest to with ROBTTH.

Yeah, when they can do that, they can be something truly special, in my opinion of course.

Rush of Blood has turned out to be my favorite album of theirs, after loving Parachutes for a longer time, but how many melancholic albums full of 5-minute semi-rock anthems can you do? A great album, but lightning in a bottle at this point, it seems.

When the frontman of a band publicly states that they tried to make this album their 'Unforgettable Fire', you can't blame anyone here for saying Coldplay lacks originality.

Oh, I'll be the first to admit that he makes some stupid comments. Doesn't mean the music sucks more because of it. The first two Oasis albums are classics, but we could certainly dig up all of their comments when they mouthed off about The Beatles. Doesn't make me like the music any less.

I wonder if some of us would feel the way we do about Coldplay if all of the press, negative or positive, would be so readily available for us? I mean, there are countless reviews out there that say that Coldplay is derivative from U2, Radiohead etc.

But there are so many bands out there, that don't nearly get the same level of press that Coldplay does, that I listen to and enjoy, but think to myself: "Where have I heard this before? This song sounds like something else I've heard." There are so many out there, but because C-Play :)wink: ) is in the public eye I think it's different for them.

:lol: Oh well, I tried. But yeah, unlike Beav, I don't think Coldplay is a record label creation. Just a well-intentioned band who occasionally writes a terrible song that sells far better than it should (I don't care for In My Place either). The Coldplay formula works, but I don't think they're trying to exploit it.

From what I've read about their start, you're quite correct. When Coldplay were signed to their label, the label figured they'd sell about 50,000 copies of their debut and that the band would grow slowly but steadily with their next few albums. I mean, mid-tempo piano songs weren't the big thing in 1999/2000.
Instead, Coldplay sold about 5 million copies of Parachutes worldwide.

And now there are several bands around heavily influenced by Coldplay (Keane and what's that other band that earlier this year made a virtual Coldplay sound-a-like single? I believe they were called Melee or something like that).

Oh, I'll be the first to admit that he makes some stupid comments. Doesn't mean the music sucks more because of it. The first two Oasis albums are classics, but we could certainly dig up all of their comments when they mouthed off about The Beatles. Doesn't make me like the music any less.

Yeah just look at Bono's silly comments about the last two U2 albums. It isn't like they were bad albums. Uh...nevermind.

Can I just say that background aside, I just don't find Chris Martin interesting? Or do I have to have a bigger reason than lack of lyrical talent and lack of vocal talent to join this discussion? :wink:

Screwy: Clarification for you. Laz is not saying that if it was up to him, Chrissy wouldn't have the right to express himself. He's saying that if it was up to him, Chrissy wouldn't be successful.

I wonder if some of us would feel the way we do about Coldplay if all of the press, negative or positive, would be so readily available for us? I mean, there are countless reviews out there that say that Coldplay is derivative from U2, Radiohead etc.

But there are so many bands out there, that don't nearly get the same level of press that Coldplay does, that I listen to and enjoy, but think to myself: "Where have I heard this before? This song sounds like something else I've heard." There are so many out there, but because C-Play :)wink: ) is in the public eye I think it's different for them.

Oh most definitely, then Rob would truly be a source of information about C-Play, short for CrackingPlay.

And your posting this on a U2 board? A band whose frontman has said numerous times that one of their album is like this or that album (or like The Beatles/Sex Pistols/David Bowie). How original... :rolleyes:

Yeah just look at Bono's silly comments about the last two U2 albums. It isn't like they were bad albums. Uh...nevermind.

It's not the same thing. Saying your record is 'punk rock from venus' or any of those hyperbolic things Bono says, is not the same as saying that you deliberately tried to make your album sound like another band's album.

When you guys blast Chrissy for his lyrics, just think about this: you're all on a forum dedicated to the band whose chief songwriter managed to make "voice" rhyme with "tortoise."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom