Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion - Page 34 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #496
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Rob, you blatantly said that Life in Technicolor and Where the Streets Have No Name have the same chord progression:



You're literally saying: "You cannot argue that Life in Technicolor is not a rip-off of Streets/COBL because chord progressions and song structure cannot be argued." And now are saying you never said that, and that we are "misinterpreting" your post because you "phrased it incorrectly."

And you're trying to make me believe you, and it's not working. How am I supposed to take anything you say seriously after that? You're telling me one thing when another thing happened. You're trying to make me into a fool, and I'm not having it. And you cannot expect me to take anything you say seriously while you sit here, and yes, cover your own ass. You're trying to cover your blatantly incorrect statement as a misinterpretation to try to be taken seriously. That's covering your ass.

So, I really hope no one engages you any longer unless you stop trying to bullshit us. I find it insulting that you are trying to fool me like this, like I'm not smart enough to notice your mistakes.

The equivalent of what you are doing is if I were to start saying right now and from now on in this thread that I did not accuse you of trying to cover your own ass. I've said it multiple times, but now I'm going to say it never happened and you only believe that because of some poor phrasing. That's the stupidity of what you are trying to do right now.
You know I agree, but just let it go. It's not worth it.
__________________

__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 05:02 PM   #497
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 03:27 PM
Rob, you may hear another song in LIT but it isn't a ripoff. I said U2 stole the riff from Panic In Detriot but Gibsongirl kindly showed me that on paper they aren't the same. So I admitted I was wrong and that I choose a poor choice of words. Don't get offended or defensive about being wrong when someone factually proves something. You should be grateful that someone took the time to correct you. It is perfectly fine to think things sound alike but don't call a band a ripoff because of it.

You really should apologize to Gibsongirl and thank her for taking the time to show you the facts. It enlightened you and should give you a new perspective on the band. You don't have to like them but don't call them ripoffs.
__________________

__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #498
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,289
Local Time: 02:27 PM
Leave Rob33 alone!!!

__________________
GirlsAloudFan is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #499
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
Rob, you may hear another song in LIT but it isn't a ripoff. I said U2 stole the riff from Panic In Detriot but Gibsongirl kindly showed me that on paper they aren't the same. So I admitted I was wrong and that I choose a poor choice of words. Don't get offended or defensive about being wrong when someone factually proves something. You should be grateful that someone took the time to correct you. It is perfectly fine to think things sound alike but don't call a band a ripoff because of it.

You really should apologize to Gibsongirl and thank her for taking the time to show you the facts. It enlightened you and should give you a new perspective on the band. You don't have to like them but don't call them ripoffs.
Well, ElMel and I corrected you about Panic in Detroit, but yeah, same point applies.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #500
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Well, ElMel and I corrected you about Panic in Detroit, but yeah, same point applies.
The three of you did yes. Sorry for not giving you credit.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #501
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,667
Local Time: 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Leave Rob33 alone!!!




Oh man, my sides hurt!!!
__________________

BoMac is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #502
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
The three of you did yes. Sorry for not giving you credit.
I'm just trying to make sure Rob doesn't git nitpicky about the points and misses the important picture, which is why I noted that it was LMel who played it out and commented on it and I who wrote the chords out for the two songs.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #503
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
I'm just trying to make sure Rob doesn't git nitpicky about the points and misses the important picture, which is why I noted that it was LMel who played it out and commented on it and I who wrote the chords out for the two songs.
Okay. I thought of GG because she seemed to correct everyone.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #504
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Rob33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,420
Local Time: 12:27 PM
omfg where do I start....I don't believe my eyes....this is UNREAL....I come back from the beach, and this is what I get...fuck....ok, give me a second
__________________
Rob33 is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #505
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 12:27 PM
Ok, I am most certainly not a huge Coldplay fan, but I decided to give this a listen because....well come on it's the only thing anyone is talking about on the forum right now. Gotta say, I almost stopped after Yes, because I was just not liking it, but I stuck it out, and I'm glad I did, the second half more then makes up for the first (aside from the opening track, man I really liked the opening track.) Not that I entirely hated the first half, Lost (!) was really good. So, I'll think about picking the album up, probably will, I really liked the second half a lot.
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 07:04 PM   #506
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Rob33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,420
Local Time: 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post

You really should apologize to Gibsongirl and thank her for taking the time to show you the facts. It enlightened you and should give you a new perspective on the band. You don't have to like them but don't call them ripoffs.
Ok...I don't understand this...Screwtape...I apologized already, in my first post after GG brought back my original quote...you need to read more carefully or something, I don't know
__________________
Rob33 is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 07:06 PM   #507
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Fanatic4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: nowhere..........man
Posts: 20,254
Local Time: 04:27 PM



part deux...
__________________
U2Fanatic4ever is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #508
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Rob33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,420
Local Time: 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Rob, here's a place to go if you'd like to continue on your level of intelligent conversation:

PLEBA - U2 Feedback
didn't catch this until just now....Lem, what do you have against PLEBA? PLEBA is a nice place...And I do visit there from time to time...but thanks anyway
__________________
Rob33 is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #509
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob33 View Post
Ok...I don't understand this...Screwtape...I apologized already, in my first post after GG brought back my original quote...you need to read more carefully or something, I don't know
If you did that's great.

Can you at least stop calling Coldplay ripoffs? I mean I love Kate Bush maybe more than anyone on the site and they were heavily influenced by her on a few songs: Speed of Sound and Talk. I think it is cool they influenced by other artists I like. Why can't you stop calling them ripoffs and appreciate they like some of your favorite artists. Clearly as Gibsongirl and many, many, many others have shown they aren't stealing other artist's work. So please end the madness and just stop saying Coldplay are ripoffs.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 07:39 PM   #510
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Rob33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,420
Local Time: 12:27 PM


Pfan, how are you doing?

Look dude...I really want you to concentrate on what I'm about to say...carefully read, carefully examine, maybe use a magnifying glass...I really don't know dude...just do something...if you don't realize how off the mark you really are after reading this post, then you need some serious help, and you need to act NOW...just like Bono tells you to do...it's the same idea dude!!! No...I kid...but seriously, try to understand, and please, take me seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
And you cannot expect me to take anything you say seriously while you sit here, and yes, cover your own ass.
Again, please try to take me seriously...if you haven't taken me seriously, then that's probably the reason you are so off the mark...

OK....so you begin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Rob, you blatantly said that Life in Technicolor and Where the Streets Have No Name have the same chord progression:
and then you go on to quote me, let's take another look at that quote:


"how can you say that "Life In Technicolor" isn't a rip of Streets/COBL?!?! Chord progressions, song structure, etc. cannot be argued based on interpretation...it is what it is..." -
Rob33

now, this is where the philly fan goes crazy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
You're literally saying: "You cannot argue that Life in Technicolor is not a rip-off of Streets/COBL because chord progressions and song structure cannot be argued." And now are saying you never said that, and that we are "misinterpreting" your post because you "phrased it incorrectly."


NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dammit philly fan!!! dammit dammit dammit.....

see this is what I've been saying the entire time....I sloppily constructed that post, and said ""how can you say that "Life In Technicolor" isn't a rip of Streets/COBL?!?!"


and then immediately followed that statement up with this:

"Chord progressions, song structure, etc. cannot be argued based on interpretation...it is what it is..."

Do you see? I first mention the Streets/Life... comparison, and then, moving on to a separate thought, mention that some things in music can't be argued based on interpretation, "it is what it is"....I didn't mean to connect the two statements like that in one paragraph...In other words, I didn't mean that the comparison between Streets/Life... "is what it is"...I just meant that some things in music are definitive, like chord progressions...separate from my feelings about Streets/Life In... - my second statement should have been completely separate, but by writing those sentences one after the other in that manner, it seemed like I was inferring that Streets/ Life.. "cannot be argued based on interpretation" ....

I'm trying to think of more crap to say to help you understand...but I honestly cannot right now...do you understand now?!?!? It's so simple what has happened here...yet I'm getting bombarded for silly reasons...I'm not trying to "cover my ass" or anything like that....or "insult" you as you suggested...If anything, you should apologize for randomly accusing me of things...



__________________

__________________
Rob33 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
coldplay, viva la vida

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com