Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's odd because I do hear sex and shuffle and soul in their music as you put it and I think that's why I get angry because I don't understand why you can't...

I could in songs like Yellow and Shiver. Not so much in the last couple. The songs are too grand and sweeping for such things...except for Yes, perhaps. The rest of the time they're too busy gathering together the armies of Heaven to battle the demons of the past (X&Y) or whatever. :tsk:

To be fair, the new Supergrass is a pretty pale combination of T. Rex riff-rock and Bowie at his most preening and lyrically sleazy, along with some of the more traditional Britpop that the band is known for. That sounds great, but very few of the songs are memorable (though When I Needed You is pretty great), and playing spot-the-influence is rather easy with that one. I prefer Road To Rouen.

I was underwhelmed with R2R, and while Diamond HH is a bit derivative, at least they're rocking again. Of course, neither of them are as good as LOOP.

I was underwhelmed with R2R, and while Diamond HH is a bit derivative, at least they're rocking again. Of course, neither of them are as good as LOOP.

LOOP features just about everything I love about the band. I can understand the frustration with R2R, but damn, there are some spectacular melodies on that one. Tales Of Endurance? Get outta here. My favorite will always be I Should Coco, because my tastes aren't sophisticated enough to be immune to such a record's charms.

I could in songs like Yellow and Shiver. Not so much in the last couple. The songs are too grand and sweeping for such things...except for Yes, perhaps. The rest of the time they're too busy gathering together the armies of Heaven to battle the demons of the past (X&Y) or whatever. :tsk:

Your telling me a song like Amsterdam or Rush Of Blood or even The Scientist have no soul?

oh, alright then, you just mentioned two songs from Parachutes so I thought you were just refering to it...

As corny as some of the lyrics are, I hear a lot of soul on X&Y :ducks:

And Viva La Vida will take a while to process.

All I hear on X&Y is the faint ka-ching of cash registers in the distance. :wink:

Viva sounds amazing, but I can't help but feel that the songs aren't about anything in particular. I enjoy listening to it, but it doesn't move me.

I just now caught the rerun of Coldplay's appearance on the Daily Show from last night.

I couldn't help but think that Jon Stewart was making some not-so-subtle jabs at the band's choice of clothing during their little interview.

Jon Stewart vs. Chris Martin...

Stewart FTW.

I just now caught the rerun of Coldplay's appearance on the Daily Show from last night.

I couldn't help but think that Jon Stewart was making some not-so-subtle jabs at the band's choice of clothing during their little interview.

Jon Stewart vs. Chris Martin...

Stewart FTW.

:lol: I noticed that too.

Honestly though I can't believe people are making fun of Coldplay's fashion sense on a U2 forum. :wink:

Honestly though I can't believe people are making fun of Coldplay's fashion sense on a U2 forum. :wink:

picture-9.gif

:lol:

Is that Johnny? I like his response: "oh" :lmao:

Yeah, it's Jonny. Took me forever to come up with a half-decent looking model for him. He doesn't have any particularly unusual characteristics. :banghead:

I want to fit that scene into the episode somewhere. It's quite good.

Honestly, I think the "music is subjective, so discussing it is basically pointless" argument that gets made all too often when things get heated is a bit fluffy

You can say something like: "I don't like Coldplay because of XYZ." Or: "I think Fixed You is the worst song on X & Y because it's a contrived attempt a creating that epic ballad." Or something along those lines.

That's perfectly acceptable. But for me, when someone says those things but adds on stuff like (I'm paraphrasing, of course): "I can't believe you don't see it! How can you not hear it?! What the hell is wrong with you?!" That's crossing the line, in my opinion.

And therein lies the difference, and that, to me, is where the "music is subjective" argument comes in. I don't hear "it" because we all process music differently.

:tsk: AROBTTH...

AROBTTH>Parachutes>Viva La Vida>X&Y imo...

I agree. :up:

WIN!! :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom