Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but he takes his own personal experiences and combines them with his humanitarian beliefs, and winds up with a very powerful message. And combine that with his literary influences, which are legion.

Africa! Africa! :lol:

Why do I even need to defend this?

Because it's hilarious.

Do you know why you're on this forum?

No, please enlighten me with that elitist talk you do so well with. I am from New England, you know, so I know what you think about the east coast already.

Being middle-class doesn't make you a loser. Thom Yorke comes from the same background, but he isn't a ponce, and has a hell of a lot of creativity in what he's writing about. There's something very distinct and unique about his viewpoint. Where is the angle that Chris Martin is coming from? Being with a famous actress a few years into your career does not do wonders for the artistic mind.

Thom Yorke is a saint.

No, but he takes his own personal experiences and combines them with his humanitarian beliefs, and winds up with a very powerful message. And combine that with his literary influences, which are legion.

Why do I even need to defend this? Do you know why you're on this forum?

Being middle-class doesn't make you a loser. Thom Yorke comes from the same background, but he isn't a ponce, and has a hell of a lot of creativity in what he's writing about. There's something very distinct and unique about his viewpoint. Where is the angle that Chris Martin is coming from? Being with a famous actress a few years into your career does not do wonders for the artistic mind.

Right, I see what you're saying here, but the background doesn't always dictate the quality. I do think you're right about the Bono/Chris Martin comparison though.

It's like Bruce Willis and Cybil Shephard on Moonlighting. The show succeeded with the will they/won't they sexual tension, but then when they got together, it stopped being interesting and people stopped watching. That's not to say Bono and Chrissy don't have their plushy lifestyles, but you can make that argument that Bono's experiences and literary influences make for more powerful songwriting. You either have writing ability, or not, it can't be taught, and while I think Chrissy's lyrics on this album are an improvement, they will never truly be great or reach out to me on a personal level, which is what it's all about.

Nobody ever said anything about anybody not having the right to express themselves however they want, and make whatever kind of music they want to make. All that was said was that certain people find Chris Martin to be less interesting because he's been through less. That is all.

What?! That is exactly what Laz is saying. If Laz had his way Chris Martin wouldn't be able to express himself.

Tom Chaplain from Keane may look bland and boring but in my mind, his singing voice has much more personality than Chris Martin's and I honestly prefer their 2 studio albums to several others this decade! Great pop songs! :love:

Now THERE is a lame derivative band!

:lol:

I'm not a big fan either, but I like the guy's voice a lot.

Coldplay's a more interesting band musically, but phail vocally and lyrically, while Keane's the opposite. Let's make a trade and see what happens.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

I've actually been fairly serious for a good half hour, if that helps.

not in the slightest :wink:

:lol: Oh well, I tried. But yeah, unlike Beav, I don't think Coldplay is a record label creation. Just a well-intentioned band who occasionally writes a terrible song that sells far better than it should (I don't care for In My Place either). The Coldplay formula works, but I don't think they're trying to exploit it.

Fine, don't answer the question. Or do you like U2 despite Bono's writing over the years? I don't get what you're trying to prove.

And I didn't make disparaging comments about New England, just New York City. Perhaps you missed the part where I said I lived in Boston for 5 years?

As for the influence of women, Screwtape, I love Paltrow, but she's just as privileged and whitebread as Martin. What's that gonna do for him?

What?! That is exactly what Laz is saying. If Laz had his way Chris Martin wouldn't be able to express himself.

I think you're just making stuff up now. Laz did not, nor did anyone else, at any point say or even imply anything about who has or doesn't have the right to do anything. It was about INTEREST, and not the RIGHT. Two completely different things.

Fine, don't answer the question. Or do you like U2 despite Bono's writing over the years? I don't get what you're trying to prove.

And I didn't make disparaging comments about New England, just New York City. Perhaps you missed the part where I said I lived in Boston for 5 years?

As for the influence of women, Screwtape, I love Paltrow, but she's just as privileged and whitebread as Martin. What's that gonna do for him?

The first two paragraphs were to Phanan. Man, I gotta remember to quote.

I'm not a big fan either, but I like the guy's voice a lot.

Coldplay's a more interesting band musically, but phail vocally and lyrically, while Keane's the opposite. Let's make a trade and see what happens.

I really want to agree with this but...

Coldplay = boring vocals + great music

Keane = great vocals + great music... just great all round!

IMO :shrug:

I think you're just making stuff up now. Laz did not, nor did anyone else, at any point say or even imply anything about who has or doesn't have the right to do anything. It was about INTEREST, and not the RIGHT. Two completely different things.

Yeah, I can't believe what I'm writing.

I'm not saying Martin shouldn't be allowed to do whatever, or put up against the wall and shot.

I'm just saying people shouldn't waste their time listening to it.

I like Is It Any Wonder. The rest sounds as dull as the slowest parts of Parachutes, but without the great melodies.

You're right about one thing...

...the negotiations WERE short!

Totally unrelated, but I'm still reeling over Bangs of New York. I found the perfect companion monologue to share. Perhaps I will later.

Love is the most powerful emotion. It brings new and wonderful dreams. It makes you the most human you will ever be. Tapping into one's humanity is a creative force no matter what your mate is like.

That's where I think you're wrong.

Coldplay doesn't have a firm identity as a band other than the "band that sounds like everyone else." That's not saying I don't like their music or I feel that any band with obvious influences is terrible, but they can't reconcile those influences with an original enough sound to make them their own, you know? Having a "concept" doesn't negate the fact that they're still grasping for their own footing in the realm of rock music - as pompous as that may sound.

That was so beautifully articulated, it brought a tear to my eye. Every song I've heard off of Vida, I have this strong sensation of having heard it before. I find myself thinking "that sounds like....arrrgh, can't put my finger on it, but it sounds like someone, like something I've heard before." I find it really frustrating to listen to, so far.

Love is the most powerful emotion. It brings new and wonderful dreams. It makes you the most human you will ever be. Tapping into one's humanity is a creative force no matter what your mate is like.

Wait a sec....are YOU Chris Martin?

/thread. I can't take the rest of this seriously anymore.

I'm not so sure. I think we all, despite outward appearances, have internal demons and struggles. It's a part of being a human. You can come from the most privileged background but still suffer from depression or whatever and have some sort of insight to offer the world—to varying degrees.

The point is, you know next to nothing about Martin's life up until now. Sure he's rich, married a movie star etc...but you have no idea of what he went through, internally, during his formative years.

That was so beautifully articulated, it brought a tear to my eye. Every song I've heard off of Vida, I have this strong sensation of having heard it before. I find myself thinking "that sounds like....arrrgh, can't put my finger on it, but it sounds like someone, like something I've heard before." I find it really frustrating to listen to, so far.

Thank you. :)

Yeah, but if you try and ignore that and take it as it is, it's a fairly good album. I still enjoy it.

Wait a sec....are YOU Chris Martin?

/thread. I can't take the rest of this seriously anymore.

B00000G02H.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The point is, you know next to nothing about Martin's life up until now. Sure he's rich, married a movie star etc...but you have no idea of what he went through, internally, during his formative years.

The proof is in the pudding! If he's got demons, it's certainly not present in the tone of the music or the lyrics.

So he's a whitebread musician who only SEEMS bland on the surface, whereas in reality he's tormented, but doesn't put it into his work.

Interesting theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom