Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can say something like: "I don't like Coldplay because of XYZ." Or: "I think Fixed You is the worst song on X & Y because it's a contrived attempt a creating that epic ballad." Or something along those lines.

That's perfectly acceptable. But for me, when someone says those things but adds on stuff like (I'm paraphrasing, of course): "I can't believe you don't see it! How can you not hear it?! What the hell is wrong with you?!" That's crossing the line, in my opinion.

And therein lies the difference, and that, to me, is where the "music is subjective" argument comes in. I don't hear "it" because we all process music differently.

I getcha. :up:

a busker covering AROBTTH in its entirety > X&Y

:lol:

Nice.

You did that cartoon too LM? That is some quality stuff right there. You're a talented dude for sure.

Coldplay themselves are cartoons so it figures that the best possible way to make fun of them would be with a cartoon.

:up:

I don't like Coldplay because they sound the a record companies version of radio friendly Radiohead, ie, they have no real sound of their own, just a "Lite" version of what's around. Which can also be said about most bands, I think.

I don't like Coldplay because they sound the a record companies version of radio friendly Radiohead, ie, they have no real sound of their own, just a "Lite" version of what's around. Which can also be said about most bands, I think.

You can't be serious. They don't sound anything like Radiohead. No real sound? They are the sound of the human spirit whether it be in agony, joy, acceptance or awakening. It is pure and honest emotion. It is an amazing sound if you are willing to listen.

Fix You is the one example of the band trying to have a hit I'll give you that but stuff like Low, X&Y, Square One and others are thought out and creative. They almost had a concept album. If that isn't artistic I don't what is.

But the songs still suck. All three that you mentioned. There are some songs on that album I still like ("The Hardest Part," "A Message," "'Til Kingdom Come"), but the rest is pretty forgettable, to me at least.

Having a concept album doesn't mean you're artistic. Green Day's last album was a concept album, doesn't make them artistic.

The cycle of art makes them artistic.

But the songs still suck. All three that you mentioned.

Having a concept album doesn't mean you're artistic. Green Day's last album was a concept album, doesn't make them artistic.

The cycle of art makes them artistic.

It does mean however that you are going for a statement and something artistic. It might not end up artistic but they are trying. At least they try when so many artists, U2 included, don't try for something more anymore.

At least they try when so many artists, U2 included, don't try for something more anymore.

Condescending much?

Viva sounds like any other Coldplay album except with a larger budget and slightly better lyrics. There's no concept. And there sure as hell isn't a concept on X&Y, which is just as singles-based as HTDAAB. Even Chris Martin himself realizes these things. I just can't fathom how Coldplay of all bands cares more about art than U2. Sounds like bias to me.

They are the sound of the human spirit whether it be in agony, joy, acceptance or awakening. It is pure and honest emotion. It is an amazing sound if you are willing to listen.

:rolleyes:

La%20Marianne.jpg

spirit.jpg

pumpkin-vomit.jpg

Condescending much?

Viva sounds like any other Coldplay album except with a larger budget and slightly better lyrics. There's no concept. And there sure as hell isn't a concept on X&Y, which is just as singles-based as HTDAAB. Even Chris Martin himself realizes these things. I just can't fathom how Coldplay of all bands cares more about art than U2. Sounds like bias to me.

X&Y had threads that ran through it just as Viva does. It is unified. Don't give me that crap about U2 caring about art. They want hits, Grammys and money. They stopped caring about art after Pop. I'm sorry you don't see that. :shrug:

It does mean however that you are going for a statement and something artistic. It might not end up artistic but they are trying. At least they try when so many artists, U2 included, don't try for something more anymore.

That's where I think you're wrong.

Creating 12 songs that compliment each other well onto an album means something. It's music. If it takes you from Feeling A to Feeling B, in a good way, not X&Y making me want to headbutt the nearest child, then it succeeds. Music is creative expression, in any form. I like concept albums when they're done well and don't come off as airy and pretentious. Coldplay doesn't have a firm identity as a band other than the "band that sounds like everyone else." That's not saying I don't like their music or I feel that any band with obvious influences is terrible, but they can't reconcile those influences with an original enough sound to make them their own, you know? Having a "concept" doesn't negate the fact that they're still grasping for their own footing in the realm of rock music - as pompous as that may sound.

You can make the argument that "U2 doesn't care anymore," but I will wholly disagree. All That You Can't Leave Behind is a great album, with songs unique to them at that period of time that still hold up today. Bomb, however, is an overproduced collection of singles with no staying power, and it's one of the band's biggest missteps, in my opinion.

Again, this is all subjective.

X&Y had threads that ran through it just as Viva does. It is unified. Don't give me that crap about U2 caring about art. They want hits, Grammys and money. They stopped caring about art after Pop. I'm sorry you don't see that. :shrug:

U2: The Business wants that, but I still don't think that U2: The Band wants that. When you've had the cultural staying power and consistent musical output as long as they have and hit a snag every once and a while, give me a call. Plus, the fucking Grammys award older rock acts for everything, and who the hell even gauges that for musical quality? It's an honor to receive any type of award, but I don't think they're gunning for that. They're at the point in their career when everyone's awarding them achievements for their accomplishments, and don't you think they deserve some of that? I don't think either you or I are in a position to know for sure, but this explanation isn't as half-assed as yours.

They wanted accessibility; Grammys, hits, and money are the benefits of that.

But I agree with you to a certain extent; you're forgetting The Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack though, and I think your position will be invalid in about 5 months.

Unless you think U2's next album won't top VLV.

X&Y had threads that ran through it just as Viva does. It is unified.

Like what? Cutting down trees, writing hundred-mile-long songs, and igniting bones?

Don't give me that crap about U2 caring about art. They want hits, Grammys and money. They stopped caring about art after Pop. I'm sorry you don't see that. :shrug:

You do understand that this statement is just as mindlessly insulting as Laz calling CMart a pussy, don't you?

They wanted accessibility; Grammys, hits, and money are the benefits of that.

But I agree with you to a certain extent; you're forgetting The Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack though, and I think your position will be invalid in about 5 months.

Unless you think U2's next album won't top VLV.

If it's like HTDAAB, it won't.

But I agree that I think U2 will pull off something special this time around.

You can make the argument that "U2 doesn't care anymore," but I will wholly disagree. All That You Can't Leave Behind is a great album, with songs unique to them at that period of time that still hold up today. Bomb, however, is an overproduced collection of singles with no staying power, and it's one of the band's biggest missteps, in my opinion.

Switch the two around and I agree. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom