Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion - Page 58 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-31-2008, 01:36 PM   #856
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,414
Local Time: 04:03 PM
Man these setlists are really awful. Couple that with the outrageous ticket prices and I'm sort of glad to be missing them this tour.
__________________

__________________
impy13 is offline  
Old 07-31-2008, 01:39 PM   #857
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,693
Local Time: 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post
Man these setlists are really awful. Couple that with the outrageous ticket prices and I'm sort of glad to be missing them this tour.
I agree - it was the standard hits mixed with new tracks approach - kinda like someone else... I can't think of their name off the top of my head
__________________

__________________
elevated_u2_fan is offline  
Old 07-31-2008, 01:43 PM   #858
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
I agree - it was the standard hits mixed with new tracks approach - kinda like someone else... I can't think of their name off the top of my head
The Dubliners?
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 07-31-2008, 01:44 PM   #859
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,693
Local Time: 10:03 PM
well played my friend... well played.
__________________
elevated_u2_fan is offline  
Old 07-31-2008, 08:59 PM   #860
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
intedomine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7,949
Local Time: 01:03 PM
Hurry up and come to Melbourne...
__________________
intedomine is offline  
Old 07-31-2008, 09:12 PM   #861
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Fanatic4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: nowhere..........man
Posts: 20,254
Local Time: 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
I agree - it was the standard hits mixed with new tracks approach - kinda like someone else... I can't think of their name off the top of my head


this is what annoys me about them (the only thing really) is that they are too chicken to shake up their setlists a little when they tour. It was this way the last two tours that I saw them. Identical setlists every nite.


oh other than they are ripping off U2 nite after nite..
__________________
U2Fanatic4ever is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 03:59 AM   #862
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,039
Local Time: 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by intedomine View Post
Hurry up and come to Melbourne...
How much do you reckon tickets will be man? $99 GA, B&C reserve, $199 A reserve?
__________________
cobl04 is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 09:35 AM   #863
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
intedomine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7,949
Local Time: 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBL_04 View Post
How much do you reckon tickets will be man? $99 GA, B&C reserve, $199 A reserve?
$99, same as U2, they're pretty much as popular as U2 down under, just U2 (understandably) have more hardcore or "proper" fans.

Question is whether they're big enough to do a Docklands gig like U2 and Green Day before them.

Whatever the case, I'll prob try and get front row like I did for U2, which means a camp out..
__________________
intedomine is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 09:47 AM   #864
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,693
Local Time: 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Fanatic4ever View Post
this is what annoys me about them (the only thing really) is that they are too chicken to shake up their setlists a little when they tour. It was this way the last two tours that I saw them. Identical setlists every nite.


oh other than they are ripping off U2 nite after nite..
See, the way I look at it is that if I was a rabid Coldplay fan like I am a U2 fan and went to see them multiple nights then yes, a static setlist would piss me off.

The fact that I went to see them once and they played a good number of new songs that I hadn't heard before is fine with me.

When you look at the setlists on their own they seem pretty stale but when you are there live even overused or lame songs like Fix You or In My Place or Clocks are enjoyable.
__________________
elevated_u2_fan is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #865
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Fanatic4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: nowhere..........man
Posts: 20,254
Local Time: 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
See, the way I look at it is that if I was a rabid Coldplay fan like I am a U2 fan and went to see them multiple nights then yes, a static setlist would piss me off.

The fact that I went to see them once and they played a good number of new songs that I hadn't heard before is fine with me.

When you look at the setlists on their own they seem pretty stale but when you are there live even overused or lame songs like Fix You or In My Place or Clocks are enjoyable.

i see ur point. But I am looking at it from now and the past tours and this is the way they are doing things still. They have a big enough catalogue now that they could mix it up a little. I am not a rabid fan either like I am with U2 and Radiohead and Muse. I am not going to multiple shows either but last tour I saw them twice over a 6 mo. period and they didn't change a single song on the list between the shows I saw and other shows where I saw the setlists. I know they aren't the only band that does this but I guess I am just venting..
__________________
U2Fanatic4ever is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 12:09 PM   #866
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 09:03 PM
Hey, if Radiohead can mix up their sets every night and have an even bigger back catalogue than Coldplay, it can be done.

For a band of "this caliber," I'd want to hear a mix of new songs, classics, and maybe 1 or 2 lesser-known songs. Just changing up the order they play it every night and rotate a few in and out makes it all the more exciting.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 12:13 PM   #867
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,693
Local Time: 10:03 PM
I agree with both of you for the most part, I'm just sayin'

and I'm getting tired of the Radiohead argument... If Radiohead jumped off a cliff, should everybody else follow?

hmm, actually, I supose I might now that I think about it...
__________________
elevated_u2_fan is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 02:02 PM   #868
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Fanatic4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: nowhere..........man
Posts: 20,254
Local Time: 11:03 PM
case in point.. they are running 30 days of coldplay on XM 51 playing all kinds of b-sides, live stuff etc they can surely mix up their setlists..
__________________
U2Fanatic4ever is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 10:31 PM   #869
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Saracene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia, some time after tea
Posts: 6,325
Local Time: 03:03 AM
I still haven't seen Coldplay live so I guess setlists aren't really an issue for me. When they toured A Rush of Blood... I was overseas, and then I was so disappointed with X&Y I didn't even want to see them live. I'll definitely try and see them this time around, probably with a girl at work who is a huge Coldplay fan.
__________________
Saracene is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 11:31 PM   #870
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
I agree with both of you for the most part, I'm just sayin'

and I'm getting tired of the Radiohead argument... If Radiohead jumped off a cliff, should everybody else follow?

hmm, actually, I supose I might now that I think about it...
Ha, yeah, I was just using them as an example because I know they do that with their sets.
__________________

__________________
LMP is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
coldplay, viva la vida

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com